View Full Version : Beach Club Babe's Sizzlin Summer Escape Preface

Beach Club Babe
08-23-2007, 06:08 PM
Cast Members:

Me (Heather)
DS (Matt)
DD#1 (Courtney)
DD#3 (Emily)

(DH, Ron and DD#2, Ashleigh were sitting this trip out, as did Courtney and Matt on the May trip)

Resort:

Yacht Club
Room 4078

Travel dates:

8/11/07 Driving Day
8/12/07 Check-in day
8/12/07-8/19/07 8 wonderful days to enjoy WDW
8/19/07 Check-out day
8/20/07 Arrival back in PA

Well once again our wonderful trip has come to an end and we have returned home safely! While we were away, our computer died and we had to get a new one. It just arrived this morning, so this is the first chance I've had to check in with everybody here at INTERCOT.

After much debating on whether or not I would attempt to drive straight through to WDW, it was decided that I would make the attempt to make the drive straight through. I knew that if I decided to stop overnight, I would probably regret it as we did the 1st time we made the drive in 2002. I could not figure out the "perfect" time to leave without hitting too much DC traffic or arriving at WDW too late for my tastes. It was decided we would build enough time in to take in account for traffic delays, and prolonged rest stops if neccessary.

We got very leisurely around 8:00 AM and took our time showering and throwing last minute items into the suitcases. I also checked INTERCOT one last time and then we had breakfast with my Grandmother. Courtney helped her make us some delicious pancakes and sausage! With our tummies full we departed about 11:10 AM.

About an hour and half or so into the drive, DS realized that somehow he had brought his CD player, but not his CD's. He had only one with him. Since I was not about to turn around to go get them, I tod him if he could at least make it through the drive down, I would see if my mother could pick up the CD's and overnight them to the Yacht Club. He agreed and so did my mother. After giving her instructions on where to send them, I realized that I must have forgotten to mention that we were staying at the YC this time. She replied, "If I had know that, I would have come along!"

Our drive was pretty much smooth sailing until we hit the DC area. I was prepared to find lots of congestion here, so it was no surprise when we encountered it. The bad news was that it lasted longer than I had anticipated ( almost all the way to Richmond, where we turned onto I295). The good news was it wasn't nearly as bad as Ron had encountered on his drive last year. Though we were moving slowly, at least we were moving! Unlike the Northbound traffic who were stopped completely! I was very happy I was not in that mess!

Our first stop for fuel came in Hopewell, VA. However, the bathrooms were questionable, so I pulled into a Wendy's for a bathroom break. Here, I also checked in with Ron, and since it was about 5:15 PM we dug into the sandwiches, that Courtney had prepared for us! Thanks Courtney, they were delicious! Our next stop for fuel came in Santee, SC, we always seem to stop here! Just a little while later we hit some thunderstorms, so I thought it might be a good idea to stop and try to get a little rest in. I was either not tired enough, or too excited, so after an hour of trying unsuccessfully to grab a quick nap we hit the road once again. I did find myself getting a tired once we crossed into Florida, so we stopped at the Welcome center, and dozed for a little while before starting out once again. We then stopped for gas in Palm Coast, I probably could have made it without this stop, but didn't want to chance it.

Despite the traffic and rest stops, we were still making excellent time! Too good in fact! I took one more break at a rest area off of I-4, but knew we would be arriving way to early. I did try to find a 24 hour Wal-Mart or grocery store to pick up the Advil we had forgotten, but had no luck in finding one!

Driving down a deserted I-4 seemed eerie, but was a better alternative to a jammed one! Soon we had arrived under those wonderful gates and all of our stresses seemed to melt away! We took a collective deep breath, we were at last home! I pulled into the Hess Station to get directions to a 24 hour store, but the directions she gave were not right and I found myself pulling into the parking lot at MGM Studios with other CM's arriving for work! We tried again using a different exit from the gas station, but this was no better as we were now heading toward the AKL! I turned around, but misread the signs for Epcot Resorts, and had no choice but to pull into the Magic Kingdom Parking Lot! I headed toward the Poly and turned back arriving way too early at the Yacht Club. I am usually very good with directions, though you wouldn't know it by the sound of this mis-adventure! At least we were all having a good chuckle about our early morning tour of WDW! The security guard was surprised to see me no doubt, but he got me my parking pass and were unloading our luggage and leaving it with bell services. I self-parked in hopes of killing a little more time before walking up to the front desk! It was now about 6:30 AM. I checked in and not surprisingly the room was not ready, despite the CM's attempt to find us a room. Instead, the Ale and Compass was serving a continental breakfast, so we grabbed some coffee, juice, fruit, bagels, and a cinnamon bun and waited the 20 minutes for Lobby Concierge to open!

I will be back soon with to begin day 1 of our glorious vacation!

Lizzie
08-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Looking forward to the rest of your reports.

Bethis26fan
08-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Glad you had fun laughing at your mistakes. Sometimes they make the best memories.

diznee_buzz
08-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Wow! So how long of a drive is it from PA to the YC (not including rest stops and being diverted to MGM, AKL, MK, Poly, etc.?)

Can't wait to read the rest of your reports. I remember reading your May reports - in fact, they were my "initiation" to Intercot boards!:mickey:

princessgirls
08-23-2007, 10:54 PM
Heather,

Great start to your trip!!

It's harder than people think sometimes driving around WDW. I don't pay that much attention when on the busses. We had a "You can't get there from here" moment back in March.

You made great time!!

Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

Julie:mickey:

iheartmickey
08-23-2007, 11:05 PM
That's quite an adventure! You did well on your drive though. :thumbsup: Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

Thank you for sharing.

faline
08-24-2007, 06:09 AM
I'm glad you arrived safely. I suspect, though, that you must have been quite tired! Can't wait to read more about your trip!

T-Belle
08-24-2007, 08:35 AM
So glad you arrived safe and sound. Can't wait to read more.

aprilisis
08-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks- I am looking forward to the rest of your reports!
How is the drive down? I have always wanted to drive down (from MA).

pdrlkr
08-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

offwego
08-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Looking forward to your report! as always. Like they way you turned the "tour" into an adventure instead of a problem.

KylesMom
08-24-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm glad to hear you arrived safe and sound. That is one long drive by yourself!

I can't wait to hear about the trip! :mickey:

Beach Club Babe
08-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Wow! So how long of a drive is it from PA to the YC (not including rest stops and being diverted to MGM, AKL, MK, Poly, etc.?)

Can't wait to read the rest of your reports. I remember reading your May reports - in fact, they were my "initiation" to Intercot boards!:mickey:

Without rest stops, it would have taken about 15 1/2 to 16 hours.

Beach Club Babe
08-24-2007, 10:58 AM

Thanks- I am looking forward to the rest of your reports!
How is the drive down? I have always wanted to drive down (from MA).

The drive down is a fairly easy one, it's pretty smooth and not a lot of turnoffs. I really didn't mind it. Not a lot to look at though! The drive home was harder!

January-2007
08-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the trip report!

gauvin4
08-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the report! I have been looking forward to them. Glad to see that you arrived safely.:mickey: You would never get me to make that drive.:nope: :noway:

dolphinmickey9170
08-24-2007, 04:35 PM
Glad to hear your trip down was safely traveled. We love the drive down. It actually gives us some family time together that we don't normally get. All cramped in the family mini van. Two laptops, two dvd players, two cd/mp3/ipod players. Two teenage DDs hardly say a single word to each other. :D Ben and I listen to our own music.

RedSoxFan
08-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Glad to hear you arrived safely. Look forward to your trip reports.:mickey:

vizsla
08-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Glad to hear that you arrived safe and sound. Looking forward to reading the rest of your reports.

ChipnDaleGal
08-26-2007, 08:16 AM
I am not a fan of road trips myself, but it sounds like you and the kids did pretty good. You just took the scenic route to the Yacht Club. :D Looking forward to reading more about your fun time. :mickey:

DisneyorBust
08-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Glad to read that you had a safe trip to WDW!:mickey:
I really liked your mini tour of the WDW property! I would have been laughing too!:D

DizNee143
08-31-2007, 11:51 AM
so far so good!! you guys really did get there early!! good driving time you had!!
i love reading your reports...it makes me feel like i was there with you guys!! im off to go read about the rest of the trip!!:mickey:

disneymother
08-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Sounds like an adventure already! Thanks for the report so far!

realtreebar
09-08-2007, 12:49 AM
thanks for the report ! "gotta love :mickey: "

DizneyFreak2002
09-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks for sharing your report.

BelleCiavo
09-30-2007, 08:25 AM
That is so funny, we always stop in Santee and Palm Coast for gas too. Off to read more.

Karen

AbeeNormal
09-30-2007, 01:43 PM
Sounds like other than the scenic route you are off to great start:thumbsup:

I can't wait to here more and I think you are very brave for taking the trip by yourself with your kids, but with your great attitude there are no doubts you will be just fine and a fantastic time awaits.... :cloud9: