PDA

View Full Version : Free Dining

disneyplates
08-30-2007, 10:54 PM
I have been reading alot of postings and have not really posted too many questions. Can someone tell me about the "free dining" that WDW sometimes does. I know that it is not a regular thing, nor do they announce it, but how would you know about it if you were at WDW during that promotion? Thanks

Seasonscraps
08-30-2007, 11:45 PM
They do announce free dining promotions. For 2007 & 2006, the free dining promotion was for packages booked in the late spring/early summer for vacations scheduled at the end of August through September. I may be a little off with the dates but I believe they are close.

Rodders
08-31-2007, 07:34 AM
In the UK the holidays have to be booked between 23 August and 6 November 2007 for departures 10 August and 27 September 2008.

I would expect Disney to announce similar dates for US guests booking in the spring for holidays taken around 10 August to 27 September 2008.

This is only speculation based on what they have done in the previous years though.

crazeedizneefinatic
08-31-2007, 08:43 AM
I have to agree that there is not much fanfare about free dining. We only learned about it last year from a lady on the bus talking about it, otherwise we would never have known. Also joining Intercot and reading posts I learned the in's and out's. If you are a Disney Visa card holder they do send an email for a special date to book. Also if you visited the Disney website and clicked on "Disney has a surprise for you" or something along those lines during the promotion period they gave you the info. I never once saw a commercial or print ad about it. If you did not know where to look or someone did not tell you by word of mouth, I can see where it is very easy to miss. Everyone (family, friends) I have told about it did not know what I was talking about and thought I was pulling their leg. Free food? I guess they advertise "just enough" to get those rooms filled.

MidnTPK
08-31-2007, 09:13 AM
If you were already in WDW when you heard about it, then it was too late. They advertise these offers well in advance, and when they expire, they expire. Free dining has been advertised in the Washington Post's travel section for the past few years when it came out.

I'll also add that calling it 'free' is a bit of a stretch. The better way to look at it is if you are willing to pay a full un-discounted value season price for your room & ticket inclusive MYW package, they'll add the DDP on for 'free'. The catch is that they usually offer discounts off the room rates during this period too.

Last year, it worked out pretty even: the free dining deal was the same as the room only deal, plus the DDP for 2 adults and a child (though the math works differently depending on your party size).

Another important part of the deal is that it required park ticket purchase, so folks with APs weren't really able to use the free DDP.

So if you normally wouldn't eat a snack and TS meal each and every day, it's better to get a room discount. I don't mean to criticize the free deal ( I used it last year). I just want to make sure that when folks see FREE, all logic does not go out the window.