PDA

View Full Version : Canon camera at WDW/DL?

BklynChick
08-24-2007, 10:27 PM
I just purchased a Canon Power Shot SD750. My one concern about the camera is that it only uses a rechargeable li-on battery. My Kodak took rechargeables as well - but theirs had one that I could buy just like a regular battery, so I always had a backup and never had to worry about running out of juice.

Has anyone used this type of Canon camera at WDW or DL? How was the battery life? How often did you recharge?

My thought is to charge the night before I leave on Sunday, then again on Tuesday and Thursday. Would this overcharge the battery?

berri_boo
08-24-2007, 10:46 PM
My DH has a canon digital camera that also uses the li-on battery. He just purchased a spare battery (which I would recommend anyway) and always had a charged battery on hand just in case the other battery died. As long as you don't leave the camera on when not in use you shouldn't eat through the battery life all that fast.

Canon advises against charging a battery that isn't fully "dead" as that can kill the life of your battery.

I myself just purchased the SD750 a few weeks ago & just absolutely love it. :thumbsup: I purchased a spare Canon battery on-line from amazon for a very reasonable price. I'm looking forward to using my new camera on our upcoming Nov trip.

I have had nothing but Canon cameras (digital, 35mm & SLR) & am always very happy with their products.

Fangorn
08-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Li-On batteries are fundamentally different from Ni-Cad and Alkaline batteries. They work better and last longer if they are recharged frequently and not allowed to discharge much below 50% (I've heard 60% even). NiCad batteries are just the opposite. They like to be fully discharged and then fully recharged.

So with your Canon, you'd actually be better off recharging it every night. If you're using the original charger, it shouldn't be possible to "overcharge" a LiOn battery.

I don't have any personal experience with the Canon regarding battery life (assuming you mean how long can you go on one charge and not how long before the battery no longer holds a charge). However, my experience with other cameras says that you shouldn't have any problem getting through a full day/night of picture taking on a single charge.

As to the question of total battery life, expect 2-3 years before it dies.

Hope this helps.

Steve

nicole48040
08-25-2007, 12:57 PM
battery life has been great for our sd750, but for WDW my husband still opted to play it safe and get an extra battery. You just never know ;)

Volunteer
08-25-2007, 02:06 PM
I have the SD1000. Next week I am leaving for Destin for the long weekend and on the 4th I fly out for a week to WDW. I am going to take the battery charger with me on both trip because I hope to take a lot of pictures. However, like the previous posts above - i might now just charge the battery every night when I am at WDW just to be safe. I'll look for this thread when I get home and have the time (around the 12th) - and I can let you know how the camera battery holds up. They arent the same model but very similar ( i have a freind with the sd750 - she loves it as I love my sd1000).

mudpuppysmom
08-25-2007, 02:44 PM
While I do not have the same camera you do, I have a 30D, I can say I charged my battery one time while we were there for eight days.....I charged it on I think the fourth or fifth night. I find that the battery on my Canon is WAY better than any other digital I have had (I used to have to recharge daily). I think if you plug it in every other day you should be fine. I took approx 500 pictures the week we were there so that might give you a better idea of how many clicks you can get.....and I even forgot to turn it off one day most of the day and still we were good to go.

wdwnomad
08-25-2007, 10:16 PM
I have an SD600 and charged my battery every night at Disney. Never once did it run out on me.

Another tip, I can't remember where I read it though, was that at the Photo Centers at Disney they will recharge your battery for free if you get in a jam. You drop it off and they give you a card to come back to pick it up in 15-30 minutes.

JohnnyJayhawk
08-25-2007, 10:28 PM
DW has an SD 200, takes a ton of pics each day at the parks, and we only charge it every other day. Even then, it isn't out of juice, but I do that to be on the safe side.

BklynChick
08-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Wow, thanks to everyone for responding. Good to hear such rave reviews about the Canons - my brother and sister each have one and loved them, that's why I went for it.

I may still buy an extra battery with some rewards certificates I have coming to me that will expire, and maybe recharge once or twice during the actual trip.

JohnnyJayhawk
08-26-2007, 11:34 AM
DW has an SD 200, takes a ton of pics each day at the parks, and we only charge it every other day. Even then, it isn't out of juice, but I do that to be on the safe side.

DisneyDudet
08-26-2007, 05:06 PM
I have an SD600 and charged my battery every night at Disney. Never once did it run out on me.

Another tip, I can't remember where I read it though, was that at the Photo Centers at Disney they will recharge your battery for free if you get in a jam. You drop it off and they give you a card to come back to pick it up in 15-30 minutes.

I read this too, but they would need the chargers, so I wouldn't rely on this, unless you bring your charger with you. Maybe someone going soon can make sure of this.

Also, if you go back for breaks, you can charge then as well.