PDA

View Full Version : stroller rentals

apequet
08-31-2007, 09:11 AM
Hey all! Going to WDW in 99 days and just trying to figure out everything! How are the strollers at the parks? Are they big plastic ones? Are they easy to move? I know it cost's a bit to rent them but I have a 6 yr old:princess: and I KNOW she won't make it the whole time. Do you think the strollers will hold a 50 pound kid?

Mickey'sGirl
08-31-2007, 09:54 AM
My DS3 is about 45 lbs and they absolutely hold him -- in fact -- I have seen some very long older sibling type kids (aka teens :D) hijack their younger siblings cart for a ride quite easily! The carts are quite sturdy. :thumbsup:

EmmMOM2
08-31-2007, 11:18 AM
For an infant i would say bring your own stroller, but for a 6 yr old who wont likely be spending TONS of time in it renting one works fine. They are plastic and very sturdy so im sure you'd have no problem with a 50lber in them.
Enjoy!

Mary Chase
08-31-2007, 12:19 PM
I think renting a stroller for a child that age is a MUST. We are going in November with a 5 1/2 year old and we are definitely renting one. I think while the Disney strollers are probably uncomfortable at times - they are more durable for an older child. They won't always be in it, but it's nice to have when they get too tired.:twocents:

WTDing
08-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Maybe just skip the stroller and take regular breaks. There are plenty of benches and its not like you'll be walking constantly since you'll be on ride or in attractions much of the time. Kids are more resiliant and have more endurance than some people give them credit for.

Last year our 3 1/2 year old twins didn't need a stroller at all. We carried them once when they got tired during an EEMH but we were on our way out anyway. Of course they never wanted to be in a stroller since they were 2.

They fell asleep fast every night when we got back to the room (after swimming of course) but I wasn't going to complain about that.

laward32
08-31-2007, 01:59 PM
The strollers are nice. You shouldn't have any problem. This year on our first full day and I am going to try my two girls out walking (they are 6 & 7) and see how they do. I think with as much time as you spend having to park the stroller than go back and retrieve it, it will waste too much time. I think they can handle it for a little while. We will definately plan plenty of snack time too, to sit and relax and people watch! ( I love to people watch, especially at Disney) Have a great trip!!!:mickey:
54 days and counting!!!:woohoo:

Texas Tinkerbell Too
09-01-2007, 12:03 AM
We decided to buy & bring our own stroller this year. WE figured the money we would spend to rent one, we could put towards purchasing a new one. We bought a jogging-type stroller with a front wheel that has an unlock feature on it for easy manueverability while in the parks. We like this stroller too because it is a double seater with separate lean back features. Our 4yo can lay back and sleep while our older one sits up and enjoys the ride. Yes, we are the crazy people who like to just keep going and going. So, we feel a stroller is necessary for 9 days at the parks with 2 young children.

mickey&missy
09-01-2007, 08:09 AM
you shouldn't have any problems. We got a double last trip for DD, then 5, and DS, who was almost 4. Figure DD weighed about 45 and DS and 40. We never had a problem pushing it, in fact in was easy.

If your going to rent I would suggest getting the length of stay rental on your first day. They give you a ticket for each day and they stamp it each day. It saves you a few $$.

#1donaldfan
09-01-2007, 10:01 AM
When our DD was 5 (her first trip)....we wondered if we would need a stroller......the first park she went in was AK.....(we were meeting family there)....anyway, we had it in the back of our minds to get a stroller, if we had to, but started off without.....she was walking with us really good for awhile and about an hour into it she started to complain. She said her legs were tired and hot and that if we got her a spray bottle fan she would be ok...we thought, yeah right, but did it anyway. She did!!! She walked with us and kept up just fine, and with very little if any complaints.........the rental strollers are the bulky, plastic type and they seemed to be very mobile and easy to operate.

Main Street Jim
09-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Keep in mind a few things:

1) You can get a "length of stay" stroller rental ticket. I believe it's a bit cheaper than renting day-by-day.

2) Your stroller rental is good all day long at any park you visit, so you don't have to re-rent at another park if you're park-hopping. Just return the stroller at the rental location of the first park, hang on to your rental ticket and receipt, and then just show it at your next park.

3) if you're riding the train at the Magic Kingdom: round -trip, you just leave the stroller at the station. If you're getting off at another stop, leave your rental stroller at the beginning station, and pick up another at your next stop.

4) In Magic Kingdom, there are FOUR stroller rental locations: the main entrance right under the train station; Tinker Bell's Treasures behind Cinderella Castle; Tomorrowland Arcade at the exit to Space Mountain; and in Frontierland at Frontier Mercantile (next to Country Bear Jamboree.

5) In Epcot, two rental locations: the front entrance to the left of SpaceShip Earth, and at the International Gateway between the UK and France pavilions.

:mickey: :thumbsup:

Enjoy your trip!

teambricker04
09-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Yup... made for bigger kids not babies. They are big, but if you need it, you need it. I recommend taking breaks in the afternoon! Have fun!

apequet
09-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Keep in mind a few things:

4) In Magic Kingdom, there are FOUR stroller rental locations: the main entrance right under the train station; Tinker Bell's Treasures behind Cinderella Castle; Tomorrowland Arcade at the exit to Space Mountain; and in Frontierland at Frontier Mercantile (next to Country Bear Jamboree.

Thank you for all this info! I didn't realize that there was more than one place to rent them @ MK! Does anyone know if they have cup holders?

scootch713
09-03-2007, 12:44 PM
They are SOOOOO worth it. You might want to rent a doublefor the extra space. They are very easy to push. My husband does not go to disney and last year I pushed a 4 and almost 6 year old by myself all week.

KAJUNKING
09-03-2007, 12:56 PM
we are thinking about renting one for this trip, my dd8 and ds6 did fine last year without one, but this time we are going with my parents and niece who is 11 and my nephew who is 3, so i think well need it for my nephew, plus i figure with this many people it would be nice just to store stuff

pixiesmimi
09-03-2007, 03:57 PM
We think renting a stroller is more convenient than lugging our own on and off the transportation but have done both. If you rent, take a towel or blanket in case the child wants to lay down. This will make it more comfortable and we have used it for a younger baby also (under a year). They have pockets in the back to put your water bottles, etc. or you can put your bags in the front. They have sunshades on top also.

We didn't know about the multiple rental stations and are glad to hear about that. We wondered about the train and stroller situation. We took our own in June so we could fold it up and take on the train because we knew you couldn't take the rentals on. We wondered about the strollers piled up at the train stations but didn't know you could just pick another one up at the other end. This is good to know for the next time.

iheartmickey
09-03-2007, 10:02 PM
I've been up in the air about taking a stroller or renting one. I just can't decide ... all this info is helping (and making it more difficult! LOL).

I still can't decide ,,, keep the info and opinions coming! :thumbsup:

pennymom
09-03-2007, 10:40 PM
We're renting a side-by-side double for the week from another company. I know DS5 will only spend a bit of time in it, maybe a quick nap. However, I think DS3 will nap in it each day, which is why I rented one that reclines and has a sunshade. I didn't want to buy one to use for just a week and have the hassle of hauling it on and off the plane. So we found a company that delivers to your hotel before you get there and pick it up the morning you leave. Probably a waste of $:whistle:...but the cost was about the same as renting in the parks, and I can take it anywhere for the week. (And I'll probably be happy to have the baskets underneath, as I usually way overpack!

Doing the single digit dance...7 DAYS TO GO!!!!:drummer::trio::rocker:

Main Street Jim
09-04-2007, 11:01 AM
MK, Epcot, and AK all have the "hard plastic"-body type strollers, both single and double (side-by-side). No cupholders; they have like these "net"-type carrying "compartments" (three - one large and two small) on the back of the stroller. Studios (last time I was there, anyways) had a "soft" type almost like a jogging stroller, again, singles and doubles.

Hope this helps. ;)

RBrooksC
09-04-2007, 11:35 AM
From experience, for any children under the age of six, GET A STROLLER!

My wife and I went with friends back in May of 2001. They didn't bring their strollers nor did they want to rent any.

Their father and I spent almost all day each day with children on our shoulders. My shoulders and back ached each day. Finally, we said we would take the kids and rent a stoller so they could have some private time. While they didn't take our offer for private time, they did finally get a stroller and the kids enjoyed themselves so much more. They could fall asleep when they got tired and they didn't always ask us to carry them.

Princess'Mom
09-04-2007, 08:06 PM
The strollers are sooo worth it! Last year when we started off at Epcot, we thought DD was 'old' enough to walk the park. The next day we were renting a stroller. The parks are just a little bit too big for those little legs! This year we rented a stroller for the entire stay. What a relief - when DD wasn't riding in the stroller - our backpack was! The cost isn't that bad as compared to visiting the chiropractor when you return home after lugging your sleepy ones from a night of fun back to the hotel!:thumbsup: