PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for overpriced gas near Orlando International!

Dr_Nigel_C
08-30-2007, 10:05 PM
Read this earlier today, and thought that folks driving themselves to and from the airport might want to steer clear of this place. Please let me know if this is a duplicate post, or if I should move it elsewhere!

From WXMK Channel 6
http://www.local6.com/news/14009909/detail.html

Motorists Furious Over $4.50 Gas Near Orlando International Airport

Some outraged motorists have scrawled warning messages and curse words on gas pumps after paying up to $4.50 for a gallon for gasoline at a station near Orlando International Airport.

Residents and tourists said they were shocked to see the gas prices at the Landing Strip gas station located on Semoran Boulevard, just north of the airport.

"I didn't even look until I pulled up and I went, 'Holy cow,'" driver Julie Melser said.
Click here to find out more!

There are no signs advertising the high prices at the station.

"So, what do you think about (the high prices)?" WKMG reporter Tony Pipitone asked.

"We're leaving is what we think about it," a motorist said.

Some people improvise after noticing the gas prices.

"I've already swiped my card so I'm getting $1 and I'm out of here," driver Dave Emerick said. "I'll try to make it to the next (gas station). This is ridiculous."

WKMG asked station manager Bob Barnes how he can get away with charging the prices when other gas stations are charging $2.60 or $2.70 a gallon.

"Well, mainly it is volume," Barnes said. "As you can see, the pumps are practically full. Everybody knows what the price is because they have to hit the little lever and they see the price above the lever. And that is how you get away with it."

The Landing Strip is the closest gas station to Hertz and Thrifty car rental returns and the last pumps before the airport.

"It seems like corporate greed," motorist Mark Ferguson said. "Wow, this is just a classic rip-off."

The high prices are not illegal since the state says businesses can charge whatever the market bears for gasoline, unless the governor has declared an emergency.

And, gas stations are not required to erect gas signs showing how much customers will pay, the report said.

John
08-30-2007, 10:36 PM
If I lived around there - I would make it my personal mission to stand in front of this station with a sign quoting the outrageous price every day.

I am one of the people who got ripped off by this station - I was in a hurry and running late or I would have left.

Sleaseball.

chrim
08-31-2007, 12:02 AM
I have been warned by the staff at the Orlando airport Hertz (just across the street) never to stop at this place for gas. I can see why! It once was a Chevron, but I am not sure if it still is.

It takes a bit more time, but another 2 or 3 blocks north of the airport there is a Mobile on the left (west) side of the street. Gas prices are much more reasonable. Take a left, or U-turn at the traffic light, and you are there. When leaving, turn right (heading south) to get back to the airport. Just remember to take the northbound exit off of the Beeline (or Beachline) instead of the airport exit (which sends you to the south).

It also seems like the Hess stations on Disney property are fairly reasonable as well. But, if you have a rental car, I think you would need to fill up closer to the airport.

2Epcot
08-31-2007, 12:28 AM
I am one of the people who got ripped off by this station - I was in a hurry and running late or I would have left.

I'm sure that is what they count on ... People in a hurry to catch their flight, and return their rental cars.

Scar
08-31-2007, 01:32 PM
The obvious answer is that someone needs to open a station across the street or next door and put up a big sign that says "$1.00 / Gal less than next door!"

KylesMom
08-31-2007, 01:55 PM
Man, our Attorney General in Illinois, Lisa Madigan, would be ALL OVER this for price gouging! That's unbelievable! :mad:

Polynesian Dweller
08-31-2007, 02:45 PM
It also seems like the Hess stations on Disney property are fairly reasonable as well. But, if you have a rental car, I think you would need to fill up closer to the airport.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but that raises an interesting possibility for beating the high price near MCO. Does anybody know if filling up at Hess at Disney will work for looking full when you arrive at MCO? And is it OK to do this?

mook3y
08-31-2007, 02:58 PM
Wow, that is almost as bad as what has happened here in Nebraska. There is a gas station(s?) that have billboards taht advertise along I-80 gas that is around 40 cents cheaper per gallon than anywhere else.

Well, the deal is they only offer that price on only 2 of their pumps.:mad:

I wont post here what I think about that. After all... this is a family oriented site....

mttafire
08-31-2007, 03:14 PM
The obvious answer is that someone needs to open a station across the street or next door and put up a big sign that says "$1.00 / Gal less than next door!"
Agreed. Also,In no way do i want government to "step in" and CONTROL prices. The simple fix to this problem is exactly stated above..competition. If another close station would offer gas for less then thats where folks would go...NOT to support the owner of this VERY expensive gas station BUT..If folks are willing to pay the extra high prices then...He aint doing anything wrong. Just good ole fashoned supply and demand. I think that it should be common knowledge that Hess on Disney property IS very competative. Like others have said..."Fill up there" your gas tank will still read full when you return the rental car.

Momof2boys
08-31-2007, 04:00 PM
This is why I hate rental cars. Twice on a trip (not to FL) I honestly forgot to fill up before returning the car. $4.50 is almost cheap compared to what I had to pay. Now I prepay for the gas. Yes, it's a bit more however I hate driving around trying to find a gas station because we are usually running late.

But from a Disney standpoint, one more reason DME appeals to our family.

DisneyDudet
08-31-2007, 05:58 PM
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but that raises an interesting possibility for beating the high price near MCO. Does anybody know if filling up at Hess at Disney will work for looking full when you arrive at MCO? And is it OK to do this?

We fill up at the Hess before we bring the car back, and we've never had a problem.

battle beast
09-01-2007, 09:41 PM
WOW. rthis is big news for me, since I am renting a car (Thrifty, a close one to this station) for the first time when I go in November, so if the prices are high, We'll gas up elsewhere!

Thanks for the heads up!!!:number1:

MinnieMommie
09-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks for posting this story and letting people be forewarned. What an incredible ripoff! :(

Dracula766
09-05-2007, 12:58 AM
They've been doing it for years.

I actually almost fell for it 2 years ago. There was no sign with the gas prices and right before i put my card in I saw how steep it was.

Got in the car and went back to the gas station i'd passed up a few blocks before.

that was not cool

Figaro
09-06-2007, 12:51 AM

Not to pull off topic either... The Hess stations on Disney are at 2.50 a gallon last time I drove by (2 days ago). The rest of Orlando that I've noticed are all in the high 2.60s. Every saved cent counts thought. Take the chance to fill up for those who are visiting, or staying on property. :thumbsup: On topic, that's amazing. I'm surprised the city hasn't done anything.

Marker
09-06-2007, 02:03 PM

Actually, to me, it seems that the obvious answer is to allow time to get gas somewhere else.

It really shouldn't be that much of a surprise, I've seen that at other airports too, maybe not to that degree, but I've definitely seen higher priced gas close to the airport.

The station owner is taking advantage of OUR weakness... people are running late, so they're willing to pay more. Is that his fault, or ours.

LudwigVonDrake
09-08-2007, 06:04 PM
Another good reason to use Disney Magical Express :tink: