PDA

View Full Version : Hotel NEAR Disney

Eyore's Wife
08-22-2007, 05:00 PM
When we first booked our November trip, we planned to drive halfway down, spend the night around Gainesville, and drive the rest of the way the next day. NOW, however, Hubby wants to leave earlier, drive ALL the way down and spend the night somewhere close to Disney. We don't want to add another night to our package because we don't want to pay for an additional day's ticket and dining per person. Does anyone know of a good hotel no more than 30 minutes to an hour outside of Disney World?

pwdebbie
08-22-2007, 05:24 PM
I'm subscribing to this thread because my dh has decided the same thing. We aren't driving straight through, but only spending one night on the road instead of two. I am not planning to reserve anything in advance, I'm just hoping to see signs advertising phenomenal rates outside the World. I'll be glad to hear any suggestions of best places to stay for just a single night.

Deb

GrumpyFan
08-22-2007, 06:16 PM
You might try priceline or some of the other discount hotel web sites to see what you can find. We've done this in years past and were able to find some pretty good deals for less than $50 a night. We stayed at one in Ocala, right off the Interstate, I think it was the Yankee Inn (owned by George Steinbrenner). It wasn't a 5-star, probably more like a 3 maybe. But, look around, you should be able to find something.

dephenn
08-22-2007, 06:47 PM
You could try the radisson. One of intercot's sponsors, just click on it on the home page. looks really nice. Plus free shuttle service if you don't feel like driving any longer.

buzznwoodysmom
08-22-2007, 07:31 PM
We've done this twice now. The first time we headed to the DTD area and priced the first hotel we drove up to. It was the Royal Plaza. DH and my brother got down and came back and said that we had two rooms for the night. It was more than we wanted to pay, but the DHs were tired from driving all day and just wanted to sleep. It was 177.00 for one night (or a few hours as we arrived at 2am and checked out at 9am). It was a very nice hotel, but way too pricey for just a bed to sleep in for one night.

The second time we did it we booked a room only at Pop Centry. We booked the room ahead of time and was able to get an overflow rate from Shades of Green (since DH is military) and only paid around $69.00 for the night, but it was good to know we had a room before arriving.

My only problem with staying off site is the fact that all of our luggage would have to stay in the car over night. I just don't find the tourist area outside WDW extremely safe and I was concerned about our SUV being broken into since anyone passing by could see through the windows that we had luggage. I just felt more comfortable doing this inside of WDW.

Just a side note to whoever didn't want to add a night to their package, you can add a night to your package without having to add day's to your park tickets. You would have to add that night to the dining plan, but then you could use the extra credits for a signature dinner or a dinner show one night. You can also just book a seperate room only reservation at the resort you are booked at and wouldn't have to change anything about your dining plan or your tickets.

Good luck and have a wonderful vacation!

wdw_bound
08-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Last year we stayed a night at the Country Inn and Suites at Calypso Bay. Nice room, great pool, mini golf and complimentary continental breakfast. Very close to WDW.

blondeinbrandon
08-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Your biggest problem is that (assuming you are coming down 75 and then across the turnpike) there is very little between Ocala and Disney.
You might be able to find something in Tavares or Okahumpka. Otherwise stop in Ocala before going over to Orlando.
Sorry! I live in Tampa so I haven't looked for hotels in that area.
Good luck and ENJOY!:mickey:

DDuck66
08-23-2007, 08:54 AM
Your biggest problem is that (assuming you are coming down 75 and then across the turnpike) there is very little between Ocala and Disney.
You might be able to find something in Tavares or Okahumpka. Otherwise stop in Ocala before going over to Orlando.
Sorry! I live in Tampa so I haven't looked for hotels in that area.
Good luck and ENJOY!:mickey:

I live in Tampa Bay as well, but we are staying off site at the Sheraton Safari Suites in Oct. It was about 124 per night and is less than a mile from DTD. It really depends on how close you want to get. Ocala is about an hour from DW and if you are coming that far, you might as well go ahead and drive into Orlando. Look at the Kissimee area. There is every imaginable motel from $50 per night to $200 per night. Thank goodness I only live about and hour and a half away now.

Eyore's Wife
08-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Thank you all for your replies. I was under the impression that if I tried to book a room only reservation for that additional night that I would not be allowed to do so. I will try this because that will certainly be the best option! If that proves impossible, I will probably hit the priceline.com website and see what I can get. Thanks again for your help!

12 weeks and counting!:mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-23-2007, 12:48 PM
Why not book a single room on property as a completely separate reservation from what you already have? Or if you don't want to do that, look for anything in the Lake Buena Vista area. They have some reasonably priced hotels right there at the Crossroads entrance. Days Inn, Comfort Inn are 2 of them.

EeyoresBestFriend
08-23-2007, 03:40 PM
In the past we have stayed at Comfort Inn Maingate on Irlo Bronson in Kissimmee. Not bad on the pricing, free deluxe continental breakie and beautiful location. Nice safe area - not like the Days Inn feels. I'd check the pricing, tho, on a value on-site - they may be quite competitive with each other. And it's about 10 minutes(if that) from the Disney Maingate.

Good luck!:mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
08-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I was under the impression that if I tried to book a room only reservation for that additional night that I would not be allowed to do so. I will try this because that will certainly be the best option! If that proves impossible, I will probably hit the priceline.com website and see what I can get. Thanks again for your help!

12 weeks and counting!:mickey:

I am pretty sure that if you make a totally new room only reservation for that one night that it will be allowed. I can't think of any reason disney wouldn't allow this. If I am wrong I am sure someone will be along to correct me. I hope you find something for your first night!!