PDA

View Full Version : What is with the "Holiday Premium"?!

DisneyAddict62
08-22-2007, 09:51 AM
I am not happy at all about this. :mad: Why in the world should we pay more for a character meal just because it is the holidays!!! We already have to pay higher room prices during that time, now food too! We are a party of 7, and we will end up paying an extra $25 per meal, and for what! The parks are packed anyway, and people have to eat! It isn't like the characters aren't there anyway!

I just may fire off an angry email to Disney, not that it will do any good, but it will make me feel better!

Sorry, had to vent!:blush:

SurferStitch
08-22-2007, 10:16 AM
It's all about demand. People want to eat in certain restaurants on a holiday, and will eat there whether or not it costs a few more bucks. Disney can charge it because people will pay it.

I see you are going over Thanksgiving. It's only Thanksgiving day that costs a little more, not the entire time you are there. We go during the Christmas holiday, but our meals cost us no more than they do in October. Now, Christmas day would be a different story, but I would expect that. If your party of 7 results in a total bill that's $25 more than it would have been on a non-holiday day means an extra $3.57 per person to eat at whatever restaurant you are referring to. Either you want to eat there or you don't.

Many restaurants do this in our area. It's normal for restaurants to up the price for special holiday meals.

I can understand your frustration if you're not accustomed to this practice, but it isn't just a WDW thing.

DizneyRox
08-22-2007, 10:39 AM
I always pay more for holiday meals,. Among others are Mother's Day brunch, Valentine's Day dinner, etc.

I'm not a fan of the Hallmark Holidays myself and this is one of the reasons. Unfortunately, it's just the way it is. The best protest is to not pay, you do have a choice of many CS places.

DisneyAddict62
08-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Well I do understand paying more for a special holiday meal, we own a restaurant. My frustration is being that it is NOT only Thanksgiving (which would be acceptable to charge more, serving items you don't normally serve just for one day runs expensive), but it runs from the 18th to the 24th, which is the entire time we are there. We have character breakfasts and dinners just about every day, to which the menu and characters are not going to be different in any way.

$25 per meal, at 2 meals per day, x4 days is $200 that I hadn't planned on spending!

jonah'smom
08-22-2007, 10:46 AM
I see you are going over Thanksgiving. It's only Thanksgiving day that costs a little more, not the entire time you are there.

According to info central here, I was under the impression that the premiums would be applied to all character meals during a certain period of time. For instance, Christmas premiums for Character meals are stated here on intercot as being in effect from Dec 15 or 16 through Jan 5 or 6, and not just Christmas day??? We're going the 15-21 of Dec, and will be on the dining plan, and I'm wondering how that will affect the TS credits for Character Meals. I'm not sure if it has been determined yet how they will affect it, as I asked that question on a previous thread. If anyone knows the answer to that yet, I'd love to know.

SurferStitch
08-22-2007, 12:50 PM
According to info central here, I was under the impression that the premiums would be applied to all character meals during a certain period of time. For instance, Christmas premiums for Character meals are stated here on intercot as being in effect from Dec 15 or 16 through Jan 5 or 6, and not just Christmas day??? We're going the 15-21 of Dec, and will be on the dining plan, and I'm wondering how that will affect the TS credits for Character Meals. I'm not sure if it has been determined yet how they will affect it, as I asked that question on a previous thread. If anyone knows the answer to that yet, I'd love to know.

:blush:Oh, I'm sorry. I totally missed that. Oops.

Okay, that seems rather excessive, but it's Disney, and people will pay it. Luckily we don't have any character meals after 12/15, so it won't impact us.

I can understand the OP's frustration.

LoriMistress
08-22-2007, 09:46 PM
I am not happy at all about this. :mad: Why in the world should we pay more for a character meal just because it is the holidays!!! We already have to pay higher room prices during that time, now food too! We are a party of 7, and we will end up paying an extra $25 per meal, and for what! The parks are packed anyway, and people have to eat! It isn't like the characters aren't there anyway!

I just may fire off an angry email to Disney, not that it will do any good, but it will make me feel better!

Sorry, had to vent!:blush:
This news was out at least three months ago. Sorry buddy, but unfortunately, during certain times of the weeks, they will charge more on CMs. They will be doing this for Easter Holidays as well starting in 2008.

LoriMistress
08-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Well I do understand paying more for a special holiday meal, we own a restaurant. My frustration is being that it is NOT only Thanksgiving (which would be acceptable to charge more, serving items you don't normally serve just for one day runs expensive), but it runs from the 18th to the 24th, which is the entire time we are there. We have character breakfasts and dinners just about every day, to which the menu and characters are not going to be different in any way.

$25 per meal, at 2 meals per day, x4 days is $200 that I hadn't planned on spending!

You are doing two CMs a day! OMG! I would get burned out big time. Though, it would be nice to have the characters always around you throughout your stay.

DisneyAddict62
08-22-2007, 11:08 PM
This news was out at least three months ago. Sorry buddy, but unfortunately, during certain times of the weeks, they will charge more on CMs. They will be doing this for Easter Holidays as well starting in 2008.

Well this is the first I have seen it. You'd think they would mention it when you make the ADR's, but they didn't. We always go during a holiday, and this is the first time we've had to pay extra, that's what makes it so aggravating. They just raised ticket prices, took away the gratuities for the dining plan, raising room rates for 2008, now the Holiday Premium, give us a break already! :stop::bang:

You are doing two CMs a day! OMG! I would get burned out big time. Though, it would be nice to have the characters always around you throughout your stay.

Hey, I have a 7 year old and 8 year old, they like the characters and it saves standing in line!:D

DDuck66
08-23-2007, 09:15 AM
At least I have the DDE to get a little discount on the premium price for when I go in December.