PDA

View Full Version : Which Poly restaurant?

Samtastic
08-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Which polynesian restaurant would you recommend? Luau, Ohana or Kona?

Jared
08-24-2007, 09:41 AM
'Ohana and Kona Cafe are two of my favorite restaurants in Walt Disney World. My family tries to eat at both each trip.

The two places are very different and definitely appeal to specific tastes.

'Ohana is a family style feast specializing in grilled meats. Servers begin bringing appetizers right away, and the food doesn't stop until you say so. Check the menu for the exact fare, but the chicken wings are especially delicious.

Kona Cafe is a traditional table service restaurant with an open dessert kitchen. The appetizers and desserts are exceptional, and the entrees aren't too bad, either. The crab cakes and chicken wings are excellent starters.

If I had to choose one, I'd probably eat at Kona Cafe because 'Ohana is simply too much food. If you're on the Disney Dining Plan, Kona Cafe is probably a better use of credits.

:tasty:

Mickey'sGirl
08-24-2007, 09:55 AM
I agree with Jared.

Kona is my favourite restaurant at Disney -- and my kids really enjoy it too.

'Ohana has delicious food and is tons of fun ...so it all depends on what you are looking for.

faline
08-24-2007, 09:57 AM
Of the three you mention, I'd choose Kona though the others are also very good!

08-24-2007, 11:16 AM
We had lunch @ Kona the day we arrived & breakfast @ Ohana the day we were leaving. Both places were excellent. Ohana is served family style & they bring you lots of food. The Mickey waffles were so yummy!

TBY2225
08-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Kona Cafe is my favorite resturant in WDW. My DDH and DD loved it too! The Mahi Mahi is the best! I can't wait to get it again next month.
I haven't tried Ohana, but we have ADR's for it coming up in September! The Poly is a great hotel. I love the theming!

Shugoondola
08-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Welcome to Intercot!

One of my favorite places to eat in all of WDW is 'Ohana. It's a "Can't be Missed" place for me.

:mickey:

poeticeclipse
08-24-2007, 01:41 PM
O'hana is one of my favorite places to eat in WDW. So, my vote is for O'hana!!

pox24
08-24-2007, 02:03 PM
O'Hana's.... Kona is fair and the Luau food is ok. Not worth the money even though you get the show. I would recommend Kona for breakfast however. Kona is over priced for the portions. O'Hana's you can eat till next Tuesday.

Samtastic
08-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Oh this is so difficult! Just when I was leaning towards Kona, you guys vote for Ohana!!

haha, thanks for the help. I'm sure both are awesome. It's so difficult to choose!

Polynesian Dweller
08-24-2007, 06:11 PM
It really isn't about voting which is best. The three are very different from each other as one person pointed and in some ways not comparable.

To choose O'hana you really have to like meat. That's what its really about, skewers of meat, shrimp, chicken brought to your table. Its not about traditional dinner type meals. For us its a bit too noisy and we felt overwhelmed by the meat on meat. But, if that's what you are looking for then the quality is high.

Kona cafe is the traditional restaurant with an eclectic menu. The food is very good and it has become one of our annual stops. We prefer it to O'hana because its quieter and lets us choose a broader meal.

The Luau is a dinner show. The show is what you will be paying for. We think the food is only average but if you want a dinner show then choose this one.

So, you have to decide which type of dinner experience you want and then the restaurant will be obvious.:mickey:

MinnieMommie
08-24-2007, 10:18 PM
I agree that all are good but different . That being said, my favorite restaurant at Disney is Kona. I just love having dinner there - the food is delicious and the atmosphere is relaxed. :mickey:

Natazu
08-25-2007, 04:23 AM
Kona is one of the best restaurants at Disney. I recommend it highly.
'Ohana is very good, more of a family fun place. (mostly for a family of carnivores) It's a good value and very enjoyable.
The luau is fun but kind of expensive for what you get - a good show and ok food. (free liquor though)

Vinny
08-26-2007, 12:05 AM
Welcome to Intercot!

One of my favorite places to eat in all of WDW is 'Ohana. It's a "Can't be Missed" place for me.

:mickey:

I feel the same way since trying Ohana for the first time on our last trip. After planning our trip for Feb. 2008 the next call I made was to WDW Dining to get an ADR. Ohana is well worth it for the meal and overall experience.

jsw123
08-26-2007, 01:10 AM
Ohana's was our favorite character meal in our entire trip. We did Norway's Princess lunch and Chef Mickey's. Ohana's was beyond measure the best. We did breakfast and, if you like it like me, it was delicious! My daughter was a Stitch fanatic after the experience! I want to go back for dinner now. The restaurant is beautiful and the servers are so nice! We didn't do Kona, but it sounds like you can't go wrong here! We'll have to make two stops our next trip! Good luck with your decision---:mickey:!

dtootsie42
08-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Wow, this is a tough decision....we try to eat at both Ohana's and Kona when we go. Each is unique and different, if you can I would try to eat at both. If you can't do both try Ohana's if you are looking for a really fun family experience and lots and lots of food. Otherwise Kona is simply terrific.

luvdiznee
08-26-2007, 02:13 PM
How 'bout Kona for lunch and Ohana for dinner? :mickey:Whichever you decide, you can't go wrong. Both have good food. :cloud9:

dolphinmickey9170
08-26-2007, 02:27 PM
How about Kona Cafe for Breakfast - get the Tonga Toast!!

Than O'Hana for Dinner - we loved all of their food. The chicken wingies are so yummy!!

No matter what you choose, enjoy it!

Oh, may I suggest a Lapu Lapu (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2212942160042804337rZTciR):papple:!!!!

mickey-mouse35
08-26-2007, 05:09 PM
My vote goes to Kona Cafe--our favorite! Have only had breakfast at OHanas, though. Am trying dinner there this time around, in addition to Kona for breakfast AND dinner!!! :mickey: Maybe we should stay at the Poly! :lei:

GrmGrninGost
08-26-2007, 05:54 PM
'Ohana! :mickey:

pooh0601
08-26-2007, 07:33 PM
Ohana's is our favorite restaurant at the Poly. The atmosphere and food are very good IMO. As for Kona, we've had several bad experiences with very slow service and the place was never even that busy.

LudwigVonDrake
08-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Kona for lunch and 'Ohana for dinner :tikki:

threeh
08-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Kona is one of my families favorite places in all WDW. I think the food is good, atmopsphere is relaxed. We try to go once every visit. This trip we are doing a breakfast and a dinner there.

Good luck!!:mickey:

Medland
08-27-2007, 01:54 AM
Can't choose. Loved them all...
Heed the other posts about the very different atmospheres and food served and go with the one that fits best with the experience you want.

poohluva
08-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Another vote for Ohana's!!!!

:thumbsup:

:eat:

Samtastic
08-28-2007, 11:27 AM
:thumbsup: Thanks for all the help!

I think I'm going to go with Kona, because the food looks more interesting and I'm not a big meat on a stick gal! But Ohana does seem like a good deal on the DDP!

dolphinmickey9170
08-28-2007, 11:31 AM
:thumbsup: Thanks for all the help!

I think I'm going to go with Kona, because the food looks more interesting and I'm not a big meat on a stick gal! But Ohana does seem like a good deal on the DDP!

The meats are cooked on the open pit on the sticks and brought to your table. But you do not eat them from the sticks. The waitstaff brings the meat to you and places it on a plate. Just thought you should know.