PDA

View Full Version : Fridge Pixie Dust needed

Chrisx2
08-22-2007, 05:46 PM
OK, my fridge is no longer cold. The freezer is still working very well. I am waiting for a repair man to come. He wasn't going to come until tomorrow but I begged and pleaded and offered cookies. So, a little "easy and cheap fix" pixie dust is certainly needed.

Explain something to me. Why does this kind of stuff only happen when my DH is deployed? Yes, I realize he couldn't do anything that I haven't already done but still, it would be nice to have him here. Also, why did it wait until I went on a BIG shop at the grocery store? :( Sorry, feeling a little Eeyore today...

SteveL
08-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Hopefully it is something minor like a burned-out defroster bulb

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Oh bother! Sorry I couldn't resist.

Did you try cleaning the coils behind the vent thingy? Maybe thats all that is needed. I know mine wasn't working the best until I did that. Whatever it is, I hope it doesn't cost much or take long.
I love the "I offered cookies". That was funny!

The Bookseller
08-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Explain something to me. Why does this kind of stuff only happen when my DH is deployed? Yes, I realize he couldn't do anything that I haven't already done but still, it would be nice to have him here. Also, why did it wait until I went on a BIG shop at the grocery store? :( Sorry, feeling a little Eeyore today...

Blame Murphy, I always do.

If the freezer work well, it's a good sign. It means that the whole cooling system is working. Fixing any of these parts means a big bill.

Do you have ice in the walls of the freezer? This might be the problem. A cooler stay cold because of the cold air coming from the freezer part of the fridge. if the ice is blocking it, it can cause the cooler to fail. The best remedy in that case is to let the fridge unplugged. The ice will melt and he will be like new.

Chrisx2
08-22-2007, 09:22 PM
The defrost thermostat was dead. A $29.95 part but a $258 repair bill. I would be more irritated about the cost but the very nice repair man came to my house at 7:00 tonight to fix it. It took him almost 2 hours to take apart the freezer to get to the part. (I have a bottom freezer fridge.) So, I am out that money plus replacing the groceries. Oh bother.:eeyore:

mrsgaribaldi
08-23-2007, 08:00 AM
I'm sorry I'm late with my :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie: