PDA

View Full Version : The All New American Gladiators

dw2649
08-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Our wish is their command. NBC is brining back American Gladiators. :D MGM Television and Reveille will produce the new version. I just hope that it is campy as the original version, which in my opinion, made it a success. I have heard that some of the competitions, like the eliminator, the joust, and hang tough, will be returning.

From tv.zap2it.com:

"American Gladiators" is returning to television, bringing all its spandex-clad glory not to syndication but to network primetime.

NBC is pushing forward with a new take on the show, which initially ran in syndication from 1989-97. As with the previous incarnation, the new "American Gladiators" will pit amateur athletes against a group of well-muscled regulars in a number of physical contests.

The network ran a promo for the show during "Last Comic Standing" Wednesday night and has applications for prospective contestants on its web site. The show is on the path to a midseason premiere.

"This memorable series was once a worldwide phenomenon, and given its built-in appeal, we feel it's time to re-introduce it to a new generation and take it to a heightened level of excitement for fans of all ages," says Craig Plestis, NBC's alternative-programming chief. "The 'gladiator' brand is unlike anything on television today, and is event programming at its biggest and best."

NBC co-chairman Ben Silverman worked on developing a new version of the series in his old job as head of production company Reveille. He told reporters at last month's TV press tour that the network was pursuing the show, and now the deal is done.

Reveille will still be involved in the show, producing it alongside MGM Worldwide TV. Mark Koops, Howard Owens, David Hurwitz ("Fear Factor") and "Gladiators" creator Johnny Ferraro will serve as executive producers.

The new show is expected to incorporate a number of elements from the old series, along with a greater focus on the men and women competing against the gladiators

chrisb26
08-24-2007, 11:59 PM
wow that is awesome! I used to love this show I'm so glad they are going to bring it back. I hope they keep the old glory of the show. From the sounds of it they will. I can't wait for this. :thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
08-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Interesting.. I didn't hear about this.... Thanks for letting us know.... I'll check it out....

brownie
08-27-2007, 05:01 PM
I'll have to check this out. I used to enjoy watching this, and saw some reruns recently (I think on ESPN Classic.)

chrisb26
10-04-2007, 01:45 AM
I found some new info on the return of Gladiators! It appears that the host will be Hulk Hogan! I'm exiced to see this I think he will make for a great host brother!

Source: TVWeek.com

Television industry news site TVWeek.com is reporting that professional wrestler and VH1 reality show star Hulk Hogan has signed on to host NBC’s upcoming remake of “American Gladiators".

Hogan made the rounds at NBC’s Burbank offices last week and has accepted the job. The deal is still being finalized, but sources say both parties are committed.

NBC sees Hogan as "the perfect fit" for the "Gladiators" revival. In addition to his experience as a physical performer during his years with the World Wrestling Federation, Hogan has proved he can draw viewers with sheer force of personality in his successful VH1 reality series “Hogan Knows Best.”

The network plans to showcase “Gladiators” sometime in midseason.

Like the early-1990s original, the new “Gladiators” will have everyday weekend warriors competing against the show’s cast of athletes. The remake will add special effects, water skills and high-tech stunts.

chrisb26
01-06-2008, 08:15 PM
The show has its 2 hour premier tonight before moving to its normal time slot on Mondays at 8 p.m. est!

PirateLover
01-06-2008, 10:44 PM
I watched about a half hour tonight... so far, so good:thumbsup: