PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Flights

Jeri Lynn
08-25-2007, 10:58 AM
I am still looking for anything even halfway decent for our flights to MCO, we can fly out of Hartford or Providence and we are leaving 11/25 and returning on 12/2.

I have never paid more than $180 for a RT flight and am willing to book even at a higher fare but the flight times and availability aren't even there.

It seems as though SW offers their new deals on every Tuesday, although none have applied to me yet.

I check everyday a few times a day...

Does anyone know if SW actually changes their fares/schedules more than once a week, am I wasting my time checking multiple times every day?

It's the last thing I need for our WDW vacation, everything else is in order.

I'm getting bummed!!

zaneymax
08-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Have you tried going to the Southwest Airlines website and downloading "DING!"?:confused: My sister did this for me when she was at my house and I get a "DING!" message from Southwest Airlines once or twice a day. :thumbsup: They feature fares not advertised otherwise. I checked sometime yesterday and they had some awesome flights available, albeit the times were very early or very late - but what the hey! - this will let you stay at WDW even later! :mickey: Please try it, you should not be disappointed! Please let me know if this works out for you!:blush:

Jeri Lynn
08-25-2007, 01:08 PM
HI Zanymax,
Yes, I do have ding downloaded on my computer, unfortunately they have not had any real offers past 10/31 yet...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I am going to book each segment separately so that if something changes it will be easier to rebook.

mudpuppysmom
08-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Just a side comment here.......I have been watching for ANY and I mean ANY DING from Pittsburgh to MCO for MONTHS and there has been NOTHING!!! I'm thinkng they have cut back on the DING fares from some cities that they now seem to have a stronger foothold in -- maybe up your way might be the same case as we have here it Pittsburgh?!?!?!

kakn7294
08-25-2007, 05:22 PM
I agree with mudpuppysmom! I haven't seen any DING fare between PIT and MCO in months - probably since spring. And I bet it's related to exactly what she said - a strong foothold from here to Orlando so no need to discount fares. If there's no availability now, I'm thinking that there will be no availability at all - the flights are sold out and it's unlikely that new ones will be added. You could get lucky and someone cancels but otherwise you might have to consider another airline. Good luck to you on getting your flights!

teambricker04
08-25-2007, 06:57 PM
I don't know if you were flying SW, but 180 RT from just about anywhere to just about anywhere is a smokin' deal. Especially if you are in a bigger market.

We are from Indy, and got some great seats on Air Tran (3 seats for 380... UNBELIEVABLE!)

Try the following airlines:
Jet Blue
Air Tran
United
Delta
US Airways
Spirit
Allegiant (sp?)
USA 3000
ATA

You could even go on priceline and plug in what you want.

If you are flexible, Wed to Wed is going to be the best fares.

ALSO! Sometimes website keep track of your cookies on your computer. This means if you are trying to do price comparaions or going back to a site to see if they have better deals it will know you have been checking for a particular product and keep raising the prices instead of giving you the best deal. Complicated and pretty tricky, if you ask me.

Good luck!

LauraF
08-25-2007, 08:15 PM
I usually fly out of Providence too and I've seen that Friday the prices seem to go up and Tuesday or Wednesday they tend to go down. I think it might be silly to check more than once a day, because I work with the website people for my company (not an airline) and from experience most rate feeds are done daily.

But looking at your dates - you are flying at the BUSIEST time of the year. Deals will be hard to come by. That's not to say none will open up, but I'd be surprised to find flights at $59 each way. If you can drive it, Manchester, NH always is cheaper than Providence.

Jeri Lynn
08-27-2007, 07:36 AM
Well this morning I woke up and checked Southwest again. Ideally I wanted to book each segment seperately, and when I did my search I found a half decent price, but it would only come up if I was booking round trip...so that's what I did. It is the most I've ever paid for a flight from Providence to Orlando, $258 RT, but at least I am booked and if something comes along that is better, great, if not, oh well.

I had to buy four tickets and we did have a voucher for $158, so basically we paid $219 per ticket after all was said and done.

So our trip planning is now complete. I'll continue to watch for a lower fare, but for now I atleast have the flights with the times I wanted booked!

crazeedizneefinatic
08-27-2007, 10:02 AM
We are flying out of Pittsburgh International on Sept 21st. I agree there have been no "dings" for anything. We lucked out though a few months back we got airfare for $69.40 each way, which includes taxes. It was not a ding but an email for a sale which is kinda confusing since a ding is suppossed to give you the deals. I now watch my emails as closely as the dings. Although for the 4 of us we are paying $555.52 RT I don't think we are going any lower at this point. Here is some :pixie: to wish you some luck in lowering your fare.

Gottaluvgoof
08-27-2007, 10:15 AM
I think it pretty much depends on when you're traveling. We got a ding price of $74 each way from St. Louis. On the Tuesday email specials, it has been much higher. We are traveling in September, which is not a heavy travel time. 11 more days to Disney World! :thumbsup:

WDWFanatic
08-27-2007, 10:20 AM
The SW game drive me batty also!!!

At least now you have your flight and if the prices do go down you'll end up with another voucher.

That's another hard part with SW even after you have your tickets you keep checking for a better deal, lol.

Glad you got them booked and I hope they go down some more for you!

pugslave
08-27-2007, 02:39 PM
I too am hoping for a SW deal out of Providence for 12/1 -12/8. There really have not been many Dings for MCO out of Providence lately either. We booked when they first released the dates and got $99 one way, but we're hoping for a better deal. I do check several times a day, just because I am a planning freak like that, and it makes me feel better to check! The way I figure it, it only takes a minute or two, and if it can save me money.....

disneyfan328
08-27-2007, 05:19 PM
My DH was playing the watching and waiting game with SW too. We booked out trip (hotel ect) in April and started watching then for SW to open up for the dates we needed. They finally did at the end of April, but no good deals. We have ding and emails ect. Basically he kept watching and waiting. He would check a couple times a day as would I. He found fares in May for 54.00 each way PIT to MCO non stop at great times (we think so at least hehehe). It was not a ding or an email fare. It was pretty funny as when I called our TA to let her know so that she could let DME know, she was suprised at the fare and knew nothing about it. She checked it and started calling her clients that were looking for those fares too!!!

We haven't seen them that low since. I think they are at 68-74 right now. I know that if I was still looking I would book at that fare as from what I heard they tend to go back up the closer you get to your dates? I am super happy with the 54.00 fare we got regardless. Just keep checking and good luck!!

mousetrapper
08-27-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm seeing much better prices if you fly mid-week or on an "off" day (i.e., not a Saturday) but that just wasn't an option for us.

I think airfares are just really high right now! We also never paid much more that $200 round trip but this time we're paying about $400!!! It made me sick, but I had already booked my WDW vacation so what was I to do?!?

Plus, we're going Thanksgiving week, so the prices are probably higher then. I didn't know the airlines could "gouge" you like this, but I guess they can!

I am keeping my eye (ear?) on DING to see if anything lower comes up closer to our dates....

Dawneeeey
08-27-2007, 08:03 PM
I bought my tickets for our October trip in July. It was $99 each way from Manchester, NH to MCO. About a month later, in my click N save emails, the price was $58 each way. I changed the flight and now I have a $460 credit!!!

So I would just keep checking or make sure you are signed up for click n save as well as Ding!

Over the weekend they had low Ding! fares, but only through 10/31. So you never know what could pop up!! Be patient, grasshoppers. :D