PDA

View Full Version : Tips for dining plan newbies--PLEASE!

jgt
08-25-2007, 09:53 PM
We leave on Thursday for 5 days at the Poly. Have been to Disney 10+ times but this is the first time we've tried the dining plan.
Please send ANY and ALL advice--from snacks to Signature dining best-bets.

Thanks so much -- in advance..

wdw_bound
08-25-2007, 10:27 PM
Umm, you've already got ADRs, right?

If not, get on the phone with Disney dining at 7 am tomorrow and tell them you will take whatever they have left. ADRs go quickly.

That said, some of my family favorites:

TS
Whispering Canyon Cafe
Crystal Palace (have done breakfast, looking forward to dinner)
Ohana
Liberty Tree Tavern

Signature
We've only done Mickey's Backyard BBQ which we really enjoyed, but I'm not sure it's worth 2TS credits

CS
Wolfgang Puck Express
Yorkshire County Fish & Chips / Cookes of Dublin
Pecos Bill
Electric Umbrella
Four Season food court (think that's the name - in the Land Pavillion)

faline
08-25-2007, 10:39 PM
To get the most out of your plan, look at the more expensive offerings of the restaurant.

If you're too stuffed for dessert, have them package it up and bring it back to your resort. You then have a sweet breakfast available the next day (Don't foget to stop by the food court of your resort for some forks and paper plates!)

When we did the dining plan, you could order either an appetizer or a salad for your appetizer. We would order an appetizer to split and then order a salad to share as well - the plan through this year includes one appetizer per person!

Samtastic
08-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Dont get caught up in prices. Don't order the most expensive just because you can, order what you want.

mrsgaribaldi
08-26-2007, 04:48 AM
Call and get some ADR's quick. I called last week to get a few for the 2nd week in Sept and I could only get ones for lunch around 3:30 most days. I don't mind a late lunch/early dinner but you must make at least a few so you are not left out. Good luck and have a great trip:mickey:

BelleLovesTheBeast
08-27-2007, 01:40 PM
This will be my 8th trip to WDW and I have never purchased the dining plan. I called 2 weeks ago to make reservations and Tony Town Square, Le Cellier and Coral Reef were already completely booked during our 11 day trip. Usually, we just walk up and wait for a table. Do you think this is a possible considering the full reservations (we usually eat late)? Or is eating at these restaurants out of the question?

So far we have reservations at Chef de France, Raglan Road, Spoodles, Crystal Palace (breakfast), Ohana's, Biergarten and Rose & Crown. Do you have any other suggestions?

DDuck66
08-27-2007, 02:36 PM
This will be my 8th trip to WDW and I have never purchased the dining plan. I called 2 weeks ago to make reservations and Tony Town Square, Le Cellier and Coral Reef were already completely booked during our 11 day trip. Usually, we just walk up and wait for a table. Do you think this is a possible considering the full reservations (we usually eat late)? Or is eating at these restaurants out of the question?

So far we have reservations at Chef de France, Raglan Road, Spoodles, Crystal Palace (breakfast), Ohana's, Biergarten and Rose & Crown. Do you have any other suggestions?

Keep calling as many times there are cancellations, but given the time of the year and the free dining, I imagine that those restaurants will be booked especially Le Cellier as it is one of the most popular.
As to the original post, make sure that you use your snack credits wisely. We always got drinks and waters and took them back to the room for something to have late at night or in the morning before we set out.

disneycouple2004
08-27-2007, 02:45 PM
DITTO: Make your ADR's fast !! 407-WDW-DINE
Enjoy some of the nicer resturants( order whatever you like) not just because its expensive...Tip is included don't forget about that..Try something new..or different ...and smile when you leave without paying and no one is chasing you :D
have a wonderful trip

BelleLovesTheBeast
08-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Keep calling as many times there are cancellations, but given the time of the year and the free dining, I imagine that those restaurants will be booked especially Le Cellier as it is one of the most popular.
As to the original post, make sure that you use your snack credits wisely. We always got drinks and waters and took them back to the room for something to have late at night or in the morning before we set out.

Thanks! I've been calling a couple times a week to see if anyone has cancelled. No luck yet.

I heard you can use them at the F&WF booths. Is this true? We usually bring bottles of water with us and if we run out buy one of the gallon jugs in gift shop.

poeticeclipse
08-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Oh... this is a tough one. I've become our family's dining plan expert. Your case is a tough one in the sense that if you don't have ADR's... it will be a pain to get them. Be persistant. Don't give up. Call back once in the morning and once in the afternoon. You're going to have to be flexible with what places you eat at. Also, you will need to be flexible with the times in which you eat.

I'll give you my top places to eat and you can go from there.

'Ohana - not your typical meal. Family style. Great atmosphere. Tons of food. At the Poly...so... 5 stars on just that alone.

Cape May Cafe - Awesome clambake! Best clam chowder. Buffet of all buffets for me.

Mama Melrose - Great for last minute reservations. Awesome food and cute atmosphere. Service is always top notch.

Le Cellier - My new fav. Hard to get into though. You may have to be persistant even when you're in the world. Keep checking at the front desk and see if they can get you in anytime during your stay. It's worth the extra trouble.

DestinationWDW
08-27-2007, 07:53 PM
I think you can use snack credits at F&WF booths - look for DP symbol...that will let you know what you can for a snack credit. Usually if less than $4, it can be a snack. :number1: