PDA

View Full Version : What to when it rains?

boys_school_tn
08-27-2007, 10:13 AM
We're heading to Orlando this Saturday. Scattered rain everyday in the 10 day forecast. What do you all do if it rains hard every day? This is the first time I haven't bought any tickets in advance so we are very flexible....

DisneyDudet
08-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Go to the parks!!!

This is the BEST time to be there, as people tend to leave or hide while its raining. Get some panchos (good quality if its going to rain that much.. you can get some decent quality at Wal Mart. The drycleaning bag type doesn't hold up to well for us) and keep on walking!

It rained for, probably, 90% of our trip in June 2005, and it was SO uncrowded! The last day, the sun came out and no rain, and it was really crowded!

We NEVER let the rain stop us. We just keep going. Change shoes in the room mid day, and we're good as new! We've found it beneficial to take extra socks to the parks, so you and dry out wet feet!

Don't let the rain get you down. Step to the side, put your panchos on, and keep going!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Welcome to Intercot!
Go to the parks!! We went one year and all it did was rain. It was great!! No one was at the parks, there were no lines/no waiting. We were so spoiled that I wouldn't wait if it was more than 10 minutes to get on the "E ticket" rides. (The most popular ones). Just wear a poncho and some kind of waterproof sandals and go.

faline
08-27-2007, 10:41 AM
This time of year, the forecase will always include the chance of scattered thunderstorms. Whether or not you get rained on will depend on a variety of factors. Sometimes, it will even rain in one park but not another.

Just go about your plans as usual though some things may close down due to lightening in the area.

ncscgirl2005
08-27-2007, 10:50 AM
This time of year, the forecase will always include the chance of scattered thunderstorms. Whether or not you get rained on will depend on a variety of factors. Sometimes, it will even rain in one park but not another.

Just go about your plans as usual though some things may close down due to lightening in the area.

I agree with this. When we were there, it threatened rain every day but we never got any until our last day in Orlando (non-Disney day). I wouldn't be bothered by this at all. In SC, it is in our forecast almost everyday as well but it may rain in one area and not the next. But since I don't like being out in the rain and I don't like walking around wet (the reason why I don't do Splash Mountain) I would probably find something indoors to do (shopping, eating, etc) if it's going to be a quick rain shower, which is usually the case at this time of the year. If it's going to be all day rain, then I would probably grin and bear it and go to the parks just to get my vacation in.

CanadianWDWFan
08-27-2007, 11:24 AM
:welcome: to Intercot!

Go to the parks!!!
I couldn't agree more!

Bring a ponch or other rain gear and hit them hard. Everyone usually runs for cover and the lines are noticably smaller.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-27-2007, 11:49 AM
:welcome: to Intercot!

I couldn't agree more!

Bring a ponch or other rain gear and hit them hard. Everyone usually runs for cover and the lines are noticably smaller.

Ditto :thumbsup:

crazeedizneefinatic
08-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Some of our greatest memories are when it has rained. Nothing brings out the kid in you than splashing in a puddle on your way to It's a Small World! Have fun and don't check the weather. Pack a hooded poncho and have fun!:mickey:

disneycouple2004
08-27-2007, 02:58 PM
DO NOT USE A UMBRELLA..they cause alot of problems if its crowded..like everyone else says..get a pancho and keep on truckin..pack some dry socks and or shoes..don't let the rain ruin your trip..its alot of fun rain or shine..it rained all day our last day one year in December..yes it was a cold rain..very wet and miserable..but we kept on going..and loved it..:thumbsup:

JCDarzi
08-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Couldn't agree more! It is actually a good thing if you get some rain. We always go in September to WDW and in 1999 it rained through the whole trip. The good news was that it was seldom a drenching downpour. We wore light waterproof windbreakers, baseball caps, shorts and tennis shoes. We were comfortable and enjoyed the empty parks. It was also considerably cooler. In times that it did downpour, we simply went into a shop, show, or covered/indoor ride. As is typical for Florida weather, it changes so fast. We were never delayed for very long due to the rain. Have a great trip!

thrillme
08-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Shucks...We just go to the parks and enjoy. I make sure I have a big ziplock baggie (which I always carry) to water proof those items like a camera or cell phone...then we SING in the RAIN...Just SING in the RAIN...

All those people that "melt" easily run for cover. We run for the low lines. My DS and I usually keep our fingers crossed for rain.

Slightly off topic...we live near Fiesta Texas Six Flags so we go there quite a bit. On the 3rd of July they had a big fireworks bonanza. So my DS, boyfriend and another friend and her son all went. Unfortunately it POURED buckets for most of the day. Since the rides are mostly outdoors many were shut down (a lot of Disneys are indoors so they still run even in the rain)...I think the boys had more fun than ever...no raincoats they just splashed in puddles, stood near roofs where the rain poured even heavier down, had big SPLASH attack fights...they never gave a second thought to the rides. Fortunately it let up just before the fireworks show. Everything was nice and cool. I brought a big shower curtian for all of us to sit on...it turned out to be a lot of fun. (And yes both my BF and my friend think I'm NUTZ...but they seemed to have a silly good time too)

Strmchsr
08-27-2007, 04:30 PM
The rain in the forecast for the next 10 days is for normal afternoon "seabreeze" type thunderstorms, not an all day rain. Normally these storms last 30-60 minutes.

While I agree with folks about going to the parks, I must insert a word of caution in the midst of the enthusiasm. Storms this time of year tend to be very heavy on lightning. Lightning kills more people each year than tornadoes and hurricanes combined. So, if you see just a normal rain, put on a poncho and have fun. However, if lightning is involved (even the "cloud-to-cloud" type) find a place to be indoors and stay put.

DisneyDudet
08-28-2007, 01:33 AM
Don't go to Canada. For some odd reason, it always rains when we walk by the Canada pavilion. We've put on many a poncho in the gift shop! So strange though!

IloveDisney71
08-28-2007, 08:20 PM
We love to go to the water parks when it rains. We were at Disney in June a couple of years ago and the weather called for rain most of the day (not thunderstorms - just rain), so we headed to TL and had a BLAST. There was hardly anyone there so there were NO wait times on any of the rides. If you're going to be wet anyway, you may as well hit a waterpark. :)