PDA

View Full Version : Hobo question

alphamommy
08-23-2007, 03:31 PM
This is a bizzare thing to post, but I have a question about something my dad used to talk about.

When he was 14 (in 1928), my dad hopped on a freight train at a water stop in Northern Alabama, and "hoboed" to California. He was gone for 2.5 years before he went back home by freight train. Very interesting life story!

He used to talk about something that he called "the Transit Bureau", which was some sort of organization (government run?) for transient workers to look for work/seek aid. I don't think this is the real name of the group, but Dad's been gone since 2002 and I never bothered to get more details on exactly what it was called. I don't even have a good feel for when he went to one of these places - he used freight trains to get around the U.S. for several years through the Depression.

Does anyone know anything about this sort of stuff? I've poked around using google without luck, but I'm not even sure what to search for.

Thanks,
Tammy

offwego
08-23-2007, 03:50 PM
With a little googleing I found some stuff to start..

It appears to have been a part of the "new deal" programs from FDR and later was changed from the Transient Bureau to Work progress. However it appears that these were often state run (but I would guess federally funded) so you may need to search with the states you want to look at..also much of what I found seemed to focus often on either construction or farm workers...good luck!

MMouse6937
08-23-2007, 04:31 PM
We have a program similar in NM. They have transients or whatever work day jobs such as construction or road work and they are paid in cash for their services. I know that's not exactly what you are talking about, but I think it's a nice touch that they still offer people a way to make an honest bit of money. Makes people feel productive.

alphamommy
08-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the info!

My dad always said that the difference between a hobo and a bum is that a bum just wants a hand-out, but a hobo wants pay for an honest day's work.

Tammy

Ian
08-23-2007, 05:07 PM
I remember my Grandfather talking about this a little bit ... he thought FDR walked on water and he specifically mentioned the Transient Bureau more than once.

The above posts have it pretty much spot on. It was a New Deal program that offered mostly public works type of employment to transients.

A lot of dams, waterways, bridges, etc. in the U.S. were built with transient labor.

crazypoohbear
08-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Too bad there aren't more "hobos' around to interview. this sounds very interesting.
My mom is in a nursing home (with dementia)and everytime she hears the train come by she said she wants to hop on it and go around the world!
She too was born in the depression and still talks about riding the rails. I dont think she ever did it but it sure sounds like it was a dream of hers.:)

PirateLover
08-23-2007, 11:47 PM
I remember my Grandfather talking about this a little bit ... he thought FDR walked on water
I have nothing more to add about the Transient Bureau but this made me laugh out loud. I have one remaining grandfather and he is in love with FDR and it is really the only reason he votes Democrat to this day. I remember in high school, i had to do a project asking my grandparents about who their favorite and least favorite presidents were and why. FDR was his favorite. Why? Because he saved thier skins. My grandpop was 18 and went off to work in a CC Camp so he could send money back to his family. Otherwise he would've been stealing coal and vegetables from the train still. Now he was making an honest living. He also said it was good preparation for WWII because you got used to living in bunks and stuff. His least fave president? Hoover. Why? "He was a bum." And that's all I could get out of him, lol. Typical south philly "addytude"

Sorry to hijack your thread, just brought up a bunch of memories I wanted to share. I hope you are able to find out more information about your dad!

Scar
08-24-2007, 09:18 AM
This reminds me of a scene from “All In the Family” where Archie and Maude are arguing over FDR.

Edith steps in and says: “Archie’s whole family voted for FDR!”

Archie replies: “That was for two terms, we didn’t know he was gonna hold on to the job like the Pope!”

:funny:

alphamommy
08-24-2007, 10:39 AM
With regard to FDR, both my parents were life-long Democrats because of him.

I wish my folks were still around, because they had so many stories that I know by heart, but I keep finding out that there are little details that my sister and I can't quite remember. She always talked about recording him, but she never did. My advice: cherish the stories your elders tell you over and over. One day they'll be gone, and you'll wish you could remember the stories!

Tammy

crazypoohbear
08-24-2007, 11:10 AM
With regard to FDR, both my parents were life-long Democrats because of him.

I wish my folks were still around, because they had so many stories that I know by heart, but I keep finding out that there are little details that my sister and I can't quite remember. She always talked about recording him, but she never did. My advice: cherish the stories your elders tell you over and over. One day they'll be gone, and you'll wish you could remember the stories!Tammy

AMEN TO THAT!

sportsguy2315
08-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Speaking of Hobos, I was googling hobos and found the Hobo Code. It follows:

As inscribed in the Annual Convention Congress of the Hoboes of America held on August 8, 1894 at the Hotel Alden, 917 Market St., Chicago Illinois;

1.-Decide your own life, don't let another person run or rule you.

2.-When in town, always respect the local law and officials, and try to be a gentleman at all times.

3.-Don't take advantage of someone who is in a vulnerable situation, locals or other hobos.

4.-Always try to find work, even if temporary, and always seek out jobs nobody wants. By doing so you not only help a business along, but insure employment should you return to that town again.

5.-When no employment is available, make your own work by using your added talents at crafts.

6.-Do not allow yourself to become a stupid drunk and set a bad example for locals treatment of other hobos.

7.-When jungling in town, respect handouts, do not wear them out, another hobo will be coming along who will need them as bad, if not worse than you.

8.-Always respect nature, do not leave garbage where you are jungling.

9.-If in a community jungle, always pitch in and help.

10.-Try to stay clean, and boil up wherever possible.

11.-When traveling, ride your train respectfully, take no personal chances, cause no problems with the operating crew or host railroad, act like an extra crew member.

12.-Do not cause problems in a train yard, Another hobo will be coming along who will need passage thru that yard.

13.-Do not allow other hobos to molest children, expose to authorities all molesters, they are the worst garbage to infest any society.

14.-Help all runaway children, and try to induce them to return home.

15.-Help your fellow hobos whenever and wherever needed, you may need their help someday.

16.-If present at a hobo court and you have testimony, give it, whether for or against the accused, your voice counts!

Sounds like they were decent people.

PirateLover
08-26-2007, 12:50 AM
My advice: cherish the stories your elders tell you over and over. One day they'll be gone, and you'll wish you could remember the stories!

Totally agree. My one grandfather was a great story teller (due in part to the fact that he lead a crazy life as well, lol). One day he woke up and couldn't speak in anything but a whisper. Turns out he had lymphoma and the tumor was pressing against his vocal chords. He died from the cancer. It was so tragically ironic that this man with a booming voice who was known for storytelling, died not being able to speak. The thing that makes the story even worse is that my mom bought a tape recorder and tapes several months before this happened, but never got around to doing anything.

With my grandfather who is still living, it's really weird. We've tried to tape him but he'll leave out important parts... like he won't say that he stole anything to survive because he doesn't want people to think he's advocating being a thief. So we have to secretly record him...:secret:

DisneyDog
08-28-2007, 10:23 AM
One of my grandfathers never spoke much, except to make a brief comment when others were talking. But, one night in a restaurant, he started telling this fascinating story, and boy did I wish I had a tape recorder because he never told the story again. Apparently when he was a boy he was in a speakeasy. They were playing illegal card games (and probably drinking, which was against the law no matter what your age), and the police raided the place and he was arrested! I think he said he was about 12 years old! I had never heard him so animated about telling a story before or after. Amazing.