PDA

View Full Version : A 16 month old vs The Airplane Ride

Septbride2002
08-31-2007, 04:10 PM
We are getting close and closer to our Disney Trip :party: and my anxiety is picking up :thedolls:

Our flight leaves here at 11:20a.m. We will need to get to the airport by 10a.m.

My daughter typically eats lunch at 11:)) - so we will probably give her an early lunch at the airport. She typically takes a nap at 12:00. So I"m hoping she will sleep through most of the ride.

Can I take a sippy cup on the plane with milk or juice? I'm afraid of her ears popping.

What advice/tips can you give for a toddler on an airplane?

~Amanda

Gator
08-31-2007, 04:40 PM
We did the same thing in December with a 17 month girl. We had her on a schedule everyday and our biggest fear was that moving the schedule around would make her cranky and ruin the trip. But I've found that curious toddlers are very good at Disney.

The plane trip was OK, she just slept in our laps. We gave her water in a sippy cup during takeoff and landing for the ears. As for naps during the days at the theme parks, we were worried that she would miss them and be cranky. She was taking 2 2hour naps each day. We would let her sleep in the stroller (we brought our own) in the afternoon; but she was like us - she wanted to see it all. Taking her back to the room was terrible. It didn't go well at all, so she slept in her stroller at the parks.

Get the dining plan for 2 adults and she can eat off of your plate. Tha'ts what my wife did.

Try to sit her down in front of the TV and show her video of fireworks. My DD hated the big booms at first, but then got used to them.

Have fun and don't get upset. This will be your kids "coming of age" adventure as all the princesses and characters will come to life. Take lots of video because that's all the kids will ever want to watch. Then, plan on going back.:mickey:

r4kids
08-31-2007, 04:44 PM
Now I don't ususally give this advice BUT since she in unable to chew gum I would highly suggest lollipops(there are healthy pops). They will need to be swallowing during take off and landing. Some airports have different rules on buying juice after going through security and then boarding the plane. Some airlines may make you dump the juice before hand and others may not due to your childs age.

As far as activites maybe a portable DVD player and some Little Ensteins movies, snacks and a couple of toys. Her favorite blanket will also come in handy, if you don't have one Walmart/Target have lap blankets for kids for under $10. We still use those for our kids and our oldest is almost 13. The plane can be rather chilly. Hope this helps!!

kakn7294
08-31-2007, 04:55 PM
You will have to take an empty sippy cup through airport security and purchase something to put in it or use water from a water fountain once you have passed through security. I flew a few weeks ago and took a huge McDonald's cup of coffee without any problem. I don't think you will have any problem taking something for your DD.

EmmMOM2
08-31-2007, 05:21 PM
I brought my 16 month old son on 2005. I brought a pacifier with me and had him use that throughout takeoff and landing as a sippy cup doesn't quite do it. He behaved well, we had him on my lap we didnt get him his own seat. He slept pretty much the entire flight and it was an afternoon flight as is yours. Bring extra snacks and we brough a coloring book and crayons along with us, as well as his mini pillow and "blankie" from home. He was very well behaved on the ride home as well. Dont worry they can sense your anxiety.
Dont worry until their is a problem
good luck!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
09-01-2007, 01:36 AM
We bring an empty cup through security for our DD and then fill it up with water before we board.

My kids ears are really bad on flights so, I bring lollipops, gummy bears, even gum, to try and help with the pain and popping. My Ped recommended that I give them Benadryl an hour before the flight. He says it helps with fluid in the ears if they have any. I am not too sure about that yet. But, I bought Tylenol for them just in case. My middle son was in a lot of pain during the landing last year.

I know your DD is little but, a portable DVD player has been a lifesaver on flights since my daughter was 13 months old. I go out and get some new movies before we leave so I know they will hold her interest. She has also taken a nap on the flight home each year.

My DD has also loved Magna Doodles since she was 1 or so. I pick up a small one each year and bring it with us.

I am sure you will do great. Have a great trip!

Here we go again...
09-01-2007, 05:37 AM
Benadryl does help in more than 1 way. First it does get rid of the fluid in their ears AND it helps to make them drowsy. So, it will help with the pain and calm them a little.

A pacifier does work well too. They swallow a lot more when sucking on one of those.

Minniemouse27
09-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Two things... Benedryl can backfire, for some kids it makes them HYPER.

Second... dd flew five round trips between 17mo and 3.5yrs and never had any ear issues, or discomfort upon take-offs and landings, and we did NOTHING for it.

FWIW, she sat in her car seat every trip and nine out of ten flights she slept 90% of the trip. I love the white noise from the engines!

PirateLover
09-01-2007, 11:29 AM

This is true, it does it to me sometimes. If you have never given your child Benedryl before, I would not start on a plane ride!

vamaggie
09-01-2007, 11:31 AM
I would double check this with the TSA website but I think I remember reading that you can bring liquids for babies/toddlers through security. Sippy cups didn't work too well for my kids but bottles and cups with straws did.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
09-01-2007, 11:42 AM
This is true, it does it to me sometimes. If you have never given your child Benedryl before, I would not start on a plane ride!

My kids have had Benadryl before. I would take hyper with no ear pain if it helped. ;)
In our case, the Ped recommended it for that, not to make them sleepy.
If it happens to make them a little hyper or sleepy I'll take it. My son and daughter were really uncomfortable our last two flights. I know a lot of kids are fine flying, those parents are very lucky. Unfortunatley, 2 of my 3 are not.

It is funny, my oldest son gets hyper with Benadryl and does not have a problem flying. The two that have trouble with their ears take Benadryl for allergies they have and it really does not affect them too much either way.

I just wanted to mention what the Ped told me in regards to Benadryl helping with ear pain in case someone else has the issues with their child like we do. I just had my DD's well appointment last week and asked him about what we could do. So, it was fresh in my mind. ;)

I would absolutely be nervous trying any new medication out while on an airplane or even on vacation.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
09-01-2007, 11:55 AM

Second... dd flew five round trips between 17mo and 3.5yrs and never had any ear issues, or discomfort upon take-offs and landings, and we did NOTHING for it.

You are very lucky your DD was fine. As you can see from my post above, two of my kids are not fine flying and we obviously did not know that until we flew with them the first time. We did not take them on their first flight and decide to treat ear pain just in case. Trust me, I wish we would have had something, anything, to give my son the first flight he had a problem. He was okay on the way there, it was the flight home that was unbearable for him.
I did not even have any Tylenol with me to help him feel better.
Now, my DD is the same way.

So, we do what we can to help them with it. If that means giving them gummy bears on a 7am flight or Benadryl (Ped's recommendation for ear pain) that might make them hyper, I'll do what I have to for them.

I hope I did not come across as saying everyone should give their kids something just in case there might be a problem. I just brought up Benadryl because I have two kids with an issue that I was told it could help. :)

Minniemouse27
09-01-2007, 03:00 PM
I did not even have any Tylenol with me to help him feel better.
Now, my DD is the same way.

I hope I did not come across as saying everyone should give their kids something just in case there might be a problem. I just brought up Benadryl because I have two kids with an issue that I was told it could help. :)

Many times Benadryl is suggested by other parents because of the "drowsy" side effect. A parent I know gave it to her dd for her first flight... to keep her drowsy and easier to deal w/ on the plane... and it was the first time she had Benadryl. The little girl became super hyper on it and made their trip quite challenging.

Ear pain is a totally different issue.

chick20679
09-02-2007, 06:22 PM
On a side note: if your flight leaves at 11:20, you might want to plan on getting to the airport a bit earlier than 10:00... shooting for 9:30 might be a better option, you certainly don't want to start off your vacation by missing your flight. That's my :twocents:. :thumbsup:

teambricker04
09-02-2007, 09:28 PM
First off, I would check with your airline. Call them up and ask them... they will be your best bet for the most accurate information. (TSA site is a good idea too)

Second off, check with your pediatrian what he or she recommends as far as the benedryl goes. I personally would stay way from it, but that is just me. I always give pacifiers, suckers, sippys or bottles, or food.

Is your toddler a lap child? I think it is too hard to bring a DVD player for a lap child. I couldn't have held my toddler for an entire flight without a fight, so make sure you have plenty of entertainment. I agree... Magna doodles are the way to go. Plus, if you eat lunch around take off then bring a treat for dessert. That should also help at take off.

I have never had any issues bringing a sippy of milk or juice through security. Just make sure you have your toddler with the cup. I have never heard of an airline making anyone pour out a sippy, so call and make sure.

scootch713
09-02-2007, 09:36 PM
I would put an empty sippy in your bag... and buy a drink at one of the stores AFTER security...

my biggest tip.. IF you have assigned seats already... board as late as possible(not as early)... the longer on the plane, the worse it is. I actually went over and told them what I was doing and then they let me know when they were about to close the boarding. (my first trip, i errored and got on when they announced infant and small children boarding..... was on the plane an extra 10 min.. and it was an unbearable flight... worked much better when we boarded late)

Septbride2002
09-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Our baby will be on our laps for the flight - she likes being on laps and she also likes books - so I will probably spend the whole 2 hour flight reading her books if she doesn't fall asleep. Also she is a pacifier baby - so that is good to know as well. We'll keep them close by. Also she loves goldfish crackers so we will bring those on with us as well.

I am really hoping she'll fall asleep - for the most part she is an active child and likes to get up and move around. However with new people and spaces she tends to cling to us a bit more.

About being the last to board - that is a great idea - except we don't have assigned seating and I want to be close to the front so that we can get off faster once we land.

~Amanda