PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard/used this??

Terra
08-30-2007, 07:59 AM
I'm actually asking for a friend and her family who are coming down for NY to visit WDW in Dec!! woo hoo...

Anyway she found an E-book that you can purchase called: The Ultimate Disney World's Savings Guide 2007 by the author Beth Haworth.

It claims to save a family a bunch of money.
Anyone ever heard of this or read it or know whether or not it's one of those Catch 22 things??

Oh and the author says she's also a former Cast Member who knows the ins and outs.

TIA fellow Intercotees!!

kakn7294
08-30-2007, 09:07 AM
I've heard of it but never used it. I've always been leary of books and sites like that, especially when you have to pay for them. I figured it's just a bunch of recommendations like going during value season and eating lunch versus dinner at TS. Maybe someone else can enlighten us as to whether it's worth it. Try looking at {site removed per Terms of Service} website for some ideas on how to save money - it's free and Mary has some useful tips.

Terra, did you change your avatar? I thought you had the Epcot "golfball" before. Maybe I'm crazy!

Terra
08-30-2007, 09:11 AM
Ohh...thanks! I'll pass along the site to her!!

I did just change my avatar!! LOL...
Time to "freshen up" my look...he he....

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
08-30-2007, 09:18 AM
I just came across this particular site yesterday and I too was wondering if it was legit or worthwhile. It sounded good at first, but the more I read the more skeptical I became (for the same reasons kakn7294 stated above).

Besides, I'd be willing to bet all those money-saving tips are right here on INTERCOT for free.

Terra
08-30-2007, 09:33 AM
I just came across this particular site yesterday and I too was wondering if it was legit or worthwhile. It sounded good at first, but the more I read the more skeptical I became (for the same reasons kakn7294 stated above).

Besides, I'd be willing to bet all those money-saving tips are right here on INTERCOT for free.

:thumbsup:Yup!! That's what I'm thinking too!!

And like you guys said...we all know that it's cheaper to eat at CS...buy kids meals...and all that...

cheshirecollector
08-30-2007, 11:29 AM

I've read reviews of that book, and people seem to say that the tips can be found on sites like Intercot. The book is basically for those who haven't done research like we have.

brownie
08-30-2007, 11:39 AM
You can probably start saving money on your trip right now by not buying the e-book. I checked out the book, Disney on a Dime from the library, and it really didn't tell me anything I didn't already know or couldn't find here on Intercot.

I think the biggest impact on what you spend on your trip is when you go and where you stay.

Terra
08-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Thanks everyone!!
I'll pass along the input!!

AND I've told her about Intercot and how she really needs to join!!! LOL

BigRedDad
08-30-2007, 02:37 PM
I bought it for $5 off eBay. The guy is selling them for $15 now. In my opinion, it was a waste of $5. You can find all the info here. It is basically written as common sense. What I mean, their tips say if you go during Value season, you will save more than going during Peak season. DUH! The other tips are n the lines of: if you pay $20 for a meal, you can save $10 by spending $10 on a meal. Completely ridiculous. It did have one point that I did not know about but found here. You can rent DVC points from DVC members to stay at a Deluxe resort.

Save your money. Put that into your Disney savings jar. If it wasn't for the stupid disclaimer in the book, I would resell it on eBay for $5.

January-2007
08-30-2007, 02:48 PM
if you pay $20 for a meal, you can save $10 by spending $10 on a meal.

:jaw::funny: That's the strangest advice I've heard in a while. :spend:

mjesq
08-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Anyone notice that there is a jumpsite ad for this book at the bottom of this page ;)
("ex-disney employee talks")

CleveRocks
08-30-2007, 11:56 PM
Before my first trip, I did exhaustive Internet research and learned all I needed to know. I saw the ad for the e-book on another site. I e-mailed them because I questioned how much I could learn.

To his credit, the author's brother sent me the password to access/download the book, and took me on my honor that I'd pay if I found it helpful.

Well, the first thing I checked was Disney's Magical Express information; the service was fairly new at the time, and outside of Disney employees and their subcontractors I knew about as much about DME as anyone else out there, and apparently I knew more than the "insider" author. They had many glaring errors (such as incorrectly telling people that if they are not flying a "participating airline" that they have to get their own bags at baggage claim and aren't eligible to get their bags automatically delivered to their resort).

Beyond that error, I found NOTHING I hadn't previously learned on other message boards and sites (sorry, I hadn't yet found Intercot). He agreed not to charge me. In his e-mail, he allowed that someone who is not already well-informed can save a lot of money using his sister's "insider tips," but that someone who'd already done a lot of research wouldn't find any new info that would help save money.

So it may be a very valuable resource for someone just learning, but for "seasoned pros" it doesn't have much to offer.

Terra
08-31-2007, 07:29 AM
CleveRocks and BigRedDad!!
Thanks so much....!!!

I figured as much but I told her I would ask...I don't even buy any books since I have you guys and Intercot!! :)

Yeah, the whole ex-disney employee thing made me laugh too....especially now that I know she even made errors!

Gosh, maybe we all oughta write a book and make money!:blush:

pixiesmimi
09-01-2007, 05:27 PM
I bought the book after seeing it advertised on this site. It was good and I used it alot for ideas. I did find a lot more information on Intercot but still use both of them. She publishes an update on line everytime there is an update or something changes. You can download all the updates for free. She says you can share the e-book with others but can't sell it which is why I wonder how the guy can get buy with selling it on eBay. I think using her book and this site have helped me a lot and I'm addicted to this site now. :) I haven't found any mistakes in the book yet that I know of. It didn't have as many secrets as I thought it would from a former CM but it did have a lot of things I didn't know about. Those ideas led me to ask questions here to get answers to things I wondered about. I thought it was as worth the money as the books you pay as much for in the book stores plus it being an e-book, it never wears out and is constantly updated for free.

Terra
09-01-2007, 06:23 PM
I bought the book after seeing it advertised on this site. It was good and I used it alot for ideas. I did find a lot more information on Intercot but still use both of them. She publishes an update on line everytime there is an update or something changes. You can download all the updates for free. She says you can share the e-book with others but can't sell it which is why I wonder how the guy can get buy with selling it on eBay. I think using her book and this site have helped me a lot and I'm addicted to this site now. :) I haven't found any mistakes in the book yet that I know of. It didn't have as many secrets as I thought it would from a former CM but it did have a lot of things I didn't know about. Those ideas led me to ask questions here to get answers to things I wondered about. I thought it was as worth the money as the books you pay as much for in the book stores plus it being an e-book, it never wears out and is constantly updated for free.

Ahhh..a different perspective!! Thank you!!!

scootch713
09-02-2007, 08:52 AM
I too bought it... the biggest thing I learned was about renting dvc points... and there is HUGE savings in doing that. I could have gotten 6 nights at OKW for $700!! Since I am traveling alone with my kids though, I decided to go deluxe again this year.. but in a few years when they are older.

RockChalkKimball
09-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Don't waste your money on this one. I bought it and found it a waste of money. As another poster said, the info about DVC renting was the only thing I didn't know about, only because I had never looked at for. Spend time on Intercot and you will learn everything you need to know!!