PDA

View Full Version : Anniversary at WDW?

garthbarth1
08-29-2007, 05:12 PM
HI there~ I am fairly new here and I hope that I am putting this in the right place. We will be celebrating our 5th Wedding Anniversary on Sept. 28-while we are in Disney. We are staying at the Contemporary and will be attending the MNSSHP. Will they do something special for us if I mention that we are celebrating our anniversary? I have read about the Birthday Buttons....is it something similar? Who do I need to tell and when do I need to tell them? Anything they do, I am sure, will be just great! I love this board! TIA :mickey: Melissa

disneycouple2004
08-29-2007, 05:28 PM
YES they do !..We celebrate our annvsry every year at WDW. Be sure to tell them when you check in, they will give you the buttons then. Also call ahead before you arrive let them know ahead of time, we had a nice card and some other things in our room when we checked in. All the CM's will make you feel special ..and you never know what surprise they will have next..
:D

julyjewel
08-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Let us know how your trip goes. my husband and i are going in Dec. '08 for our 10 year. We are booking the trip at the end of the week. I was wondering if they did anything special for an Anniversary.:tink:

wdwfan
08-29-2007, 05:45 PM
We celebrated our 10th and going to celebrate our 19th this Nov in WDW. We got autograph picture, disposable camera, balloons, + a real nice picture frame left in our room. On the night of our actual anniversary we were served champaign at Flyin Fish.
When I make room ressie I let them know we're celebrating, but when I make ADR's I only mention our actual date. :mickey:

EPCOTBoy
08-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Although I've never used it, I remember seeing that Disney offered a "Romantic Package" of sorts when you book a vacation at one of their resorts. I think it included stuff like champagne in your room, spa treatments, etc. But this is obviously something you'd pay extra for if they even still offer it.

I don't think they have "It's Our Anniversary" buttons, I'm sure you could get away with celebrating the occasion by wearing the "wedding ears".

Another way to create romance would be to look for ideas from your fellow Intercoters. I've always felt that many of the countries in Epcot (especially at night) can be quite romantic. For example, I've enjoyed taking a girlfriend to France to see the film "Impressions de France" followed by pastry and a walk around the shops. Dinners at the countries should be quite romantic also. Hope this helps! Good luck and congrats on the 5 years! :thumbsup:

maizey05
08-29-2007, 06:01 PM
DH and I have celebrated our anniversay there several times. Unfortunately, this year we will be unable to, since our little one is only 6 months old. (This will be our 5th ann. also.) When we made ADR's, we told them when our anniversary was. DH also called the day of our ann. to remind them. We ate at TTS for lunch, and got a table decorated w/ confetti and a cupcake. At O'hana that night, we got a window seat, another cupcake. The entertainer there, had the kids who were doing the coconut races, sing us an anniversary song.

Samtastic
08-29-2007, 06:05 PM
It's our anniversary too when we're in disney. That actual night we'll be in Boma, due to it fitting in our schedules. But I definately want to celebrate somewhere. :-D

Kairi_7378
08-29-2007, 06:13 PM
We didn't do this, but you can get special buttons made (like the first time or birthday ones) that say Happy Anniversary on them. Many Intercotees have received special treatment at restaurants and in the parks by making a note of the anniversary with the ADR cast member. DH felt that going to Disney World was romantic enough and he didn't want a bigger fuss made over us. We were very disappointed that we couldn't find a pin that was for an anniversary in any of the shops.

garthbarth1
08-29-2007, 06:56 PM
Wow thanks for all the info! I will definitely call and let the hotel know and any ADR we have. This will make it extra special for us :mickey:
This board is really nice and helpful!

floridamom
08-29-2007, 08:00 PM
We celebrated our 5th anniversary with a stay at the Beach Club. We had gotten the AP rate for a standard room, but when DH mentioned our anniversary to the CM at check-in, she upgraded us to Concierge with a view of Spaceship Earth. It was lovely. :mickey:

In comparison, our anniversary dinner at O'Hana was a bit disappointing. Though I had mentioned our occasion when I made our ADR and again when we checked in, we were seated all the way at the back, where our only view was of the restrooms and people standing around waiting to check in for their ADRs. We couldn't hear or see the entertainment and never knew at the time that they typically recognize anniversaries during the evening. But despite everything, the food was very yummy.

When we made our ADR for O'Hana the next time, it was not our anniversary, but I mentioned what had happened previously and requested to be in "the main room" this time. We were thrilled to discover our seats were right by the window, in the center of the room, with a perfect view of both the Magic KIngdom as well as all entertainment. :mickey:

So, my advice is to be as specific as possible about your request, and don't be too disappointed if your experience doesn't match up with what others have posted.

Happy Anniversary!

Eeyore's My Favorite
08-29-2007, 08:08 PM
We celebrated our 20th Anniv @ WDW & are celebrating #22 next month and when I called WDW Res. they told us that we could pick up Anniversary pins at either the hotel or at guest relations at any of the parks. They made a note on our ressies that it was our anniversary and when I made ADR's at Cape May they did the same thing. When we went 2 years ago we had a nice certificate signed by Mickey wishing us a happy anniversary, but the CM who checked us in wasn't in the best of moods & put us in the back of beyond for a room surrounded by tons of running & screaming kids. Hopefully this year it will be alot nicer as we upgraded to a preferred room and bought AP's.

Whatever you do - enjoy your anniversary!!

Under 30 days & counting..........:mickey:

LoriMistress
08-29-2007, 09:55 PM
They do have buttons. Also, if you have ADRs make sure to mention that you're celebrating your five year anniversary. DH and I will be celebrating our four year anniversary.

Princess Maggie
08-29-2007, 10:20 PM
:mickey: Congrats !!! We too will be celebrating our 5th year anniversary and will also be staying at the Contemporary this October. I ususally stop by the front desk, and tell them. They for the past few years sent balloons and a card up to the room. I also get a basket of goodies from the disney florist and have them sent to the room. :mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
08-29-2007, 10:30 PM
We just celebrated our first anniversary in the world and made it known for all of our ADRs. At each restaurant we were brought a special dessert treat for the occasion, we received many "happy anniversary" wishes from CM and guests alike. We got our buttons at guest relations at AK, but I'm sure you can get them anywhere.

Congrats, and enjoy your trip. Remember, give us a trip report upon your return. Thanks!!:mickey:

"SULLEY "RULES!!
08-29-2007, 10:57 PM
:santa:My husband and I will be celebrating our ten year anniversary on October 18th. We won't be down at Disney then, we'll be headed for Disney from November 7th thru 17th. ( belated trip ). 11 days to be exact. We're going down then to see the XMAS festivities begin. It definetly will be magical. 68 days and counting!!!!!!!!:deer:

BelleLovesTheBeast
08-30-2007, 12:48 AM
My husband and I are celebrating our 4th anniversary at Disney this Sept (a week late because we have close friends getting married the weekend of our anniversary). This will be our 2nd anniversary at Disney. Last year when we checked in they asked what our favorite Disney character or movie was (as you can tell it's B&TB) and when we came back the night of our anniversary there was a signed picture from Belle and The Beast. We wore our button everywhere...some places gave us free desert and some attractions give you special treatment. For example, Pirates let us have a boat to ourselves.

Happy Anniversary! Have Fun!

ldn324
08-30-2007, 12:36 PM
We went to WDW in 1998 for our honeymoon and have gone every year thereafter for our anniversary. While we haven't received something special for every year, we certainly have received some special items over the years.

For instance, we usually send ahead a care box of snacks, things we can't carry on the plane (DH's Leatherman, etc.) We put a "happy anniversary" label on the box - silly, but we thought it would be neat to see when we got there. The CM that accepted the box noticed the sticker and arranged for Mickey & Minnie to stop in our room while we were out and leave an autographed photo, an anniversary card and balloons. I thought that was SO sweet!

We've also gone to Victoria & Albert's for several anniversary meals and they always do something special. I'm sure other restaurants would do it too if they are aware so when you make your ADRs, mention that it's an anniversary trip. And definitely let the resort know. Never know when Mickey and his friends might feel like stopping in to leave a treat!

Happy Anniversary!

SBETigg
08-30-2007, 12:44 PM
Sometimes they do special things, sometimes they don't. If it is really important to you, you can order flowers or plan special things for each other on your own. Surprises are super nice, though!

We had a past anniversary trip to the Polynesian, and no extra surprises. We just got back from an anniversary trip to the Grand Floridian (where we honeymooned 17 years ago) and they gave us a complimentary upgrade to a MK view room from our booked standard lagoon view room. And we got champagne, a rose, and a signed photo and card from Cinderella and Prince Charming (a surprise waiting in our room one night as we returned from Epcot). It was an amazing stay! Best wishes for your special celebration.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
08-31-2007, 12:04 PM
We will be there next week for our 4th Anniversary... and our oldest daughters 3rd birthday. I plan to tell them this at the POP when we get there! I hope they do somehting like what is mentioned above for us!!! Especially for our daughter's b-day! She would be crazy to get an actual card signed by Minnie!

DisneyCouture
08-31-2007, 01:28 PM
My DH & I go to Disney on our anniversary every year now. (we started with our dating anniv 5yrs ago, and now wedding) It will be 2 years in Sept and we are going down in Oct to celebrate. Last year they gave us special Anniv. buttons and an awesome dessert @ Bistro in France. The CM were really friendly and accommodating. So, Happy Anniversary and have fun on your trip:)!!!

GBBT
08-31-2007, 08:22 PM
Happy Anniversary!!!!:party: Boy,I'd like to know what we're doing wrong when we go down there.Our 10th was last year,made ressies in January and noted our anniversary.The CM noted we were celebrating our 10th when we checked in,congratulated us and that was it.We wore the buttons got congratulated here and there and that was it.No balloons,pictures,upgrades,desseerts.Maybe we'll tell them this year but will not expect much.

pixiesmimi
09-01-2007, 03:45 PM
We just got back from our 38th Anniversary trip last night. It was great! I didn't tell the resort when we checked in that it was our anniversary, which I wish I had now, because they never did anything. But we picked our anniversary buttons up at Town Hall at MK the first night we went in. I didn't think DH would wear his all week but was really surprised that he did, especially after he saw the attention we got and the freebies. :blush: We were acknowledged all over the parks by CMs and other parkgoers as well. It was nice! We were given free margaritas in Epcot when the CM noticed our buttons. :marg: We had ADRs at Le Chefs and were given a wonderful chocolate raspberry dessert (even after our desserts had come). Our first night, the CM checking us in at Crystal Palace must have seen our buttons under our ponchos because when we got to our table, there was a confetti heart on the table and the server told us he did it just for us. :) Pooh, Tigger, and Piglet made over us and our anniversary that night but Eyore lived up to his personality and ignored us twice and just walked right by us without stopping. We had hoped to get pictures and an autograph from each of them. I guess he wasn't interested because we didn't have children with us. The Princesses in Toon Town made over us and we just had a generally good time with it. The Photopass photographers usually did a special shot, like taking a shot of the "Anniversary Kiss", etc. :blush: I told them I had been kissed more that week than in 38 years. :) They thought that was funny. So definately pick up your anniversary button and enjoy every minute of it. Don't be self-concious about it and accept all the attention you will get. We had asked a CM in front of Town Hall where to get the buttons and she said to go into the gift shops, they probably had them. I knew this was wrong so went into Town Hall even though she said she didn't think they had them. So much for what she knew because the CM in Town Hall was delighted to give us the buttons and didn't ask us to prove it in any way except to ask us how many years. We even had people yell happy anniversary to us across the park while walking.:cloud9:

garthbarth1
09-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Wow thanks for all the responses everybody! I just love this board because it is so friendly. Those of you who have had anniversarys there...should I call ahead of time to let the resort know, or just tell them when we are checking in.. I dont know what I would say and how I would work it into the conversation..."by the way,....we are celebrating our anniversary?" or what? And, if I did call early,would I call the regular Disney reservation line where you book everything, or call the Contemprorary directly. It would be awesome if they did even something small,as my husband does not know any of this is even available and would be really suprised! As a matter of fact, I would never even thought about it if not for this awesome board!! THANKS :mickey:!!

angedeaile
09-02-2007, 01:40 AM
Wow, alot of 5 year anniversaries here....we will be celebrating ours while we are there for our trip in January. No better place than DW right?

I was wondering the same questions as garthbarth1....when do you guys comment that it is your anniversary? During check in or when you made your reservation?

I mentioned it when I booked through MJ, so I never talked to my resort directly.

Does Magical Journey's make it a point to inform the resort of special celebrations?

I am just going to assume we won't get fussed over too much, so I figure I should put forth the effort to make it special just incase no one else does. We plan on ordering a cake and wearing the pins. We won't be doing the ears, because I am lucky if I can get him to wear the pin!

Like they say, if you don't expect much, you won't be disappointed. But then again, it doesn't hurt to try mentioning it later.

Eeyore's My Favorite
09-02-2007, 11:18 AM
We're going for our anniversary in a little over 2 weeks. When I made ressies for POP they noted it on my reservation - last time there we got a signed certificate from Mickey wishing us a happy anniversary, so that was cute & it's now in my Disney scrapbook. When I made my ADR's at Cape May for our anniversary dinner they made a note there, too. We're not expecting anything special - just being there is special enough for us!! :mickey:

Happy Anniversary to all..........:congrats:

Under 30 days & counting down quickly - Mickey here we come!! :car:

garymacd
09-04-2007, 10:28 AM
When we booked our 2006 trip for our 25th anniversary, we told the booking agent that it was a special anniversary and wanted a King room at POFQ. We got it, and much more!

When we checked into the room, there were some Mardi Gras beads for us, some doubloons, a card signed by all the characters and another signed by many of the cast members at the resort.

We also had dinner at Victoria and Albert's. The menu was personalised with our names and congratulations for reaching the 25th year milestone. It was great!

We didn't even think about the buttons until this past May during our 26th anniversary. We did get the buttons at Town Hall in MK and wore them everyday - yes I am proud to say that I did wear mine everyday! Every CM we met congratulated us on the anniversary. Many were surprised to see a man wearing the button. They said most men wear it the first day and stop wearing it after that. I didn't care, I was proud to wear it.

TheRustyScupper
09-04-2007, 12:02 PM
. . . Will they do something special for us if I mention that we are celebrating our anniversary? Who do I need to tell and when do I need to tell them? . . .

1) Just have it marked on the ressie.
2) Sometimes they do extra things.
3) Mostly, nothing big.
4) Depends upon the mood of the CM on that day.
5) It is strictly up to the individual CM to give extra magic.

PS - You can get your own buttons at Guest Services.

SurferStitch
09-09-2007, 12:42 PM
You may get goodies, and you may not. Best advice is, don't expect them, and anything you get will be a surprise. There is just as good a chance you won't get anything as that you will.

We've gotten special surprises like champagne and chocolate covered strawberries and cookies (GF in 1998), cards, etc. When we stayed at Pop last year they had the buttons waiting for us. The DCL really went out of their way for us, too.

The year we stayed at GF concierge during our anniversary (2005), we didn't get a thing. Not even a "Happy Anniversary". They knew it was our anniversary, but they didn't do a thing. Have to admit...after getting great treatment there before (non concierge) and at a moderate resort, I did kind of expect something (actually, I more "hoped" for something), so it was a little disappointing. But, I had 8 magical days at WDW with my DH, so that's all I needed.

crltkcagle
09-09-2007, 01:40 PM
my parents are celebrating thier 30th ann. i booked them a trip to come along with us. i put them in one of the nicer hotels and plan on having flowers delievered to their room. they went to wdw for their honeymoon so i thought it would be a nice gesture.

DisneyKim22
09-09-2007, 10:38 PM
My brother, sister and I (and our families) are taking our parents in November to celebrate their 40th anniversary - a week late. Because of the large group, we're staying at the All Star Vacation Homes, but I made several ADR's and was sure to mention what we were celebrating. The CM on the phone was super nice about making sure the celebration was noted.

I am not EXPECTING anything special for them, but I'm hoping that they'll at least get a song when we eat at Whispering Canyon Cafe the first night. My dad has been wanting to try this restaurant for many years. If nothing happens, we'll still make a big fuss over them anyway. I'm glad to hear that anniversary buttons are available. We were going to make our own for them, but I'd rather get the Disney ones.

This will be a big trip. We also have my sister's, nephew's and dad's birthday that week!

EmcDuckRN
09-11-2007, 01:59 PM
We Stayed at the Contemporary for our tenth, and requested the park view.

Even if nothing is done for you (which it most likely will) watching "your" celebratory fireworks from your own balcony is one of those magic moments that made us feel like a prince and princess.

We had a autographed photo of Groom Mickey and Bride Minne. We had a Certificate proclaiming it to be an official magic moment (hey can't argue with it if it's in print!) And a balloon boquet. (which we let the helium out the night before leaving to take them home with us,) (yeah, we're sentimental)

We also had dinner at Chef Mickey's And were given special placemats, and special cupcakes with candles.

My DW mentioned this on the phone when she made the reservations. We mantioned this again at check in, both for the restraunt and for the room.

Very, Very, Nice.

dolphinmickey9170
09-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Wow thanks for all the responses everybody! I just love this board because it is so friendly. Those of you who have had anniversarys there...should I call ahead of time to let the resort know, or just tell them when we are checking in.. I dont know what I would say and how I would work it into the conversation..."by the way,....we are celebrating our anniversary?" or what? And, if I did call early,would I call the regular Disney reservation line where you book everything, or call the Contemprorary directly. It would be awesome if they did even something small,as my husband does not know any of this is even available and would be really suprised! As a matter of fact, I would never even thought about it if not for this awesome board!! THANKS :mickey:!!

When you book the ressie, tell the CM, "I would like to book a resservation for our anniversary dinner", this should help. Then ask if they will notate this announcement on each ADR you make.