PDA

View Full Version : Help! What's the Deal With Date Based Pricing

Tigger for President '08
08-24-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm thinking of booking a trip to Disney and I'm not completely understanding this whole Date Based Pricing thing.

With all of these changes going on is it still worth staying on-property beginning at what Disney considers a value season that crosses over into what they consider a peak season? Or should I just look off property for a better deal?

What about weekend prices shooting up?

HELP!!!!

:confused:

LauraF
08-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Every mainstream hotel uses date-based pricing - this is nothing unusual. Nearly any hotel you stay at (unless you're traveling on some sort of a negotiated group rate) will charge different prices by date.

It is new for WDW however, as there was a loophole about checking in on the last day of a season and getting that rate for your entire stay. While prices will be higher, I doubt they'll "shoot up." Disney does want to keep people staying on property. :mickey:

If you simply must stay across price seasons at a WDW hotel then either be prepared to pay a different rate by the night or go off property (and lose the benefits of staying on site.) I really don't think it's that bad a change.

faline
08-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Not only do prices go up based on season, they also go up and down based on day of week.

For example, if I want to stay in a Fort Wilderness cabin for 2 weeks beginning on February 7, 2008, my pricing looks like this:

Date Rate per Night
Thu, Feb 07 - Wed, Feb 13 $ 255.00
Thu, Feb 14 $ 340.00
Fri, Feb 15 - Sun, Feb 17 $ 360.00
Mon, Feb 18 - Wed, Feb 20 $ 340.00

Disney Doll
08-24-2007, 02:34 PM
I understand why they do it, but it does seem to make things more confusing. You would definitely have to do some calculating to see what's the best deal.

crazeedizneefinatic
08-24-2007, 02:34 PM
In my opinion it is terrible, especially when I saw your example. The largest difference in price being $105 per night! That's alot of money! I know alot of hotels do this and I don't have a problem there. But when I stay at a regular hotel I usually am not paying thousands above the hotel stay for activites and food. Plus at a regular hotel we do spend more time there, unlike Disney where all day is usally at the park. Another point is that most people do not do Disney for overnight. So you are basically stuck paying whatever they want according to the day of the week! I think it's a greedy decision for Disney to do this. I can totally understand the season pricing but night by night is ridiculous. I know for one that "during the week" vacations will become the norm for us than. Seeing the new pricing staying on property may not be the way to go anymore, even factoring in a rental car. We used to stay off site but it came to the same amount usually without the hassle of getting a car and returning it. With the new pricing at Disney getting a 2 bedroom villa and a rental car may be cheaper. Food savings would be better too since with a rental car you are not held captive and can choose where to eat. Believe me I love to stay on site, I think it truly is magical, but may no longer be the route to go.

Here we go again...
08-24-2007, 11:42 PM
I sure am glad we bought into DVC when we did... :cloud9:

TheRustyScupper
08-25-2007, 01:33 AM
I sure am glad we bought into DVC when we did... :cloud9:

DVC has used season-based and day-based rates (pts) since its inception.

Here we go again...
08-25-2007, 02:50 AM
DVC has used season-based and day-based rates (pts) since its inception.

Yes, they have. However, I know ahead of time that the weekends are more points and holidays are more points. What I love is that my points will not change.

We always had to book our stays starting in the value season to avoid the higher rates. That allowed us to stay at moderate and deluxe resorts. Now, I do not have to worry that one night might be over $100 more than the night before. No more worries about rate increases. :D

MNNHFLTX
08-25-2007, 09:23 AM
I agree that the new pricing policy does make getting the best deal more confusing. Your best bet is probably to get quotes for several date combinations and then compare them to the prices being offered offsite. You may still find that the convenience of staying onsite is worth the difference in price, unless it is exorbitant.

magicofdisney
08-25-2007, 04:12 PM
In my opinion it is terrible, especially when I saw your example. The largest difference in price being $105 per night! That's alot of money! I know alot of hotels do this and I don't have a problem there. But when I stay at a regular hotel I usually am not paying thousands above the hotel stay for activites and food. Plus at a regular hotel we do spend more time there, unlike Disney where all day is usally at the park.
Excellent points.

Goofygal003
08-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Oh how annoying..does anyone know why Disney started doing DBPricing all of a sudden this year? Even if other hotels have already been doing it, what suddenly provoked Disney to make the change? Kind of annoyed here, since I am coming during New Years..