PDA

View Full Version : Just DH and I, R and R.....Yeah right! Final Thoughts

dolphinmickey9170
08-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Some final thoughts.

I have to be totally honest when I tell you I love swimming and water etc. But not even once did I want to swim this time. I can't tell you why really. Other than maybe the pool at OKW did nothing for me. I have to admit I prefer the quiet pool and hot tub at Congress Park at SSR. The pool at OKW was too far from our room, too busy, noisy, etc. I also was not able to locate the laundry facilities. I like the idea of knowing exactly where things are, and at SSR I knew where to find everything easily. I kind of felt like I didn't belong at OKW. Lost, I guess.
As far as the resort itself. I actually like SSR better, other than the heavenly bed at OKW. It was a Simmons Beauty Rest Marquee mattress and so comfy. The pillows were perfectly squishy, but I couldn't find the brand name or type - but I missed my body pillow. The light coming around the door and windows, not so nice. The light coming through the frosted window in the bathroom, also not so nice. This didn't happen at SSR as the door didn't face the bed and the draperies had caps on the top to keep the light from shining in.

:mickey:We had a great mini meet with some Icot friends. John, Karen, Kathy and Phil, you are all truly wonderful people and your kids are all adorable!! I truly hope that we can do it again.:mickey:

I suggest to all that if you use Southwest, check in on-lin 24 hours ahead, you can print your pass at home, or reprint them again at the airport. When you are at the world, you can ask a CM at your concierge or front desk if they can assist you with your checkin for your departure. They are very helpful and will either let you use their computer, or they will do it for you. Just be sure to have your Southwest paperwork for the CM to see so they will not be violating the rights of WDW. This is what I was told when I called the front desk.

As far as the dining plan. We spent $389.99 for 5 nights for two people. Here is a breakdown of how it worked out.

Day 1 -
Snacks - Two bottles of water $4.00
CS lunch @ Tusker House $26.99
CS dinner @ El Pirayate $24.56

Day 2 -
CS lunch @ UK Fish and Chips and Bacon Cheeseburger in America $25.42
TS (2credits each) dinner @ California Grill $149.85

Day 3 -
Snacks - Two smoothies $8.50
TS lunch @ LeCellier $92.54

Day 4 -
TS dinner @ Rose and Crown $91.91

Day 5 -
Snacks - One Rootbeer Float, One Dole Whip $7.33
TS dinner @ Plaza Restaurant $51.95

Day 6 -
CS dinner @ Goode's plus used final two CS meals $ 60.25
Snacks - Four Mickey Rice Treats $14.22

$557.52 is the total OOP expense we WOULD have incured had we not used the DDP.

$557.52 actual cost of food
-389.90 actual cost of DDP
$167.62 total savings

I have to admit that the DDP is truly the way to go. However, with the new changes coming next year, I do know that your savings will be much less. But, not having to worry about having enough money is a relief. Also, the other side of this is, I can reward the CM appropriately for their service vs them receiving an 18% tip for less then stellar service. As far as not having the appetizer included, I would much rather see it that way than with no dessert. What, no dessert? How rude. If you truly need an appetizer, get something to split. Then you should have plenty of room for the rest of your meal.

Side note: If you are going in the summer and don't plan on doing any laundry while you are there, may I suggest you bring two shirts per person per day. My DH went through double the shirts and we actually had to buy 3 or 4 more while we where there. It was just so hot and you sweat so much. I also bring a mini travel sized deodorant in my fanny pack to use when neccesary at the parks. We also are going to purchase a camelback for my DH to carry. The amount of water bottles we went through, he would rather carry one of those. The one we are looking at actually can carry other items as well, this way I won't have to carry a bag at all.

If you are celebrating a special event, be sure to let them know. Go to Guest Relations at any park and get your Happy Birthday, Happy Anniversary, Just Married etc pins. Wear them. Tell the CM when you make your ADR's about the celebration. You just might get some neat surprises that you would never expect. We have received, champagne glasses, complimentary champage toasts, free FPs, extra treats at mealtime, tons of "Happy _________" or "Congratulations" from CM and visitors alike.

Above all else, have a great time and let your cares fade away as the world takes you to "Another World"!!

Thanks for reading.

Next up........December Christmas Family Vacation! Our first christmas trip ever!

If you are going, give me a PM, this way we can meet up!!

Bethis26fan
08-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Thanks for sharing your trip it sounds like you had a great time.

Sunshine1010
08-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Great report. Very honest.....and I LOVE those kinds of reports.

Question: How is The Plaza? We plan on going there in October and we've never been.

Have fun on your trip in December.

DestinationWDW
08-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks for posting! Sounds like a great trip!:mickey:

iheartmickey
08-24-2007, 10:54 PM
It sounds like you really enjoyed your trip. I really enjoyed reading it ... made me feel like I was there with you! :mickey:

Thanks again for sharing! :thumbsup:

pdrlkr
08-24-2007, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

Lizzie
08-25-2007, 01:19 AM
Thanks for all your reports. :mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
08-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Great report. Very honest.....and I LOVE those kinds of reports.

Question: How is The Plaza? We plan on going there in October and we've never been.

Have fun on your trip in December.

Hi Sunshine, The Plaza is excellent!! My DH loves their cheesesteak sub. I have had several sandwiches there and they are very good. The Plaza Club is ham and turkey, tomato, lettuce, bacon, mayo on a multi grain bread. It is huge and delicious. All of their food is delicious. And of course, the ice cream for dessert tops it all. Enjoy!

IloveJack
08-25-2007, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the report. Dh and I loved our trip together this summer. I'm sure we'll have fun with our kids (once we have them), but Disney is wonderful for just grownups, too!

faline
08-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Sounds like you made good use of the dining plan and got to eat at some yummy restaurants as well!

aprilisis
08-27-2007, 04:56 PM
That was a great report- thanks for posting. I really enjoyed it! :thumbsup:

January-2007
08-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the trip reports, have fun planning your next adventure!

DizNee143
08-28-2007, 03:35 PM
im glad you and your hubby had such a wonderful vacation!! im sorry you didnt think OKW was all that..its an ok resort in my eyes also.....thank you for sharing your trip with us!! i enjoyed reading all about it!! :mickey: