PDA

View Full Version : Only the 4 of Us - Final Day

kakn7294
08-29-2007, 07:53 AM
Sunday - Heading Home

Cast - me 38, DH Phil also 38, DD Stephanie 12 and DD Megan 7

The suitcases are packed, the room is scoured to be sure nothing is left behind. The DME bus is coming at 12:10p so I had requested a later check-out (you would have thought asking for 45 min was asking to pull someone's hair out by the roots - I was only given 30 min). At 11:25a we vacated the room, dragging all of our luggage to the lobby for a quick check-out. Stephanie wanted to get something for her "boyfriend" so she grabbed a quick souvenir in the gift shop and we went out to the bus stop. There were a few other families waiting as well. At 12:10p, no bus showed up. At 12:15p, an older cruise line bus made a couple of circuits of the parking lot - we thought he was lost because a large group had just boarded a newer cruise line bus about 20 min ago. At 12:20p, that same cruise line bus pulled up at the DME stop and the driver announced he was our DME transportation to the airport. We all solemnly boarded the bus and took our seats. We made 2 more stops - Old Key West and Saratoga Springs - then were on our way. I always hate this part, especially when they play that video although I did find this one educational because it featured a promo for Adventures by Disney. The video ended very near the entrance to the airport. At this time our driver took the time to tell us about his DD's word of the month: Charity. He proceeded to list about 20 charities that he asked us to donate to then told us that any 50% of any tips he would receive today would go his favorite charity. I agree with donating to charity but I thought it was quite tacky to solicit tips that way. We exited the bus and claimed our luggage from underneath, managed to bypass the skycaps and headed inside. There were signs that said that SW had a desk on the lower level so we followed those. After reaching the end of the airport and not seeing a SW desk anywhere, we headed for the nearest elevator upstairs to the 3rd floor where we know the airline desks. The doors opened and right in front of us was the SW desk. It actually worked out that we were able to avoid all of those people trying to get to the other airline desks on the 3rd floor. I had already checked-in for our flight on my cell so we only had to get our boarding passes printed and check the luggage. About 15 min later we were off to the security checkpoint. There was a long line here and the TSA employees seemed to be having a collective bad day. When it was finally our turn, the nasty woman dumped all of my stuff onto the belt informing me that it didn't need to go in a plastic bin (meanwhile, she had yelled at someone a few people in front of me for NOT putting their stuff in a bin). I passed through the metal detector but bumped the side, setting it off. I went back to go through again and she ran over to pat me down - asking me if I forgot to put my cell phone on the belt then hollering "what's this?" as she patted my hips. Everyone turned and looked at me as I turned 900 shades of red and said "nothing more than my fat roll because my shorts don't even have pockets." I thought for sure that she was going to make me submit to the strip search but she allowed me through since I didn't set the metal detector off the second time then gave me a shove when I went to claim my shoes and bags - apparently I was in her way. I guess someone forgot to take their nice pills that morning. After that ordeal, we grabbed a quick bite for lunch and went to the gate. Most of the seats were full so we ended up just getting in the "A" line and sitting on the floor. We had an uneventful flight home but Phil and the girls sat about 4 - 5 rows ahead of me. The girls chose where they wanted to sit and left me to fend for myself as there were no other seats nearby - such sweet kids! Upon arrival in Pittsburgh, we headed for the crocs kiosk where I purchased a pair of Pittsburgh Steelers crocs - I've been looking for a pair for months! Just past the security (literally just past, I could turn around and see the agent sitting about 10 feet away), Stephanie remembered her Mickey ears - they were in the pocket of the seat on the plane! It figures, the kid wore them practically 24 hrs a day then finally takes them off and leaves them where I can't get back to them. There was nothing we could do now as we couldn't cross back to the airside without boarding passes so we headed off to luggage claim. We grabbed our bags then checked with the girl in the little office right next to the luggage carousel. She told us that plane had already left but called over and found out that the ears were at the jetway. I asked her how I could claim them from there and she said they would be sent over in a few minutes. A few minutes became about 30 min but finally the carousel started up and a plastic bin containing the ears came down. We had a long walk to the car and discovered we had left behind 92 and sunny in Orlando to come home to 62 and rainy in Pittsburgh. Now it's time to start planning another trip - at this point probably for Aug '08. Can't wait!!:mickey: Oh, and it will be only the 4 of us again if we can help it!

January-2007
08-29-2007, 08:25 AM
Wow what a departure day. The DME driver and the word of the month? Wow... I am glad you all got home safe. Makes me glad we don't fly to WDW. Have fun planning your next trip!

IloveJack
08-29-2007, 08:35 AM
I've really enjoyed your reports. Thanks so much for writing. It's always hard leaving Disney! When we boarded DME to leave, we looked over at a little girl in the seats by us, and she just teared up, pulled her little sister into her lap, and together they cried all the way to the airport. I felt the same way! Thanks again!

gauvin4
08-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Sorry to hear that your experience with airport security was no so good. Some people should not be working with the public. :nono: :shake:

Thank you for sharing your vacation with us. I have enjoyed your trip reports very much!! :thumbsup:

faline
08-29-2007, 09:00 AM
Goodness! We've always found Orlando security folks to be very pleasant and professional - no matter how busy it is (and it is often very busy). I guess they must have been having a collectively bad day!

At least you arrived home safely!

Thanks for your reports. I've enjoyed reading them!

DisneyWhirled
08-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Sorry your security check was so bad! We are always rushed, and they are not too friendly, but geez, she didn't have to act like that!

So glad you got Stephanie's ears back!

Pretty weird, the bus driver asking for Charity??

It does stink to leave! Time to start planning again!

julyjewel
08-29-2007, 09:20 AM
Welcome back to the Burgh!:mickey:

Lizzie
08-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Yikes! What a crazy time you had getting on and off your plane. It just stresses me out reading it. But thanks for all the reports.

iheartmickey
08-29-2007, 01:24 PM
Thank you for sharing all of your Disney Days with us! I really enjoyed reading about all your details ... it was as if I was there with you! :mickey:

I'm sorry the trip to the airport and then through the airport was not nice ... I think it makes you appriciate Disney all the more!

Thank you, again, for sharing your trip report! :thumbsup:

DestinationWDW
08-29-2007, 06:31 PM
Sorry about your airport experience! So glad Stephanie got her :mickey: back - she had them on in almost EVERY picture! That would have been so sad! And so happy for you about your Steeler's Crocs :thumbsup: ! (I'm originally from Johnstown and have some black and gold blood still left in me too!) Now buying the flip-flops earlier in the trip isn't so disappointing - :) You had a awesome trip! Thanks for sharing your wonderful reports and pictures - and if you can send some cool temperatures and rain to Atlanta......:thedolls:

Bethis26fan
08-29-2007, 06:39 PM
Glad you got the ears back.

dolphinmickey9170
08-29-2007, 10:56 PM
Sorry to hear about the earport. What a croc of bologna from the TTA staff person. That was highly uncalled for. I would have asked her if she needed a little pixie dust to get her through the rest of her shift.:thedolls:

Glad that Steph got her ears back. I hate leaving things behind.

I will have to email you about the crocs. Ben and I would love a pair. I would really like a Patriots pair too. Maybe even RedSox ones if they have those. I'll have to find them.

Ben and I, as well as Willful and Shannon and another family are also looking at Aug 08. Let me know your dates and hopefully we can all hook up for another meet, maybe even manage a meal together.

Thanks for your great report and we loved your pictures. Take care.

aprilisis
08-30-2007, 09:05 AM
I loved reading your reports & looking at your photos. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup: It sounds like you had a great trip!

DizNee143
08-30-2007, 11:11 AM
even though you had to wait..im glad you were able to get the 'ears' back!
thank you very much for sharing your trip with us...i had a good time reading all about it!!:mickey:
so does fluffy still follow you guys around every where now that your home?

ChipnDaleGal
08-30-2007, 11:38 AM
I really enjoyed all of your reports, Kathy. It was fun to follow along with the adventures of your family. I am glad it was such a good trip for you and have fun planning for Aug 08! :mickey:

murphy1
09-01-2007, 10:32 AM
I really enjoyed reading all your reports and looking at the pictures, you guys had a great trip. Have fun planning your next one!!!

ElenitaB
09-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Kathy, thanks so much for your reports! Loved all the pictures!

So what's this about Steelers' Crocs??? :D

CanadianWDWFan
09-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Glad you guys had a GREAT trip! Thanks for taking us along with you on your vacation!:thumbsup:

We only have 33 days to go!:cloud9:

pdrlkr
09-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

Caroleh
09-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Sounds like it was a great trip. Kathy, thanks for sharing it with us!!!!

magicman
09-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Hmmm. Maybe the Airport Security should have learned a little about charity from the DME bus driver. (Soliciting tips in that fashion seems a bit insincere.)

What a great trip. Thanks so much for sharing the reports and pictures.

SBETigg
09-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Leaving is so hard. The bus driver was definitely tacky and I think he's in violation of Disney driver rules. And then, ugh, airport security. But worth it for a great Disney trip, and it does sound like you all had a wonderful time. Thanks for reporting.

Pocahontas
09-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Whenever I encounter someone as rude like that at the airport security, I tell myself that they most likely don't have a great life or that they got some really upsetting news that day. Even though I personally don't think there is any excuse for being rude to others, we never know what someone else is going through. Maybe she was jealous seeing you just came from Disney World and here she is having to work and seeing so many coming from such a happy place.

Thanks for your reports, I really enjoyed reading them all and seeing your pictures!

WDW Dreamer
09-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Sounds like you had a terrific time! Hearing you describe everything is making the wait for my WDW trip in December even harder to bare. ;) I know how you feel about leaving the World at the end of your vacation. It's very hard. Glad you had such a great time!

DisneyorBust
09-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Worst part of the trip is the ride to MCO for the return flight home. Glad that you took the time to share your trip with us, I enjoyed the reports!:thumbsup:

RedSoxFan
09-04-2007, 05:21 PM
I enjoyed reading all your trip reports. Your pictures were great and it sounded like a great week was had by all.:mickey:

Mom2princesses
09-06-2007, 12:49 PM
I read through each day! We also ate at Tony's and were pleasantly surprised our meal was one of the best we had the whole trip! I loved hearing about the pirate and princess party. My little one did not want to go because she didn't want to see any pirates! So we missed it. It sounds like you had a blast. We won't be going again for another 2 years :sigh: . I wish it was sooner but we have to visit my husbands family (they live way on the other side of the world from us) next year. So Disney will have to wait until my little one is 5. We came back to 75 and sunny so that helped when we returned. It was just so hot in Florida.

Thanks for the great trip report. Your girls are very cute! I'm glad you got the Mickey ears back!