PDA

View Full Version : Big Old Packing!

Clotho
08-29-2007, 06:10 PM
So hubby and I are leaving in the AM for 10 days in the World. I honestly am in complete denial that we are finally ready to go!:mickey:

However, tonight being our last night to pack or pare down, I just have to get some validation. I feel like I am packing a GAZILLION pounds of stuff! Ten days in September means about 20 outfits. We will be sweating through our clothes all day, and after our afternoon rest, we will undoubtedly want to change into something else for the evening that is clean and fresh. That's a LOT of clothes!

Then we want to have two bathing suits, in case one isn't dry in 24 hours. And we want several pairs of shoes--a few comfy shoes for day, and a pair of nice shoes to go with evening dinners. And the list grows...

We rarely travel with more than one large suitcase and a carryon or two. Now we are already filling two large suitcases plus a carry on. ANd it feels ridiculously excessive, even though we know we need the things we are packing.

Does anyone else feel like they pack waaaay too much?

And if so, do you find that once you get there, you really did pack too much? Or do you find you pack the right amount after all.

2Epcot
08-29-2007, 06:15 PM
I always feel like I pack way too much. My wife actually does a better job then me. She manages to get so much more in a smaller suitcase then I do. I'm also one of those who want to make sure I have enough clothes ... I don't do laundry on vacation.

rdmtlm
08-29-2007, 06:38 PM
My wife and I are 57-58 years old. We go to WDW about every other year and we pack about like you described. It's nice to have fresh clothes and neither of us is willing to do laundry. We don't necessarily have two outfits for EVERY day, but when we feel we really need to have a fresh outfit, we have one available.
See how it goes on this trip. You'll probably make a few adjustments for next time.
Roger

ps. Don't forget that you'll probably have to pack some souvenirs for the trip home.

disneykat
08-29-2007, 06:54 PM
We leave for WDW in 3 days and I'm a mission to see how light I can actually pack. We're staying 7 nights and I'm only planning to take 4 outfits per person. We typically take a break from the parks in the afternoon and my kids like to spend that time at the pool. My plan is to wash one dark load and one light load half-way through the trip during during the pool break and not have to deal with all of the extras. I'm hoping to get by on three carry-on bags. I usually way overpack and I decided I didn't want to stress over it this trip. To each his own. . . .:mickey: The magic begins in 3 days!!

disneymom15
08-29-2007, 06:58 PM
We always over pack. More clothes than we need. We also like to freshen up mid afternoon but never go through all that we've packed.

rdmtlm
08-29-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm interested in how that works out for you, DisneyKat. Next time we go with grandchildren, that might make a lot of sense.

Donald
08-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Don't forget, if your flying, your checked baggage cannot be over 50lbs!! (or you will be charged) :plane::unsure:

snifflesmcg
08-29-2007, 07:08 PM
That is alot of luggage!!! My mother packs like that but I am the polar opposite. I pack what I need. In the end, my mother always packs too much and has alot more (heavier) bags to carry than I do. I'd try to lessen the load if I could to make it easier for you.

LauraF
08-29-2007, 07:49 PM
We're leaving in 9 days and I'm going to start packing over the weekend.

I'm a super-light packer, mainly because I used to pack too much and regret it. I wash a lot of my clothes in the sink at the hotel to save on room, but even if I choose not to, I usually pack such light/compressible outfits that it doesn't matter. I also pack only one outfit for each day - I invested in clothes that wick sweat away so they dry very fast. I've worn them several times already this summer to make sure they work and they really do! (Must have two pairs of socks per day though. Wet feet, ewwww.) Usually two pairs of shoes so I can switch out as needed, but nothing more. I usually can fit a trip for 8-10 days in one suitcase.

See you down at the World!

divinedi
08-29-2007, 08:11 PM
I keep trying to take less and less, I always come home with clothes that I never wore, and it's kind of annoying, shlepping isn't my thing. I do do laundry when I'm there though, the same as a previous poster, a pool afternoon to relax and I sit and read for a bit while I do a couple of loads. Works out great, doesn't really take that long and does keep you from taking a lot of stuff. But whatever works for you is best, of course!

iheartdisney
08-29-2007, 08:13 PM
My plan is to wash one dark load and one light load half-way through the trip during during the pool break and not have to deal with all of the extras.

After being a chronic overpacker for years I finally have it down to a science. For a 10 day trip I would pack for 6 days (1/2 the time there plus 1) and add one "dressy" item for a dinner out. Then do as disneykat suggested and do one load each, lights and darks, during a pool break or early night in. Yes, it's an added expense but worth it to us with less bags to keep track of. My husband has said that what we've saved in having to tip the bellman to handle the extra bags just goes into the laundry fund. Of course, he isn't the one having to do the laundry.......hmmmmmmm.......

MMouse6937
08-29-2007, 08:32 PM
I totally agree with the laundry idea. Last year we packed so much so this year I said no more. I'm packing 5 outfits and washing halfway through. I also don't bring much make up or hair stuff. Too hot for all that. I just pull my hair in a pony tail, some mascara, lip gloss and I'm done. I also don't bother with lotion, etc. The humidity keeps my skin soft anyways, don't want to slime it up with more stuff. It makes packing a lot less. Unfortunately I have the camera, cancorder, chargers, batteries, etc, etc, etc. That takes up it's own bag!! Have a great trip everyone. 19 more days!! :mickey:

DestinationWDW
08-29-2007, 08:36 PM
:blush: I pack JUST like you! My DH hates it ...but I'm the one that does the laundry after all... We went the 1st week of August :thedolls:. I packed 2 shirts for each day with 1 pair of shorts (2 pairs of socks/undies with those) and 3 extra outfits "just in case" ! Well, I came home with exactly 3 clean outfits it was that hot. More socks because I wore my flip-flops more than I thought! We had 1 carry on just for shoes! (5 people in our family). :mickey:

Clotho
08-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Don't worry about the weight. I travel all the time as I teach workshops around the US and Canada, and I vend items so always have a big bag full of items for sale. So I have to get good at making sure the weight doesn't go over!! I am surprisingly good at getting right at 48/49 lbs just by feel!!

I refuse to do laundry on my trip. Okay, I kinda wish I could justify it so we could take less, but I hate the idea of doing ANYTHING domestic on my vacation! I think if I had to pack for a larger family I would feel differently. For instance, I have no interest in a DVC room so I can have a kitchenette, since I don't want to cook anything on vacation. But if I had a family to feed, I might feel differently. So I think there is just a difference there for a pair of adults versus a family.

Maybe I will pare down and then IF I need to do laundry, I will. But I may not go through the clothes as I imagine, and then no laundry AND no extra schlepping...something to think about...

Thanks for the responses so far!

tinksmom02
08-29-2007, 10:16 PM
I always overpack WAAAY more than we need! It was especially bad on our last trip because the weather was so unpredictable--I packed swimsuits, shorts, pants, sweatshirts, sneakers, flip flops, etc...

For next month I am making a valiant effort to pare down the packing. DH likes to do laundry halfway through the trip, and again the night before we leave (so we don't have to do laundry when we get home. He's one smart cookie, my DH ;)) So I'm thinking about 5-6 outfits each?

What I consistently run into problems with (even for an overnight somewhere) is toiletries. Contact solution, glasses, meds, shampoo, conditioner, hair products, lotions, etc. And I don't even wear ANY makeup--just chap-stick! But even though I can get trial sizes of most of that stuff, I can't live without ANY of it LOL

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-30-2007, 12:02 AM
Well, when it was only DH and I we would pack very light and do NO laundry when we were there.

We added the two boys and started doing a load or two while they played in the pool at our Mod or Value resort.

Now we have our DD so we are a family of 5. This year, we joined DVC and will be doing a load most likey every night...while cooking dinner. :laughing:

I long for the days of packing for two. ;)

Have a great trip!!

Mnchknbrat1982
08-30-2007, 12:21 AM
this is just my thought on how I probably will pack. I am only going to bring 1 outfit for days we are traveling or not in the parks. The days we are in the parks I think I may bring 2 outfits. Especially for the ones that we know there is a chance to get wet. So I am looking at a total of 13 outfits. From Friday-Saturday. Since we will be leaving Friday to go to Florida and won't be returning till Saturday to Indiana. As we plan to stop at the Georgia Aquarium on the way home.

gueli
08-30-2007, 04:54 AM
I am a chronic overpacker. my dw hates it. I am going to try to pack lighter, but who knows...
:mickey:

disneynarula
08-30-2007, 07:42 AM
I always to a couple loads of laundry halfway through the trip.

Clotho
08-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Just thought I would update. I leave in a few hours.

We definitely packed overweight (we hadn't hefted them yet when I last spoke, but knew it would need paring). So we pared down. And pared down...and added a carry-on. Don't worry--we are bringing less than that sounds like! But I have had a back issue for months, and I didn't want to carry my laptop bag around. SO we decided to have me carry a very light carry-on, with a few items in it, and then stick my laptop bag in it so I can wheel it onto the plane. Then pull it out and stick it under my seat and put the carry-on in the overhead. Hope this works out!

In any case, I still feel sufficiently overpacked. LOL But not so bad as I did, which seems strange when you know I added an additional bag to the mix! :secret:

LauraF
08-30-2007, 09:30 AM
What I consistently run into problems with (even for an overnight somewhere) is toiletries. Contact solution, glasses, meds, shampoo, conditioner, hair products, lotions, etc. And I don't even wear ANY makeup--just chap-stick! But even though I can get trial sizes of most of that stuff, I can't live without ANY of it LOL
One trick I've found with that problem (which I have too)is to buy really small containers and transfer stuff down even from the travel size packaging. I have a men's, soft-sided shaving bag and if it doesn't fit in that, I don't bring it! (Nor have I missed much in the past.)

My kit has:
A folding brush/comb, 1oz bottle soap/body wash, folding toothbrush, 1oz bottle of shampoo/conditioner, small two-shade blush w/mirror (which doubles as eyeshadow), 1/2oz tube of toothpaste (my dentist gave it to me), travel size deoderant, 1/2 oz tube of lotion, teeny bottle of eyedrops, tinted lip balm (so I don't need lipstick). Believe it or not - I can use that for a week; two if I'm conservative.

pugslave
08-30-2007, 12:02 PM
I too pack a bit to much, and last year I found these huge Ziplock bags. They sell them at Walmart/grocery stores. They are nice because you can pack a lot of stuff in them, and then squish them down to get the air out, and they REALLY give you a lot more room. Plus, we each have our own bag of stuff, which makes it easier to find things, and also one time we were flying home and hit a rainstorm, and our luggage was soaked - Including everything in it, now we don't have to worry about that. Have a wonderful time!!

AvonleaCF
08-30-2007, 12:24 PM
I really want to pack light this trip so I made a list and it's still so long!!!

Bathroom items:
-Shampoo (travel)
-Conditioner (travel)
-Hair gel (travel)
-Hair spray (travel)
-Body wash (travel)
-Bath poof
-Hair brush
-2 hair ties
-1 hair scrunchie
-Bandana
-Toothbrush
-Toothpaste (travel)
-Floss
-Deodorant (travel)
-Lotion (travel)
-Gold Bond foot cream (to prevent blisters)
-Tweezers
-Nail clippers
-Glasses & case
-Contact lens case
-Contact lens solution (travel)
-Magnifying mirror (travel)
(NO flat iron, NO make-up! this is vacation after all!)

Clothes
-Underclothes
-T-shirts and shorts (probably 5 each)
-Sneakers (will wear down)
-Tevas and Crocs
-2 bathing suites (or maybe I'll just do 1...)

Other
-Sound machine & charger (can't sleep without it)
-Cell phone & charger
-Digital camera
-Postcard stamps
-Pen
-Sunglasses
-Sunscreen
-Blister Band-Aids (just in case)
-Advil
-Tide stain pen
-Tide (the small packets for the sink so I can take less clothes)
-Purell
-Chlorox wipes (for the public restrooms)
-Travel documents/itinerary/wallet with ID and credit cards

I plan on bringing one large suitcase and one small over-the-shoulder carry-on. I haven't packed yet but hopefully there'll still be room for souveners!

k_reile
08-30-2007, 12:31 PM
I ALWAYS overpack. And will probably do it on this trip too. DH and I are each going to have our own medium size suitcase and then I am thinking of checking a smaller suitcase, so we have room to bring home souviners.

January-2007
08-30-2007, 02:33 PM
I've been a bad packer all my life. You should have seen what was in our room at the CBR when I was in high school....

I'm getting better though! Lots better! On our last trip DH and I brought a total of 4 bags. One regular suitcase, one carryon size smaller suitcase, and two regular backpacks. And we survived! :D

We are going for two weeks in September and plan on doing laundry every 4 days probably. We like to hang out at the resort sometimes anyway so it's not a big deal. Gives DH an excuse to play in the arcade!

That's what was so nice about being in the villa the last trip though, the washer and dryer in the room. We got spoiled. We don't even have that at home! So no big deal.

We bring one pair of tennis shoes, one pair of shoes for the pool, one bathing suit each, 4 shirts and pairs of socks, you get the idea. We've definately improved our packing skills of what we will actually use and what we do without. But I still have to make sure DH brings enough regular shirts. On our spur of the moment trip in October he only brought 1 t-shirt! And we were there for 3 nights! Men... :D

I hope you have a safe flight and a wonderful time on your trip!

Lizzie
08-30-2007, 05:35 PM
I am not going to lie I am an overpacker. It comes from my years of chaperoning youth trips out of the country. Where as the main adult I needed to be prepared for anything. And I always was.

And now traveling with kids there is even more stuff to bring. I am trying to figure out what kind of toys I should have for them on the plane and some for their room. They are under the age of 2 and into everything.

My husband wishes I would pack lighter but he is always greatful when I have what he needs. And I don't want to do laundry on vacation unlesss I have to.

Patti_C
08-31-2007, 08:04 PM
Oh no I think I am in trouble. I am a big over packer, but I have this thing about wearing the same outfit in the same week. Dumb excuse huh:blush: going for 8 days. I plan on taking 10 outfits for me and dn. I am going to be the one lugging the suitcases so I really need to get over it and down size. I just don't know where to start.

pixiesmimi
09-01-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm kind of an overpacker too. I way overthink it. :blush: I have gotten it down to a science though with traveling a lot over the last few years. I have samples or travel sizes of toiletries that I leave in my makeup bag and don't have to worry about packing any of that. If I run out while gone, I make sure I replace it as soon as I get home. This time, though, I forgot my hair brush and went down to the shop in the resort to find one and all they had was a child size brush that really didn't help me any. I managed though but will be going to Wal-Mart or somewhere this week to find the right kind of travel brush to put in so this doesn't happen any more. I always find I have more than I need when I get there. Even though I pack things I can't seem to do without or things that we "Might Need" as far as medications, etc., we usually don't use them. Better to be prepared than sorry though, I think. I did take a travel size laundry detergent this time to do laundry if we needed to but ended up not using it. We were always too tired in the evening when we got back to mess with it. I took one extra outfit and ended up not using it and neither did DH. We only used one outfit a day. We were glad we took extra socks though. DH only took one pair of sneakers and after they got wet the first day, wore blisters on his feet the next. I tried to get him to buy another pair in one of the shops but he wouldn't. I always take at least two pair and trade out so that I don't get blisters. I take shoes that dry after being wet like Crocs or flip flops or sandles. Of course, we ended up bringing back more than we took and DH said next trip we are only allowed 2 bags each. :) I want to hear what he says when he is missing something then.:) If we ever went for 10 days or longer (I can't imagine but would love to try it) it is no telling how much I would take.:blush: I did take some packing advice about conserving space from a magazine I get and rolled and folded things just a certain way to make more space. The space bags mentioned above are also good. You can't imagine how much space you save when you vacuum pack like that. Also helps to keep your outfits together especially for kids.

rnin02
09-02-2007, 02:22 AM
I always overpack. I come home with many outfits never worn...but the next year I do it again! This year I'm going to try to do better...last year leaving we had to pay for the extra weight. I think we usually check 2 bags each...one largish suitcase for me, and one duffel bag like for me, and then a medium suitcase and duffel for DH. But I usually pack a minium of 3 extra tshirts/tank tops for the parks, plus dressy outfits for nearly every night. And of course extra underwear and socks and shoes. Plus, I buy full size shampoo and conditioner, since I have long hair and need to use a ton of it...and on, on. And I try to always bring a new bottle of contact solution, toothpaste, new everything, because I don't want to run out of stuff while we are there. Maybe this trip I will do better!

merlinmagic4
09-02-2007, 07:11 AM
We pack vey light! We have one suitcase for me, my husband, and the baby. My 2 older children have 2 tiny suitcases (child's overnight bags, really). I just throw in a load of laundry every evening when we return from the parks and it gets into the dryer before bed. I couldn't stand to pack dirty clothes for the trip back home.............yuk!

vamaggie
09-02-2007, 08:47 AM
I make up spreadsheet lists of what is/might be needed for each type of trip we take (beach/skiing/WDW, etc) and pack from the list. This allows me to obsess about what to pack during the time from when ADRs are made til we get to go! :blush:I have gotten many great suggestions from you folks here!! For our Nov trip (6 days)we are planning on one med/semi-large suitcase for the kids & me, suitcase for DH and carryons for all.I am fairly good at figuring out how much we (me, Dh, DS10 & DD4) will need and the kids and I usually come home with little/no clean clothes left over. DH on the other hand disreagrds my list, packs way too much and them ends up coming home with clean clothes(that I then get to clean since they have been in with all the dirty ones!:thedolls:)

vamaggie
09-02-2007, 08:52 AM
And now traveling with kids there is even more stuff to bring. I am trying to figure out what kind of toys I should have for them on the plane and some for their room. They are under the age of 2 and into everything.

I would not bring too many toys unless you plan to spend a lot of time in the room. We went when DD was 18 mo (and Ds was 7) and they really were not into playing in the room (were too tired or interested in watching the Disney shows on TV) We brought some stuffed animal friends, books to read, magna doodle, and paint with water books (where the color just shows up then dries so you can do it again later) for the plane and that seemd to keep them happy (along with snacks/drinks of course!)Less toys brought means 1) less to keep track of and make sure you bring home and 2) more you can justify buying at WDW!)

Clotho
09-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Okay, I am back and reporting!

We ended up with our two bags and the two carry-ons (one with a few light things and my laptop in it, as I reported previously.

We had pared down a lot...and I felt it. We sweat a LOT in the heat, and I hated wearing some things a second time. I definitely could have used the things I took out. I think next time I will plan to do laundry one day after all, though. I think you will all understand what I mean when I say that with this much packing, there is bound to be some "a-list" items you love wearing more than others, or are more comfortable or flattering or what-have-you. I definitely had some I would have liked to have worn more, and doing laundry would have allowed that. Then I could have left out some of the items I wasn't as in love with, cut down on what I brought, and been happy with my outfits each day. Lesson learned for next time.

So I could have packed more and used it all without sweaty repeats; or I can pack less, do laundry, and wear my comfy and flattering favorites more often. And why didn't I do laundry this time? We didn't budget time for it at all. Next time, I think I will, for a 10 day trip.