PDA

View Full Version : Cabins and Grocery Shopping

teambricker04
08-23-2007, 09:39 PM
We are staying in a cabin for our next trip in Nov. I have tented with family members from FL (So they got everything all together) but this time we are flying in and renting a car. How are the kitchens in the cabins? Will it be worth a trip to the grocery for cooking out, or should we just do breakfast foods?

Also... where is the nearest, not outragously expensive grocery store near by. I don't want to go to the Publix down the road from DTD. They cater to the people that need food and can't drive! (ie 20 diapers for 30 bucks.)

Speedy1998
08-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Check out Garden Grocer, they deliver. If you go to their website you can see exactly what their prices are.

The pictures that I have seen of the cabin show a full size kitchen. My wife talked me out of staying in one though, by saying "will you really be willing to leave the park to go back to the cabin and eat?"

MartyS
08-23-2007, 10:44 PM
The cabins are great. We mainly just got snack stuff, and some breakfast stuff. There's a Super WalMart about 15 mins. away towards Kissimmee. You know what they have & the prices. Trail's End Buffeteria down by Pioneer Hall has a great ( and reasonably priced ) breakfast buffet that's right by the boat dock to MK. Google Jeff Spencer Fort Wilderness FAQ's for more info than you could poss. want, including what utensils are in the kitchen.

faline
08-24-2007, 05:01 AM
There are full kitchens in the cabins. We generally did not use the full capability as we ate most of our meals out.

teambricker04
08-24-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks for all the info!

A grocery delivery.... good idea.

mom4disney
08-24-2007, 05:14 PM
We are a budget family. We love going to Disney, but find that we sometimes need to watch our dollars. One way we do that is to eat a lot of our meals in the cabin. We use the kitchen - a lot! We always have a nice breakfast each morning. We also have dinner at night at our cabin. This allows the children some down time, too. We eat on the deck at the picnic table. We save tons of money by watching our dinning dollars.
Mousekeeping will even load the dish washer for you.
I just see our cabin dinning experience as just another fun part of our vacation. My kids really do not care about resturants - so why should I waste our money on chicken tenders (that's all they want to eat when we go out)?
I guess it is really a family decision.

DestinationWDW
08-27-2007, 08:02 PM
If you want you can cook full meals in the cabin kitchens and there is a charcoal grill. We saw a new, huge Super Wal-mart off of I-4 on the way in on our trip earlier this month (don't remember exactly where :( ). Microwave, stove, oven, dishwasher, pots and pans....We made the kids pancakes for breakfast a couple mornings. It was way too hot our trip to even think about grilling, but in a little cooler weather, would have been nice. For a family needing to save, the kitchen would be very handy - we may be doing just that on future trips!

robyn221
08-30-2007, 10:35 AM
If you plan to use Garden Grocer (which has a very good reputation with the folks on this board), place your order early. Our trip is scheduled for the last weekend in September and I tried to place an order with GG, but got a message that there are no more delivery slots for the first three days we'll be there. If you're going around Thanksgiving (or any other high-volume time), you may want to get your order and delivery scheduled now for your arrival.

Robyn:mickey:

jennsky
10-08-2007, 08:27 PM
When we stayed in the cabins, we went to the Super Target down the road from the Super Walmart. Everything was priced similar to being at home. We actually went there a few times...kinda became our outing away from Disney. Mind you we were part of a Grand Gathering and had two cabins amongst the 11 of us, so we would always eat our breakfast at the cabin, the occasional lunch on our "lounging" days and one dinner. We totally utilized our kitchen...especially the coffee maker!

teambricker04
10-09-2007, 02:59 PM
I LOVE Super Target. It is generally where we shop. Where is the closest one? Celebration?

We'll probably end up doing that as I will also need some baby items.

Were there BBQ tools at the cabins??

The countdown is on!!! I can't wait.

CU Tiger
10-09-2007, 09:34 PM
When we stay in the cabins, we use the kitchen a lot. We stay a week and go into the parks every other day to give the kids some down time and to enjoy other things inside and outside of DW. There is a Winn Dixie just a few miles away that is easy to get to. Enjoy your stay! :yay: We think the cabins is the best kept secret at DW for both the experience and the value. :thumbsup::mickey: