PDA

View Full Version : washcloth animals

cknorr28
08-25-2007, 08:26 PM
While in Disney 2 weeks ago mousekeeping made my kids a duck out of the washcloths in our room. Well I just went upstairs and my youngest (9) had some friends over this afternoon and they took it apart. I don't know why but I'm soooo :mad:. Just needed to vent.

PiratePaul
08-25-2007, 08:36 PM
Um....

I don't think you are supposed to take the towel animals with you....:confused: Maybe I'm wrong...:blush:

medic9016
08-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Yes you can take them with you. I ask several year ago when we stayed a WL.

bkfree
08-25-2007, 09:27 PM
We have also copped a few made out of washcloths. They had stickers and pony tail holders and all kinds of thing decorating them, I doubt housekeeping spends the time taking them apart for laundry.
There are a couple of websites I found that have lessons on towel art. Maybe you can redo it. Ours on a high shelf in the kids bathroom and they love them so much, they won't even touch them.
I will be glad to send you a pic of ours and maybe how they did it. Private message me if you want.
I would be:mad: too!

Jen C.
08-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Um....

I don't think you are supposed to take the towel animals with you....:confused: Maybe I'm wrong...:blush:

I'm with you PiratePaul! Maybe I'm in the minority but I've never taken any of the towel animals. Even those with intricate designs. If you get a towel animal a day, and you're there for 6 or 7 days, are you really allowed to "take" them all with you? I've always felt guilty taking them apart at the end of the trip. You mean all of this time I could've been taking those cute creations home?;)

bkfree
08-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Let me add that we only take the small washcloth animals, not the larger ones made with hand or bath towels. Our last trip at the Yacht Club, they made towels animals and elaborate "towel scapes" with my kids toys every day.BUT only two of the days they did wash cloth animals with all the decorating face stickers and stuff. So I think nabbing 2 small washcloths doesn't really criminalize me. Or maybe I am using my Disneymania as a temporary insanity defense to my once every other year bout of kleptomania.;)

KylesMom
08-25-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm sorry you lost your duck! :( We had a rabbit fall apart, and I'll be darned if I could figure out how to get it back together!

As to the other question of whether to take the towel animals, we have been told by the Mousekeepers to take a few of them home - on several different occasions! We usually only take one home (and we average 13-15 creations per stay), but goodness - I certainly don't feel like a criminal for doing so, especially since it was offered!

Wrigley
08-25-2007, 10:17 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your towel animal. I know that I would be very upset also. We brought home a towel dog from our last trip! It is a nice memory that we brought home from our trip!!!!

Jen C.
08-25-2007, 10:19 PM
i definitely wouldn't call towel-animal napping criminal!!!:D Don't get me wrong...I'm jealous!! i wish I'd have known that you could take those cuties!!:)

Maybe I'll have an extra guest come home with me next week when we head back to the Poly! And I imagine if he/she comes apart I'll be sad:( too!

wdw_bound
08-25-2007, 10:21 PM
While I'm sure Mousekeeping expects to have a few animals stray, I don't take ours.

1. If they were for keeps, yesterday's wouldn't disappear with today's maid service, IMHO.

2. While I am truly addicted to all things WDW related (DH will absolutely vouch for this - he's threatened to sign me up for that Intervention show), I really don't need a lot of clutter in my house, and end up with tons of souveniers each trip anyway (in addition to the usual purchased stuff, we have string shot out at Playhouse Disney, a Mardi Gras coin given to DD while disembarking at POFQ, a lei from Ohana, a paper autographed placemat from Chef Mickey's,...well, you get the picture).

Again, I'm sure that Disney security hasn't started raiding DME busses to confiscate contraband bunnies, and I'm also sure that mousekeeping has been instructed, if asked, to tell folks they can keep the animals. For our family, digital photos and memories are good enough. YMMV.:mickey:

Gottaluvgoof
08-25-2007, 11:01 PM
I have been numerous times to all different resorts and have NEVER been left a towel animal. What's up with that? :D I feel jipped! :mickey:

TennesseeTink
08-25-2007, 11:24 PM
While I'm sure Mousekeeping expects to have a few animals stray, I don't take ours.

1. If they were for keeps, yesterday's wouldn't disappear with today's maid service, IMHO.

YMMV.:mickey:

Hmmm, we've never had our towel animals taken by mousekeeping the next day. They've always stayed in our room until after we leave.

I had always wished that we could bring them home with us but felt funny about it. After all, I don't take home towels from any other hotel I stay at. But after reading on these posts that alot of people do and that mousekeeping says it's ok, I did bring home a towel Christmas tree from our trip last year. Of course now it sits in a Disney bag in my closet...not sure what to do with it now that I have it. I think wdw_bound is right, the digital pictures and memories would have been sufficient for me. They're just so darn cool! Maybe I'll take it back in October and "release" it. lol

Nevergrowup
08-25-2007, 11:55 PM
As a manager at a hotel, I suspect Disney has built the loss of washclothes into their linen budget.

I don't take mine home. I figure if I was supposed to take a towel animal, Disney would supply its staff with room cards to let the me know they are a gift.

kakn7294
08-26-2007, 12:01 AM
Okay, I'm guilty! I brought home our little washcloth bunny last week! She was there when we checked in and remained in the same spot all week. At the end of the stay, she just jumped right into my suitcase and came home with me. We've also gotten them on other trips but had never taken them home until last December when the mousekeeper told us to. This trip, the mousekeeper left mardi gras beads for my DD's. We assumed that those were for keeps and brought them home too. I can't imagine why they would go through all the trouble if we can't keep them.

vamaggie
08-26-2007, 08:38 AM
On our last trip (04 to WL) we had washcloth animals on a few days (usually "playing" w our kids stuffed animals). They all stayed, were never taken away after they joined the gang. On our last day we asked if we could take one home and were told it was fine to do so. We still have the duck in the kids bathroom. I would feel funny about taking more than one but I think one is ok (we don't go to WDW often so the souvenier lot is not too great)

lindique
08-26-2007, 04:52 PM
I read somewhere that the Mousekeepers make the animals out of holey, threadbare washcloths that are no longer suitable for regular use. And that it's perfectly fine to take one home. :mickey:

KevGuy
08-26-2007, 11:15 PM
We had 13 animals made for us over 9 days last trip and took 2 home lol. I'm told we just made it onto the plane with them before the washcloth police shut down the MCO terminal looking for us. Whew....:mickey:

Clotho
08-27-2007, 12:16 AM
We had 13 animals made for us over 9 days last trip and took 2 home lol. I'm told we just made it onto the plane with them before the washcloth police shut down the MCO terminal looking for us. Whew....:mickey:

LOLROFL!

I, too, would never have thought to bring them home. :confused: That doesn't sound right at all! But if it is true that they make them out of the towels that are going to be scrapped anyway, then I can see why they wouldn't mind a few "hopping" into a bag.

But by that token, I would rather leave mine behind and allow another guest to get one, than to take one home that will just come apart eventually and end up a rag or trash. They don't have an unlimited supply of towels, threadbare or otherwise; which to me means that for every one taken, that is the possibility of one person who isn't going to get one. So if you can bear to part with yours, may I suggest you "pay it forward" and leave it so another guest can get one to bring them joy!!:thumbsup:

ncscgirl2005
08-27-2007, 10:40 AM
I have been numerous times to all different resorts and have NEVER been left a towel animal. What's up with that? :D I feel jipped! :mickey:

Sorry you missed out. We aquired quite a few on our 5-night stay. They are the cutest lil things. We also got the word "THANKS" spelled out on our bed in hand towels one day (i should have double-checked that Mouskeeping envelope to see how much I really left in there!). But we never took any of the creations home with us. We go through so many washclothes and towels that we were thankful for the "extra supply" (can you tell it was our first time there?). Anyhoo, we only took pictures of the designs which is just enough for our scrapbook.

brownie
08-27-2007, 04:39 PM
We've only taken pictures of what "mousekeeping" has done. The last time we stayed at Movies, they would arrange your souvenirs in window displays in your room; some were quite elaborate. It was neat walking past all the windows, and we even saw some things we decided to pick up (what a marketing concept!)

We've had towel creations on one trip, but we didn't take them home.

BMan62
08-27-2007, 07:43 PM
On our trip for Valentine's Day we had towel animals every day with the best being on Valentine's Day itself. We came back to the room to find two graceful swans with their beaks touching, making it look like a huge heart.

Lyda and her crew did a wonderful job that week!