PDA

View Full Version : Planning an Itinerary

Tx. Mom
08-29-2007, 10:07 PM
This will be our first trip to Disney World in January 08! We are so excited! Our boys are 12,9, and 5 and daughter is 2. We're doing the MYW w/Hopper. I've planned to split each day between two parks, ending w/ an ADR at the park with EMH. (i may go back to the resort w/ our daughter while the boys stay late) Is this a good plan or am i making it complicated? Should we go to the EMH park or avoid it?

KAT1811
08-29-2007, 10:35 PM
I am honored to be the first to :welcome: welcome :welcome: you to Intercot, I think you're going to like it here!!!

Secondly let me congratulate you on your first post!!! :congrats:

On to the planning. Some additional information would be helpful. When are you going? For how long? Where are you staying (on property or off)?

First off, take the time to look at the variousposts here there are a ton of tips and learned tricks. Don't be afraid to ask a question, the only stupid question is one that was never asked. We live to give our advice to first timers like yourself.

Let your children do the guiding. We have 3 DDs and have never had to leave early or take a mid-day break but not everyone's children can go, go, go like ours. Our DDs nap in the stroller if needed and have no problem dozing off at night.

As tons of questions about dining, tips and everything you can think of. My advice on the dining, take the time to review menus and locations well in advance and have an idea of where your first picks for dining are and also have a list of second choices to follow up in case something isn't avaliable. Most importantly try your hardest to make your dining on the 180th day prior to your arrival, in order to insure you get the venues and times you want!

Look forward to helping you as much as possible. How exciting!!!

faline
08-30-2007, 05:54 AM
Welcome to Intercot! How exciting to be planning your first trip!

You'll find mixed thoughts on extra magic hours. Some folks will recommend that you avoid the park having the extra magic hours; others will recommend tht you take advantage of the extra magic hours, particularly when they fall in the morning.

With the park hopper, you always have the option of leaving a park if you find it's too crowded to suit you.

Tx. Mom
08-30-2007, 08:07 AM
Thanks! We are going Jan. 26-Feb.2, staying at the Poly. I've searched the discussion boards and have read mixed reviews on EMH. Our kids like to go, go, go. i don't anticipate ever going back to the hotel for a break--they would be jumping off the walls!! I thought the boys might enjoy staying late--but was worried about planning every day as a "hopping day" --starting off at another park and ending at an EMH park. I've made all my ADR except one, mostly at the EMH parks. (late dinners, bc we don't like to rush in the mornings and can do the CS for lunch) The more i plan the more excited i get, but now i'm second guessing my plans! I'm just beginning to look at the activities at each park...do you plan your daily route too??

Fortgoofy97
08-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Welcome to INTERCOT! It's been 10 yrs since our first trip and each is just as exciting! The key word for your planning, "FLEXIBLE". Your plan to hop to a diferent park in the afternoon is good but you may find you are enjoying a park and not want to hop! That's where the flexibility comes in. Since you have your ADR's set up maybe keep them and if you want to stay in the morning park, just hop right before your ADR. On our first trip we planned to go back to the resort in the afternoon for relax time - nah - never happened! We left the room at 8am and came back at 8-10PM. EMH is fine but again play of the kids - they may not want to stay or the weather may not cooperate! Relax you will have a blast and the memories will last - especially the looks on their faces when they first get there!!! :cloud9:

KAT1811
08-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Being at the Poly it will give you more opportunity to take a break if your little one needs it.

What we do, and it works well for us, is plan our days and the parks we would like to visit. I try to go on the days that each specific park is supposed to be the most quiet. We do however like to indulge in the evening EMH. We fing the morning to be way too early for us to get everyone up and ready. Many people love them but we do not care for them as they are often too early, as I said, and the park tends to draw a larger crowd as a result.

After we've planned our days we reserve the right to park hop if we care to. Often we spend a half day at Animal Kingdom and then hop to another park and towards the end of the vacation we often start at one park and end at another. I do plan a day at a specific park but I don't plan the park we hop to. I hope that made sense. I try to let everyone figure out where they would like to hop to rather than plan it. Sometimes we start at one park and end at another because we have dinner ADRs.

I would love to know what you chose for your ADRs.

I do not plan our routes as we tend to tour in the same fashion each year. Some pointers in that area I would give would be:

1.) When touring the MK head directly through the castle and do the Fantasyland rides first thing in the morning. These attractions tend to draw large crowds and as a result long lines mid-day. First thing in the morning you will have a very short wait if at all.

2.) Treat Epcot as two separate parks, or plan to tour in two days instead of one). The park is quite large and in order to see and enjoy everything you need a couple of days. Seeing as it is your first time you'll want to spend a decent amount of time at each attraction and country.

3.) Research the Fastpass and make sure you have a decent understanding on how it works prior to your vacation. This system can very significantly shorten your wait times at the most popular attractions.

I'm sure that I, as well as everyone else here, have a billion tips and suggestions for you. I'll try to think of some more and get back to you.

Tx. Mom
08-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks so much for all the tips, especially on how to navigate the parks! Such a big help! I think our ADRs are late enough to do just what you recommended: stay at the first park as long as we want and can switch just in time for dinner if we were having too much fun. Our ADRs are:
Chef Mickey, Le Cellier, Whispering Canyon, (can't decide on the next night), Ohana's to watch Wishes, Coral Reef, and lastly Hollywood and Vine for the Fantasmic Dinner package. We have a 9 year old boy who likes to eat, so i'm trying to find another place that is fun, but has more to offer him than chicken nuggets :blush:

Tx. Mom
08-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Thanks so much for all the tips, especially on how to navigate the parks! Such a big help! I think our ADRs are late enough to do just what you recommended: stay at the first park as long as we want and can switch just in time for dinner if we were having too much fun. Our ADRs are:
Chef Mickey, Le Cellier, Whispering Canyon, (can't decide on the next night), Ohana's to watch Wishes-i think that's the fireworks that we can watch at that time), Coral Reef, and lastly Hollywood and Vine for the Fantasmic Dinner package. We have a 9 year old boy who likes to eat, so i'm trying to find another place that is fun, but has more to offer him than chicken nuggets :blush:

julyjewel
08-30-2007, 05:53 PM
:congrats: On taking your first trip. I just took mine about 3 weeks ago. Pace yourself and try to prioritize. :welcome:

wdw_bound
08-30-2007, 07:48 PM
Given that you are going in January, I'd say definitely take advantage of EMR - the parks close earlier at that time of year, so you'll need EMH to maximize your park enjoyment.

Last trip, DD9 and I enjoyed some special "Girls Night Out" time during evening EMH while the boys (DH and DS2) took a few boat rides on Bay Lake before heading back to our room at WL.

Our two fun places are Ohana and Whispering Canyon. Other places we enjoy are Crystal Palace, Liberty Tree Tavern and Princess Storybook breakfast. We are going to try Biergarten in December, but I've heard it has a good menu (buffet) and a fun band.

Enjoy planning - for me, the planning is almost as addictive as the going :blush:

vamaggie
08-30-2007, 09:04 PM
I would say to also let the kids moods/pace dictate what/how much you do. Especially with the 2 yr old, you may need to take things in steps. When we first went our DS was 4 and even though he did not need a nap anymore, we found that going back to the resort after lunch for some pool/chill time really gave him more energy for the evening. Still he usually konked out by 8:30 every night. Pacing yourself is the best bet. Also, if you have not already, order the custom maps. They are beautiful and can help you make a "plan of attack" for each park (also make a nice--free--souvenier) Enjoy your first (of hopefully many) trips!!!

Tx. Mom
08-31-2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks for all the great advice! With ease, I actually switched ADR dates a bit to give us longer at each park. The changes also gave us a little time to rest if needed, although i don't think that will happen!) Thanks again!