PDA

View Full Version : Superbad-SuperOverrated?

PirateLover
08-29-2007, 09:29 PM
OK So I saw Superbad last week but just decided to post about it now.
Was it funny- yes. Was it gross- oh yea. Did I laugh a lot- yes. But I really don't think the movie was THAT great. I mean I've heard people describe it as an "instant classic." Huh? Are we that starved for good movies these days? It currently has an 87% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes and 8.5 stars out of 10 on IMDB. I dunno, I just don't get the hype. What really makes me laugh is how some reviewers are calling it "refreshingly authentic." Sorry? The whole cop storyline was completely outlandish, although those were my favorite bits of the movie. Pouring out bleach containers and then pouring beer into them? Funny yea, authentic....I should hope not!

For those of you who have seen it, what are your thoughts?

cubbie
08-29-2007, 11:13 PM
It was probably my least favorite movie of the summer. I laughed really hard at the cops and McLovin, but I agree that it is overrated. I loved Wedding Crashers and 40-year old Virgin, but this just seemed to take raunchy to the next level, which is apparently what people want. I prefer substance over raunch, and this movie just didn't do it for me. Apparently, I'm in the minority according to reviews and ticket sales, but I would watch Ratatouille and Transformers about fifty more times before I watch Superbad again. Nothing against those who enjoyed it, but I can't say I enjoy a movie when I cringed more than I laughed.