PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Vs. School

Minnie Magic
08-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Just wondering if anyone has pulled their school aged kids out of school for a week to go on vacation??? We booked our trip back in Apr.2007 and after 3years planning, this is the only time my hubby's got vacation time....should say he couldn't take any vacation time for 3years due to his job....just curious if any problems arose....:mickey:

Mommy2boys
08-23-2007, 11:25 PM
We ae pulling our sone but he is just in preschool

kakn7294
08-23-2007, 11:26 PM
:welcome: to Intercot! You've asked about a subject that often opens quite a can of worms! However, I will tell you that I took my kids out of school 2 years in a row to go to WDW. They are decent students and did just fine. My reasons were the same as yours - no vacation time when they were off school. If that's the only time he gets, by all means pull them from school and go! The school gave us a bit of a hassle but nothing huge and they got over it.

faline
08-24-2007, 05:52 AM
Welcome to Intercot! :mickey:

We did it when our daughter was growing up. I believe it is a personal decision to be made by the family of the child(ren) in question.

You might want to read this recent discussion (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=112815)on the same topic.

comicguy
08-24-2007, 06:30 AM
As a high school teacher, I have taken my own son out of school for a week long trip to WDW three years in a row. I refuse to go on school vacations, way to busy. At my new school that I start at in Sept, I can not take time off for vacations during the school year, so I am left with August, from now on.

My son is currently going into 8th grade and none of his teachers, except his 3rd grade teacher, every had anything to say but have a good time:mickey: Most sent minimum work, a few work sheets, some reading and writing and that was it.

mouseketeer mom
08-24-2007, 07:22 AM
We pull them out every year for a little over a week. I offer good notice and I put it in writing. I've always received support from the teachers., except last year, when my son was in first grade, his teacher sent sooooo much work it was insane. We did lots on the plane and lots was left undone. She seemed angry we were going and the work was waaaaay over the top. My girls just got some reading and journaling, normal, expected stuff. My sons first grade teacher sent EVERY paper that would've passed by his desk if he were there. Desk work, homework, you name it.
That was the first time it happened to us like that.
I will continue to pull my kids a week each year.
Its valuable valuable time for us.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-24-2007, 11:03 AM
We have pulled our sons out each year for a week. They are going into 5th and 3nd this year. My DD is going into Pre K.

We have never had too much of a problem with the school or teachers. Our oldest's teacher last year was fine before we left and then seemed to have an attitude about it once we got back. Even though our son did all of the work she sent and made up any other work he had when we came home. She got over it after a week or two, though.

We always give them notice, we ask for any work they need to do and make sure we tell them that we will make sure that all missed work is made up when we get back in a timely manner. I emailed all the teachers last week through the school's website to let them know about our vacation next month. They have all emailed me back and seem fine with it.

This is a topic that I always say is based on what it right for your kids and family. Our sons are good students with little to no absences the rest of the school year. They know what it expected of them before and after the trip.

All that being said..lol...This is most likely the last year we will be taking them out during the school year for that long, if at all because our oldest will be in 6th grade (Jr High) next year. We feel that taking him out after grade school would be too hard on him in regards to missed work, etc. We will decide after this vacation.

My husband is a 911 Dispatcher for our PD/FD and can not take a week or more off in the summer either. So, we are thinking that next year we might go a few days before a major holiday and cut the trip shorter. Lots of decisions when school aged kids are involved.

Long story short, I say take them out if it works for you and your family.:mickey:

BigRedDad
08-24-2007, 11:18 AM
I guess people will get heated on this topic from the debates on other posts. I will not hesitate to take my child out of school for vacation. The traditions in this country have moved so far away from family it is ridiculous. My DW is a teacher. It can be hard for her to take off. Most schools will have no issue with it as long as they know in advance (especially the teacher).

I was taken out of school every year for about 10-12 years. I was the idiot in school, so I guess my teachers prayed for it. I have a college degree, working on my MBA, and an established professional. Take that as an example if people say your are taking away from your child's education.

k_reile
08-24-2007, 11:39 AM
my parents always took my brother and I out of school when we went to disney...the first time I was in 5th grade and my brother was in 1st; the 2nd time I was a freshman and my brother was in 5th and the 3rd time I was a senior (we had gone down with the hs band but stayed longer) and my brother was in 8th grade. But we were good students and did not have a problem catching up our school work. We also went in early Jan--just right after school is back from winter break so there is not a whole lot going on in school then since school was just getting back in the swing of things.

mousetrapper
08-24-2007, 01:07 PM
We always took our kids out of school for our biennial (? I think that means every other year) trips to WDW. We went in Sept, Oct or early Nov because we wanted to avoid crowds and hit value season.

That worked ok until our older DD went into high school. Although her teachers were supportive, the workload she faced when she returned really wiped her out. It was just too much work to miss and then have to make up. She's a smart kid, but she never really caught up, it left a pall on her entire year and she was way stressed out about it while we're were away.

So it's not worth it to us to put her through that again. Our younger DD is in eighth grade now, so she'll be facing that pressure soon too. It's just so much harder when they get older because the work is tougher and so much more rides on their grades, GPA, etc.

Christine
08-24-2007, 01:14 PM
It's up to you and it's up to the school.

I have no problem pulling my DD out of school...she is a good student and it doesn't disrupt her perfoamance at all.

However, her school is the only one in the county rated "exemplary" and in order to keep this status (thus funding) they must have a certain high percentage of attendance. Therefore, they place heavy premiums on the child if you pull them out for vacation.

Last year, we pulled DD out for a week in October for our WDW trip. When we got home, we had a letter from the school board that said we could face truancy court.

So, I can't pull DD out anymore :( .

If your school is not so picky, and your child's performance/ routine would not be affected, then I would go for it!

Mickey91
08-25-2007, 01:12 AM
We home school right now. But, next year, DS will be entering the High School. We hope we will be able to find vacation time that won't hurt his attendance too bad. But with DH's schedule, it is impossible to get vaction during school vacations. So, we will more than likely be pulling DS for at least a few days next year. We can't miss our annual trip to Disney!!! He is an excellent student and I don't see a problem except for school officials not liking it.

I say go for it!:mickey:

teambricker04
08-25-2007, 07:47 AM
This is a debate in my own household. Our children are little (2.5 and three months) but my husband and I have already started the discussion as we LOVE to go to WDW multiple times in a year.

My husband thinks it is okay to pull a child out of school and I think it is not. He was pulled out of school for day trips to Disney (he is from FL) and I was NEVER pulled out... so this may explain our points on the matter.

Also, he is a rocket scientist working on his MBA with a 4.0 and I just was an okay student who has a BA. With that being said... maybe it is an individual decision based on your child. I probably would have been hurt if I was taken out and he, not so much.

With how much vacation our school district gives, what is the point of waiting for a week with no days of vaca? I never had a week of fall break when I was growing up. Plus, the kids get out sooo much earlier because they start soooo much earlier.

We are lucky as we can afford to go when we want... I still don't think I would pull my children out, but I probably could be pursueded :mickey:

tomorrowschild
08-25-2007, 01:06 PM
When my brother and I were in school my parents pulled us out most every year (for a week or so). We never encoutered problems with the teachers. We were always given homework and would do it on the plane or at nights in the room. Once we hit high school we started going at breaks. In high school it is much harder to just leave (lots of different teachers, etc.)
Speaking as a teacher (first grade) I have no problems with my students going on a trip during the year. I always send some form of homework - usually reading, and I always have my students write a journal of their days.
So go ahead and pull them- but talk to the teacher a few weeks ahead so she/he has time to get work ready for your child.

E-OR
08-25-2007, 01:11 PM
Did not even read what other people posted because I feel that being a parent is making choices for your kids that other people may not always agree with...but we are the parents. I'm sure there are a lot of teachers that will dissagree but I also know teachers that feel that a child can learn a lot while on a family vacation that they would never learn in school. My husband and I know that school is very important and we are not in the habit of taking our kids out of school, but we have on occasion, and are going to be taking our oldest son out for a week in September. (first time since grade schol). Both of our boys do well in school. It is the only time our oldest son, college age, can go with us and we really want to have a week with our enitre family. Sometimes ones job will dictate when you can go on vacation and you have to do what you have to do. Just work with them when you get back to get them caught up. My husband always says that their young and a month, year, or lifetime from now is this really going to make that big of difference? Don't stress and enjoy your vacation!!

bkfree
08-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Our school is very supportive of family vacations. With prior notice they are excused absences, which we get 10 of a year.
We always pull ours for for vacation.We try to go on vacation during off seasons, never when schools are on break. The teachers have not given mine extra work or homework either. Each of mine missed 9 days last school year, all for out of town trips, all excused because I wrote a letter 2 weeks to 1 week later and then a reminder about 2 days before the absence.
The 9 days were-5 for WDW, 2 for out of state wedding and 1 for family reunion in another state and 1 for their Great Grandmother's funeral, also out of state.
While we hold very dear education, are both college grads and I am a substitute teacher, I believe that nothing is more important or educational than family time and family trips. And nothing that would be missed in school for that short time that cannot be made up.
Ours is also a very highly regarded school but tends to put the children's best interest over any school "public image" issue. I don't think mine would be going to one that treated family time with so much disdain. It wouldn't jive with how we live and what we try and teach our kids that is important.
My best childhood memories are our many family vacations, many that required missing school. I think that is one reason I believe the way I do about it.

Tink#64
08-26-2007, 09:19 PM
We have taken DS's (now 10 & 11) out of school in May for every trip. We don't go until they have about 2 weeks of school left, after all testing is over. I've always given the teachers written notice a few weeks in advance. Since it's so close to the end, the teachers have never had boys do anything except maybe bring in something from WDW & tell the class something about their trip. We usually make it something from Epcot with an educational twist to it!They are pretty much doing busy work & some cleaning & packing by the time mine miss a week, so I don't feel like it's hurting anyone, and the family time without the huge crowds is priceless.

We can't go in May next year - like everyone else, because of vacation issues, so we're planning an October trip. I would rather take DS's out at the end of the year instead of when they are just getting back into the groove of school, but we are hoping to schedule for a week that they will be having conferences & DS's will only miss 2 1/2 days, & hopefully won't have too much work to make up. I think family time is as important as schoolwork & homework. In my opinion,a few days of missed school isn't going to make or break their school year.

bshaw96
08-26-2007, 09:35 PM
We will be doing it on our next trip, about 7 days out all together. Our dd is in 4th, and ds is in 1st. I don't mean to sound rude, but I'm not really concerned with what the school thinks. I'm by no means a rebel, lol. But our kids will only be young for a very short time. All too soon family vacations will be a thing of the past. We are their parents, and it is our decision. It works best for us to go during school time, and our kids do just fine in school. That being said, of course I intend to give proper notice and complete any required homework, as I know teachers have their jobs to do and a schedule to keep and I respect that. Just give plenty of notice and have a great time!!!!!!!

playdead88
08-27-2007, 06:00 AM
we pull our kids out every year we go - they are only kids once - i feel like one day pulling them out of school won't be the issue the issue will be that they aren't kids anymore :(

the teachers are very understanding and provide us with the work that will be missed a week prior to leaving and it always gets done and turned in on time - plus the crowds seem to be a bit lighter :mickey:

RaRaRoundTheWorld
08-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Personally, I think it depends upon how our child is doing in school. We're very involved parents and don't believe that we can completely trust our child's education to the school system.

We believe we are our child's first teachers and so, we can determine if our child needs to stay and learn the current subject matter or can be pulled out and make up the work with our assistance. It's our child and our decision no matter if the school or teacher have an issue.

boys_school_tn
08-27-2007, 12:13 PM
We pulled the kids out for a few days when they were in 3rd and 6th grade. Only one teacher gave us a hard time. Now, we homeschool, and relish :cloud9: going once school starts.

wedway fan
08-27-2007, 05:01 PM
we'll be pulling the kids out in april 08- 2nd and 1st grade. i'll continue to take them out until the work load gets unbearable.

as another poster said, you can somewhat justify the missed education by finding educational opportunities in everything you do. we'll be doing geography (we're driving down), finances and budgeting (they've got disney dollars), world cultures (epcot), physics (just about any ride), plus some journaling if i can get them to do it. i figure that's as much if not more than they'll get in school for a week.

MickeyandTink
08-29-2007, 12:25 PM
We will be doing it on our next trip, about 7 days out all together. Our dd is in 4th, and ds is in 1st. I don't mean to sound rude, but I'm not really concerned with what the school thinks. I'm by no means a rebel, lol. But our kids will only be young for a very short time. All too soon family vacations will be a thing of the past. We are their parents, and it is our decision. It works best for us to go during school time, and our kids do just fine in school. That being said, of course I intend to give proper notice and complete any required homework, as I know teachers have their jobs to do and a schedule to keep and I respect that. Just give plenty of notice and have a great time!!!!!!!

:exactly:

We are working with DD's school (she's in 1st grade), but we would still be going even if they weren't cooperative. School is very important in our family (DW and I both have college degrees and I've got a doctorate), but it is not the be all, end all. Plus, we want this to be a fun AND educational trip, and at least for this trip going during the school year was the best time for all of us.

illini
08-29-2007, 03:05 PM
It's up to you and it's up to the school.

However, her school is the only one in the county rated "exemplary" and in order to keep this status (thus funding) they must have a certain high percentage of attendance. Therefore, they place heavy premiums on the child if you pull them out for vacation.

Last year, we pulled DD out for a week in October for our WDW trip. When we got home, we had a letter from the school board that said we could face truancy court.

So, I can't pull DD out anymore :( .

Yikes! My kids' school is exemplary as well (I'm in TX, too), but we don't get the truancy letter until they've missed 10 days. I got it one year because we'd had a Disney trip and then 2 long bouts of strep. I'm pulling them out again this fall, though.

I figure the parents know best. There's so much more to education than sitting in a classroom. I also reckon that there are times even in the best classrooms where the kids aren't learning, so it's kind of even steven in my book. (Yeah, I know that's not really logical but oh well!)

kaylamag
08-30-2007, 08:17 AM
We are going in january of 08 and i am extremly nervous about pulling my 10th grader out of school for 8 days. Our school district allows a 5 day educational trip, but we aren't coming back until the middle of the next week. I not too worried about my second grader. I don't know weather i should call the school now or wait until closer to the trip, any suggestions?

martinfamily5
08-30-2007, 11:48 AM
We have pulled our children out on every trip that we have taken. We always go in Oct. over fall break, so they miss the first 3 days of that week. However, while they are in elementary (DS is the only one left in elementary), they go 1 full day, and then 2 half days. So he will only miss 2 days really. We were a little worried about our oldest this year. She is a junior and has a very difficult academic load this year. She is ranked 35 in a class of 416. She said if she gets to go to Disney, she will handle it. Our school system has a family leave form and they ask that you not miss more then 5 days in a row, so our trip fits.

This is the first year that I have worked for our school system and we are going to Disney. I don't think that I can get paid for the time that I am gone, but it won't make a difference. We will still go.

Family time is more important to me then school time.

bkfree
08-30-2007, 11:44 PM
We are going in january of 08 and i am extremly nervous about pulling my 10th grader out of school for 8 days. Our school district allows a 5 day educational trip, but we aren't coming back until the middle of the next week. I not too worried about my second grader. I don't know weather i should call the school now or wait until closer to the trip, any suggestions?

Humm, While I have no qualms about pulling mine out while in grades K-8, it really changes once they hit high school. Our high school, grades 9-12, only allow 5 excused absences per year,even for out of state trips. The only exception would be a prolonged illness or some sort of trauma. No way would 8 days in Disney fly. I don't think I would try it. We could fly out on a Friday afternoon and come back on the next Sunday, they miss 5 days of school but get 8 days in Disney, which is plenty.
I would maker sure the repercussions or punishment for your son is worth the extended time before locking it in.
When my sister and her family had an extended trip during the school year, her two oldest that were in high school could not miss that many days so they flew down a few days later, had just as good a time and no trouble with the school.:confused:

MNNHFLTX
08-31-2007, 09:50 AM
Whether parents should take their school-age children out of school for a WDW trip is typically a personal decision based on their child's circumstances. That said, though, if I were you I would contact your school's administration and clarify their attendance policy. Many school districts do have restrictions on excused/unexcused absences and you wouldn't want to find out about them after-the-fact.

My son has always gone to schools that have pretty strict policies and for that reason I have never felt comfortable pulling him out for more than 1-2 days. I guess I was always worried that something else might come up down the road that would put his attendance in jeapardy.

peggyclausen
03-23-2016, 03:19 AM
I would certainly agree with RaRaRoundTheWorld, Parents are the first teacher for kids, They easily understand and determines problems and issues, kid is facing through. I would suggest you not to miss your trip to Disney, You will surely feel awesome being there. Last Year I And my sister family went for a Disney tour and had lots of fun over there. My sister was also worried about Her 4 year old, Long Island Day Care going daughter, regarding missing up the subjects. But After talking to teachers of her preschool, she got relaxed and got ready for a trip.

Imalismom
03-23-2016, 06:52 AM
I am a high school teacher. I pulled my kids out prior to middle year of junior high. Even that year after I pulled them out, I had to have a doctors note for any other absences.

Once they reach 8th grade, my personal opinion is DO NOT DO IT. They miss too much to really ever catch up.

As a high school teacher, I cringe whenever a kid misses 1 day.... missing 5 days is usually a game changer in their grades for the rest of the semester.

mydisneygirls
03-23-2016, 11:55 AM
I took my kids out of school for a week every year when they were younger. I would have no problem now that they're in high school but they play sports and that's the only reason we don't go during school now. I look at it like this --- the last time I looked on their birth certificate I'm listed as their mother not the school, so I guess I have the right to do what I want, when I want with my children. I know this reply is long but wanted to share a true letter from a parent to the school after his kids missed school.

A Pennsylvania father penned a scathing note to a school principal after she said a trip he took with his 9-year-old twins to see the Boston Marathon was "recorded as unexcused."
Mike Rossi shared the note from school principal Rochelle Marbury on his Facebook page.

"Dear Mr. and Mrs. Rossi," the letter read. "I understand your family recently took a family vacation. I want you to be aware that the Abington School District does not recognize family trips as an excused absence, regardless of the activities involved in the trip." The school district is not in the position of overseeing family vacations or evaluating the educational nature of a family trip. The dates that your children were absent were recorded as unexcused. An accumulation of unexcused absences can result in a referral to our attendance officer and a subsequent notice of a violation of the compulsory school attendance law,” it added.

Mr Rossi’s searing response to the letter has been shared by thousands of parents online. Here it is in full:

Dear Madam Principal,
While I appreciate your concern for our children’s education, I can promise you they learned as much in the five days we were in Boston as they would in an entire year in school.
Our children had a once-in-a-lifetime experience, one that can’t be duplicated in a classroom or read in a book.
In the 3 days of school they missed (which consisted of standardized testing that they could take any time) they learned about dedication, commitment, love, perseverance, overcoming adversity, civic pride, patriotism, American history culinary arts and physical education.
They watched their father overcome, injury, bad weather, the death of a loved one and many other obstacles to achieve an important personal goal.
They also experienced first-hand the love and support of thousands of others cheering on people with a common goal.
At the marathon, they watched blind runners, runners with prosthetic limbs and debilitating diseases and people running to raise money for great causes run in the most prestigious and historic marathon in the world.
They also paid tribute to the victims of a senseless act of terrorism and learned that no matter what evil may occur, terrorists cannot deter the American spirit.
These are things they won’t ever truly learn in the classroom.
In addition our children walked the Freedom Trail, visited the site of the Boston Tea Party, the Boston Massacre and the graves of several signers of the Declaration of Independence.
These are things they WILL learn in school a year or more from now. So in actuality our children are ahead of the game.
They also visited an aquarium, sampled great cuisine and spent many hours of physical activity walking and swimming.
We appreciate the efforts of the wonderful teachers and staff and cherish the education they are receiving at Rydal Elementary School. We truly love our school.
But I wouldn’t hesitate to pull them out of school again for an experience like the one they had this past week.
Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Michael Rossi
Father

bostonchic13
03-29-2016, 12:44 PM
I have 2ds(14&8)and we plan our vacation for august before school starts,usually after labor day in new england...if you take young kids then would be ok but my older one would have to makeup school work!would love to go winter break in February!?anyone have info on weather,park hours etc...

ThanxForNoticin
03-29-2016, 01:05 PM
As is evident from this post, this is a long-running, controversial topic with differing opinions. I know some parents like to dig their heals in on it and take the kids out no matter what the school says. I know some superintendents who like to dig their heals in and say absolutely no to kids missing school for a family trip. Unfortunately, there are times the school district has the law on their side, no matter how many valid reasons parents can give to pull the kids - and sadly, the kids end up being the ones stuck in the middle of the mess.

When our kids were younger, we absolutely took them out of school for up to 5 days for family time - many of those times were trips to Disney. As long as our boys did well in school (which they did), there was no reason they couldn't miss a few days from school. Many times we took books with us so they could work on the plane or on a rainy day. And I would contend - maybe especially now that they are older - that those trips were extremely educational for them. By the time they were young teen-agers, I could've dropped them off at the airport with their bag and a confirmation number, and they understood how to check bags, go through security, and fly - VERY valuable. When they got to college, there were times they didn't get to every class (they did college sports) and had to work on their own to catch up with a subject - sometimes on a bus returning from a game. They were already familiar with the concept.

So with all due respect to the teachers, but I never bought into the concern that missing a couple days of class could cause irreparable harm to a kid's grade for an entire marking period - if the kids knew what they had to do on their own. I have a very detailed and strenuous job, and I can miss a week here and there and get back on track when I return!! Most kids will do that, too.

Maybe the underlying issue for us was that we absolutely love Disney, and we have millions of amazing Disney memories over the years. But one memory we have is that we did one trip in the heat of the summer - a trip that was too hot and too crowded, and our choice was to not return ever again in the summer months - which we haven't. We instead chose to go at less-crowded, off-peak times, and we enjoyed it so much more. But we did have the kids away from school by doing that.... Never more the 5 days for the trip, but we felt that was best for us and our kids at the time - and we never regretted having that family time.

IloveJack
03-30-2016, 12:14 AM
We homeschool, and our oldest is only in first grade, so it's no big deal to go whenever we decide. Part of the reason we homeschool is to keep our family together more, so I understand family vacations and the need for them. I taught high school for 8 years and was glad to see MOST kids go on a family vacation during the school year. Kids with and A/B average were always good about getting their work ahead of time and catching up (fairly) easily. However, I don't think a child with a C average or below needs to miss a week's worth of classes. Too often, their grade can't take that hard of a hit.
So, echoing everyone else, it really depends on the child/student. But the mom in me says you'll never get this time back.

princessgirls
03-30-2016, 02:17 PM
I have taken my girls out in the past for a few trips.... trying to pick times like for example over Thanksgiving week where there was a very short school week, and not too many new concepts would be introduced...that being said, I'm in the high school years now, and there is little or NO wiggle room to miss a few days, and if I did, it could only be for 2 days. The work load in High School would be too much to miss a week other than dire illness or death in the family for. No joke....It makes me sad.
Julie

BriarRose0708
03-30-2016, 03:59 PM
We pulled them out for a week last October. They were in grades 2 and 3 at the time and it wasn't a problem. Vacations aren't excused absences, but our kids are almost never sick and they have excellent grades so we didn't care. Their teachers were very supportive as well, they gave them worksheets to do on the plane and some light reading and that was it. This year we would have pulled them from school again, but thanks to state testing pushing their spring break way back to the end of April we feel good that crowds are going to be fairly light at that time. Unfortunately with our oldest going into 6th grade next year and middle school being more strict we might not have the advantage again.

BrerGnat
03-30-2016, 06:06 PM
I would totally take my kids out of school if they didn't have to make up the missed work. We don't really care what letter grades they get at this point (Elementary) because they both have identified learning challenges that we are working through (autism related). However, they do not get a pass on all the work they would miss out on, and they have to complete it regardless. Personally, *I* don't want the stress that goes along with making them either work while on vacation OR doing it all at once after we come back, on top of their regular homework load. No thank you. We don't pull them out anymore, although we did a couple years ago. Their school here is much more academically rigorous and the make up work would be too much of a burden.

MNNHFLTX
04-05-2016, 06:30 PM
Just wanted to point out for anyone that hasn't noticed--the original post was from almost nine years ago. The OP's kids may be grown up and in college at this point!

Let the debate continue! :)