PDA

View Full Version : pressed coin book

apequet
08-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Does anyone know how much a pressed coin book is in the park? I see them on line, but not sure if I should just wait and get it there? I think my kids will really enjoy collecting these coins. :mickey:Thanks!

snifflesmcg
08-24-2007, 08:55 AM
They are $6.50. Both my BF and I got them last year. They can be found almost anywhere in the parks. We got our in Toontown in the gift shop by the Judge's Tent.

apequet
08-24-2007, 09:40 AM
thank you! I think I'll just wait and get them there. 118 more days to go!:mickey:

DDuck66
08-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Be warned!!! It is addictive. We have over 8 books and about the time we have collected all the coins, then they add new ones. It does make a great souvenir gift for someone. We usually do one for a Christmas Gift every Year.

Tinkitude
08-27-2007, 11:31 AM
I think this might be something my boys would like. How much does it cost to press a coin? Do they do this in every park? I don't recall seeing this when we were there last, but I could have missed it.:mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
08-27-2007, 12:12 PM
I think this might be something my boys would like. How much does it cost to press a coin? Do they do this in every park? I don't recall seeing this when we were there last, but I could have missed it.:mickey:

51 cents if you are pressing a penny.
1.25 if you press a quarter. Be mindful though, the quarters do not fit in the penny books.

I suggest getting a role of brand new pennies at the bank, this way you will get the nicest pressed penny. The older pennies are dark and ugly while the new ones are shiny and nice looking.

carley
08-27-2007, 07:08 PM
haveing ever been to disney and going on our first trip in 19 days... we have alot of questions about everything....pressed pennies is one ot them

someone said to use new pennies... is a penny a penny? meaning we are from canada... will a canadian penny work in the machines or does it have to be american pennies? lol does this make sense??

tinksmom02
08-27-2007, 09:16 PM
I can't answer your question about Canadian pennies for sure, but I think that if they are the same size as a US penny, they would work.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

I have to add my own warning here, once you press pennies at Disney, you'll start finding machines all over the place, everywhere you go. Best bet is to always keep 2 quarters and a shiny penny tucked away somewhere! :thumbsup:

Mousefever
08-27-2007, 10:38 PM
Our son really enjoys collecting pressed pennies. We always buy the M & M minis tubes and put pennies in one and quarters in another. The pressed penny books, available at all resort shops and most others, include some spaces that will fit pressed quarters. I thought I remembered that the books cost $7.95 each, but I might be getting them mixed up with something else. Here is a link to Intercot's list of pressed penny locations.

http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/coins/default.asp

:dory:

squijee
08-29-2007, 09:02 AM
i really want to do this...is there a list somewhere that tells what characters are where in wdw:mickey:

DisneyAndRedSox
08-29-2007, 01:52 PM
i really want to do this...is there a list somewhere that tells what characters are where in wdw:mickey:

Allears.net has a detailed list

Mousefever
08-29-2007, 06:44 PM

Yes, directly above your post I gave everyone interested a link from intercot. Click on the link, click on one of the parks, and there is a detailed list of pressed pennies and where they are located!

:dory:

Altair
08-29-2007, 08:23 PM
someone said to use new pennies... is a penny a penny? meaning we are from canada... will a canadian penny work in the machines or does it have to be american pennies? lol does this make sense??

Pre-1982 US cents are made mostly of copper. Starting in mid-1982 cents were made with a zinc core coated with copper.

Copper presses much better than zinc. When pressed, the zinc pushes through the copper coating and shows as green, which later may turn to black.

All pressed penny sites recommend you press only copper pre-1982 pennies.

Canadian cents will work in the machines.

You can buy uncirculated rolls of pre-1982 copper cents at coin stores for a small premium. They will be shiney.
:twocents:

carley
08-30-2007, 07:53 PM
:)hey thanks for the info i really appreciate it alot

koyote19
08-30-2007, 10:10 PM
pennycollector.com lists all the machines in the whole country.

pixiesmimi
09-01-2007, 04:09 PM
I really got into this on our trip this week after seeing my DGS get pennies in June. I bought a book but should have bought two. I filled one up and needed another one on the last day in DTD. I figured I would just get one there and never saw one and forgot about it until we were on our way home. I guess I will order another one on line. I will also pick things like that up when I see them from now on instead of waiting to do all my shopping at DTD because there were a few things that we couldn't find there or they were out of and were very disappointed. I spent over $30 just filling up one book so take lots of coins. I had taken $20 in quarters and kept running out and having to get change. This embarrassed me having to ask a cashier for change because having been a retailer myself, I know they don't like to give out all of their change like this but they all seemed glad to do it. I finally found a change machine by the penny machine in Splash Mountain Plaza and also used the change machine in the laundry in our resort. A heads up, this can be addictive and expensive. :) I printed off the guide suggested above before we went and referred to it every night for whichever park we were going to the next day. Some you really have to look for and a lot of the series ones are in the resorts so you may have to go out of your way to get these. I made a list to take with me the last day in MK and lost it somewhere so just had to rely on my memory for the rest of the day. I did miss a couple but there is always next trip! :) I also learned to face the penny with the head to the right in the machine. It comes out better that way. Most machines are automatic but some are hand cranked. Look by most of the entrances of shops but some are inside by an interior door or wall. Have fun with it. We got kind of obsessed with it towards the end trying to make sure we found them all.:mickey: By the way, China and Japan in Epcot neither have a machine :confused: but their coins are in a machine in the gift shop in the International Gateway. We had to ask someone about this and he told us that was where they were located but didn't know why. Have fun!

squijee
09-25-2007, 01:11 PM
I know pre 1982 pennies are better for pressing, but how do i clean up the ones that I have collected or how can I get shiny ones:confused:

pixiesmimi
09-26-2007, 09:19 AM
You can use Brasso or a copper cleaner to clean up the pennies. Just dip them in and rinse off. I used new shiny pennies (current) and they worked fine. I just cleaned out my stash and rolled the new shiny ones and took with me. I did leave them in my room one day and had to get change from a CM and got a lot of old ones. I don't know if they worked any better or worse. I didn't try the experiment of doing an old one and a new one to see which was better. Take plenty of quarters. I went through $31 of quarters and pennies and had to keep getting change. This embarrassed me because I hated to ask the CMs for their quarters. But they were glad to do it. There is a change machine beside the one in Splash Mtn. I also used the change machine in the laundry at our resort.

luvkatiebug
09-26-2007, 11:11 AM
My daughter loved these, and I feel like it saved us some money b/c she would want a toy in every shop, instead she and I would look for the penny machines.

Rolls of quarters fit nicely in those Mini M&M plastic containers. I brought a couple of those, and they wouldn't fall apart in my backpack.

Also, someone mentioned that the pressed quarters don't fit, but my book (from 2004) had a place for pressed quarters also.

Enjoy