PDA

View Full Version : Sea Raycers

RBrooksC
08-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Does one need some sort of proof of competency to rent these boats for the 30 min? Or can one just pay the money and take it out on the water?

mook3y
08-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Does one need some sort of proof of competency to rent these boats for the 30 min? Or can one just pay the money and take it out on the water?

I think you just need a drivers license. There is a minimum age requirement too, to go out by yourself. 16 or 18. I am sure someone will be along shortly with the exact age.

RBrooksC
08-28-2007, 11:54 AM
I do know the age is 16. Somebody mentioned that a person could possibly need some sort of boater's license or something of the sort to pilot that boat.

To be honest, I was rather skeptical about that since I would highly doubt they would offer those boats to rent like that and expect a boater's license.

mook3y
08-28-2007, 12:15 PM
a couple years ago, we rented a regular boat.

I did not have a boater's license, just gave them my license.

wedway76
08-28-2007, 12:23 PM
We rented one for my 13 year old son in 2006.

The minimum age on Bay Lake is 16, however you if you are 12 years old and over 5’ tall (STRICTLY ENFORCED) you can rent them from DTD or the resort marinas not on Bay Lake.

We know this because in 2003 the age was 12 in all of WDW. We stayed at the Contemporary and son was 11 at the time and I had to drive it for him.

When we returned in 2006 we took the monorail from the MK back to the Contemporary so he could take a boat out and we were told they changed the age on Bay Lake only to 16, but he could still take a boat out on his own on that lake in DTD. We had to hop a bus to DTD. It was worth it, he had a ball

epceddie
08-30-2007, 12:22 AM
Does anybody know if there are weight limits for the Sea Raycers?

MidnTPK
08-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Yes, there are weight limits, but I don't know what they are. An extremely obese person would probably not be able to ride, but under 250 lbs. shouldn't be a problem. And two people can take a ride together, but they need to be under the weight limit.

I don't think they're strict about these limits, but the engines on these boats are not too powerful. If there's too much weight in the boat, they probably won't move very much. There are bigger boats available to rent if weight is an issue.

GrumpyFan
08-30-2007, 10:13 AM
According to the Disney Web-site, they offer the following:

Marina Rentals
Choose from a fleet of motorized and non-motorized craft that are available for rent. Sea Raycer by Sea Ray® boats, sailboats, SunTRACKER pontoon boats, Boston Whaler Montauk boats*, pedal boats, kayaks and canoes are some of the items available at various Walt Disney World® Resort hotels.

Available at:
Disney's Beach Club Resort
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Contemporary Resort
Disney's Port Orleans Resort
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Disney's Polynesian Resort
Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Disney's Yacht Club Resort
Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground
Disney's Old Key West Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Downtown Disney® Marketplace

Drivers of canopy or pontoon boats must be 18 years of age. Drivers must provide ID with birth date in order to drive certain watercraft.

If I remember correctly, our 14 yo son was able to drive his own Sea Raycer at Downtown Disney, but we had to sign for him, claiming responsibity. Even though they're not real fast, it was lots of fun.