PDA

View Full Version : Which one for 2 TS Credits? Jiko, Cali Grill, Artist Point?

brewcrew26
08-28-2007, 10:49 AM
We still have some time until we can make our ADRs for our April honeymoon.

We'd like to have one 2 credit TS during our trip for a romantic dinner.

My brother recommended California Grill. We're staying at AKL, so Jiko is also right there. And, we'd both like to try Artist Point.

Could you share your experiences at each -- the good and the bad. How are the wine lists? What are some good dishes to try? Number of kids during dinner? (We don't mind kids at all but since we'd like this to be a special dinner..., or is it OK to ask to be away from a large family?)

Thanks!! :mickey:

wire0monkey
08-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Both are great. I take my kids to both, though, so be warned.

I don't drink wine, but my co-worker loves it. CG has a very good California wine list that changes daily. Artist Point has a very good wine list that specializes in wines from the Northwest. I think she found the AP wine list a little more off the beaten track, but liked both very much.

SurferStitch
08-28-2007, 12:13 PM
DH and I really, really love Cali Grill. The food, service, wine and view are amazing. We dine there every time we visit WDW. Their fillet is the best around, and the goat cheese ravioli appetizer is wonderful. We also love to get a flatbread while we're there. Ooh...I've also had incredible scallop dishes there. You will find children, but they've never been a problem for us. They seem to behave pretty well.

We dined at Jiko once, and it was great food, but an unfortunate experience with an extremely intoxicated man at the table next to us ruined the experience (it was disgusting). The manager made everything right for us (paid for our meal, drinks, plus additional bottles of wine to take along with us), but DH just doesn't want to go back. Didn't really notice any children on that evening, but I'm sure you'll find them there.

We never wanted to go to AP. We are adventurous eaters, but we just didn't feel wild game was worth 2 TS credits or OOP, but many here love it. We prefer Cali Grill and Narcoossee's (which is our very favorite 2 TS restaurant).

Tops all around is V&A. :thumbsup: Nothing is better.

aprilisis
08-28-2007, 12:34 PM
I love 2 of those restaurants. California Grill has been loud lately, but the view & the food more than make up for that. I love the triple cheese flatbread for an appetizer. I also never miss it on a trip to WDW- it is one of my "must-do's". Artist point was really nice for me- I loved the wine list & the potato-chive potstickers. I haven't been to Jiko yet, but I will be trying it. I couldn't choose between the 3 for my upcoming trip, so I booked them all! :blush:

Kairi_7378
08-28-2007, 12:41 PM
I haven't eaten at Jiko or Artist Point but I will be trying AP in October. Jiko is on my list of places to try but we aren't going there on this trip because their chef is leaving and we want to wait until the new chef settles in.
We ate at the CA Grill in March and we absolutely loved it. The waiter (Bill) was great. He showed us what we were eligible to receive on the DDP and he helped us select wine based on our tastes and our dinners. (The wine list is extensive.) We thought that CA Grill was a good value for the 2TS credits, too. There were some children there while we were (approx. 5 PM til 7:30 PM) but they were extremely well behaved. We are going back in October.
Bottom line is that you are trying to decide between 3 of the best places to dine on property so I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

DVC2004
08-28-2007, 05:37 PM
I've been to all and Jiko is my personal favorite. Food, wine and service have all been stellar. I take my kids, too, and don't really notice other kids too much. Cali Grill would be my second choice- preferably with a view of Wishes. i don't think you can go wrong with any of these places.

BugeyedMuggy
08-28-2007, 08:05 PM
We have been to Jiko and we loved it. Very romantic. We were not too familar with South African wines and our waiter let us try a couple before we made our choice for apps & dinner. We are going back this time on our Sept. trip. Can't wait. We are also going to cali grill and know from family members the food & wine is great but not as romantic. Try both if you can.

faline
08-28-2007, 08:49 PM
I've eaten at all three - two of them recently and would highly recommend California Grill.

We ate at Jiko a couple of months ago and had a lovely table with a view of the pond. Once it's dark, however, all views at this spot essentially disappear. The food is quite good but not as good as California Grill.

On one occasion, we ate at Artist Point. We were lucky enough to get the best table in the place - a corner in the window overlooking the waterfall. The food was delicious and the service impeccable. This, however, was a number of years ago and I've been reluctant to return as I've been afraid I would ruin such a wonderful memory!

We've dined at California Grill a number of times now. Each occasion has been spectacular! From the time we went for my husband's birthday and had a wonderful window seat in the corner of the restaurant to this past January when we went with my brother and his wife and had another great window seat in the middle of the restauant. Although we had already ordered our main course, our waiter did not deliver it until after the fireworks! Just a magical evening for all of us!

Natazu
08-29-2007, 03:50 AM
I've been to these places once or twice. ;)
In my opinion, California Grill is the best restaurant on the dining plan. The wine list is very, very good, though pricey. The savory flatbreads are truly mouth watering and the Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli is one of the best appetizers I've ever had anywhere. As for entrees, the fork-tender filet is really hard to beat and the salmon and halibut are both top shelf. Then, worth at trip to Florida on it's own, the Valrhona Chocolate Cake towers above all other desserts. Also worth mentioning is the Cheese Plate boasting five distinctive gourmet cheeses which vary by season and of course California Grill's sushi menu, skillfully prepared by Yoshi, one of the world's best sushi chefs.

So, while Jiko and Artist Point are both wonderful restaurants with great food and above average wine lists, I think CG is the way to go.

At any of the three, there will be plenty of kids, however, due to the expense of these places, not nearly as many as 1TS restaurants.

Crow
08-29-2007, 11:51 AM
well Jym & others have covered most of it, but ill add my 2 mickeys....
ive been at all 3. most recent in May at CG for the first time. Jiko twice and AP twice.
Jiko was good filet w mac n cheese. ruining it for me is memories that both times were w the ex who works at AKL. the ambiance is ok, probably the least best views of the 3. the lodge itself is very nice. but id put it at the bottom of the 3
AP & CG I will b visiting again in a few wks.
CA has the best view if you like height, views of the castle & GF etc. there were kids there. the sushi was the best i ever had. the pork loin was a little tough at first but good n the banana dessert was good. the wine selection is great but as said $$. the waitress was excellent and let me sample before i made decisions for wine.
AP has been a fav for yrs, but i havent been there for a few trips. it didnt seem as busy as the others. had buffalo steak once and salmon once. both pretty good. the portobello soup is great. the deserts ok. coffee 2 ways once and cobbler once. i love the WL so its my fav of the 3 places for the resort. this time i am doing the DIning w an Imagineer there.
so i would say look at menus etc
AP & CG tied pretty much.
Jiko last

Medland
08-30-2007, 01:21 AM
I have never been to Jiko, but my husband and I went to the other two restauraunts on our honeymoon.
Each was a great experience but we both agree California Grill was the best meal we had overall.
We had a ressie right before the fireworks so we were seated in the wine room and then went directly to the observation deck to watch Wishes. We wandered back to our table and noticed the adorable kids dessert dishes with gummy worms on them at the table next to us. Our waiter was very attentive without hovering and helped us navigate the menu with any questions we had. I don't remember exactly what we ate...I remember we were impressed with the textures and flavors. We watched the Water Parade and had a very relaxing late dinner and received a complimentary dessert. After dinner, we had a private cuddle in an empty monorail car on our way to Epcot where we caught a bus to Port Orleans French Quarter.
Artist Point was much quieter and less busy. We each ordered a wine flight with our meals which was served at a very leisurely pace (see: slow service...I wouldn't expect to eat quickly and get back to the parks here). The salmon and berry cobbler were particularly memorable there. It was a very relaxing meal. I missed the view of the pool after darkness fell, though.
Have fun wherever you choose!