PDA

View Full Version : Dining w/o ADR's

Chris_Esq
08-22-2007, 09:31 AM
The family and I will be at W/L in 21 days. DW and I decided not to take advantage of the dining plan (for various reasons). My question is: What are the best dining choices (table service) for those without ADR's, both parks and resorts, for the four of us (6 & 11 y/o boys included). We are more concerned with an enjoyable dining experience (i.e. little or no wait, decent meal) than we are with atmosphere, location, characters, etc. We have 7 day Park Hoppers so shuffling around should not be a problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MsMin
08-22-2007, 09:48 AM
If you know of any place you want to dine I suggest making a couple ADR's. A character meal would be quite difficult to book on the day of - while it's not impossible you may have a late booking and wait a while for a table. Typically the resorts have more availability than the TS in the parks. A little more info on where you are staying and if you like a large breakfast etc may help. Calling reservations and finding what is available can be of help too -even day of if you don't want to commit right now.
In MK we love Cosmic Ray's b/c it has a nice variety and is a quick service meal. There is so much to choose from, I don't know where to start.

bleukarma
08-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Isn’t 21 days from now in the middle of free dining?

Without ADR’s it will be hard to get into a LOT of places, unfortunately. Especially for a table for four. But, it can be done with a little bit of faith. I would look at the less popular dining choices (i.e., not Coral Reef, Le Cellier, 50’s Prime Time) to try. Places like The Plaza at MK and Marrakesh at Epcot, Hollywood and Vine at MGM. These places might be booked too, or you could luck out with an ADR at Le Cellier (I did).

I would make a list of restaurants that you want to try and try to make ADR’s for them now. If you know what park you are going to be at on what day then you could also try calling Disney Dining and seeing what they have available around a particular time at a particular park.

With the dining plan it’s harder and harder to get into a table service restaurant now, especially if it happens to fall during the free dining period.

Good luck!!! :mickey:

Vinny
08-22-2007, 10:31 AM
I just finished booking our trip for Feb 2008. After doing that I wanted to set a couple of ADR's. When I called Disney dining (we are not on the DDP) for the ADR's they told me that I was very luck to call when I did because the ADR times for the restaurants I wanted were almost out (Ohana and Le Cellier for lunch). I could not believe it seeing it was still almost 170 days out. Flame Tree BBQ at AK is a good place to eat that does not have the usual burger and fries menu.

disneydrmr
08-22-2007, 10:38 AM
I'm with the others.... make reservations for any place that you know you want to eat... several times during my trip back in December I saw people get turned away because they did not have ADR's... Have a fun and safe trip!

Tick-Tock
08-22-2007, 12:05 PM
With free dining, if you don't want to make ADRs, I think you're going to find it difficult if not impossible to eat at table service restaurants in the parks. I would bet that all MK and Epcot restaurants will be full (they were when we were there in February a year or so ago, and that wasn't during free dining time). You may want to look at resort restaurants.

Madame Leona
08-22-2007, 12:38 PM
I prefer to only make one or two adrs for character dining but we wing it the rest of the time. I like counter service because it is quick and easy but there are a few things you can do to get into a table service restaurant. DTD is a great place to eat. We've eaten at Bongos and Rainforest Cafe with only a moderate wait time. When we go to the park, we check with guest services in the morning to see what is still available. Lunch seems to have more availability. Sometimes, a very late lunch is perfect. That leaves room for a treat in the evening. Just be patient and don't have too many expectations and you won't be disappointed. Have a wonderful trip.

Mickie the Pooh
08-22-2007, 01:16 PM
To the original poster, perhaps you don't understand the system at DW especially during the free dining period even if you don't have it, there will be NO openings for walk ups. at almost everywhere.
Even other times you actually NEED to have ADRs if you plan to eat at a sit down restaraunt. You will be lucky if you can still make any at this point but I would get on the phone and try.

Chris_Esq
08-22-2007, 02:54 PM
To the original poster, perhaps you don't understand the system at DW especially during the free dining period even if you don't have it, there will be NO openings for walk ups. at almost everywhere.
Even other times you actually NEED to have ADRs if you plan to eat at a sit down restaraunt. You will be lucky if you can still make any at this point but I would get on the phone and try.

No...I understand the system perfectly, thus my question. I don't think an advance dining reservation system is beyond my comprehension. I am aware that with the free dining program in full swing, table service restaurants will be packed. However, we are going to be outside the world enough (Universal, etc.) that we decided it would be easier to eat outside rather than make 2/3 ADR's each day.

What I wanted to know was if there were any suggestions for table service restaurants that could be enjoyed w/o ADR's given the current free dining situation. If there are none, that's OK with us. We've been to the world 5 times since 1993, but dining has never been a priority with us.

MizMissy
08-22-2007, 03:03 PM
What I wanted to know was if there were any suggestions for table service restaurants that could be enjoyed w/o ADR's given the current free dining situation. If there are none, that's OK with us. We've been to the world 5 times since 1993, but dining has never been a priority with us.

Your best bet may to try restaurants that aren't included on the DDP, they may not be as busy during the free dining. Also, for places on the plan, try for odd times, probably late lunches would be best. Check guest services when you arrive at whichever park in the morning and ask whether there are any open reservations.

Good luck!

SLS-550
08-22-2007, 05:09 PM
I prefer to only make one or two adrs for character dining but we wing it the rest of the time.

We make a couple of adrs for restaurants that we really want to go to, and wing the rest also. Last year we went mid Sept. (Free Dining) and we really did not have any issues with getting TS dining. Our only adr last year was Coral Reef, other TS w/out adrs was Capt. Jacks (DTD), Nine Dragons (Epcot), Boatwrights (POR), & Sci-Fi (MGM). We would either check with guest relations when we got to the park, or check with concierge at the resort the night before or the day of, for reservations on a list of restaurants that we wanted to try. I know that is true that your popular restaurants will require an adr, we found that as long as your flexible with your time & don't have your heart set on one particular thing, which it seems like you don't, we were able to eat some pretty good food last year with a pretty short notice. Maybe we just got lucky last year, but we are going to try it that way again in 11 days.:thumbsup:

mrsgaribaldi
08-22-2007, 05:48 PM
I would call and make a few ADRS just so you have them. You cna always cancel if you want. This way at least you have a choice. We are going in 16 days and I made some ADRs on Sun. Good luck and have a great trip:thumbsup:

terri.m
08-22-2007, 05:52 PM
We were there during free dining last year and we didn't have it or any ADR's. The ONLY restaurant we got into was San Angel Inn in Mexico at 9pm. We tried and tried to get in any restaurant for dinner and there was NOTHING available. I strongly suggest making some ADR's unless you don't mind eating at counter service or the hotel cafeteria every night.

Chris_Esq
08-22-2007, 05:55 PM
We're going to wing it also. If necessary, we'll have the car service motor us around Orlando in search of a decent meal. I'm not sure, but I'm willing to bet that there is at least one good restaurant in Orlando outside of the World.

I did make ADR's today for Chef Mickeys and Ohana (for the boys). As for the rest, we'll make that up as we go along.

Thanks for the input.

Mickie the Pooh
08-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Chris esq

I am sorry if you found my response offensive in some way, I did not intend it to be.

hooberry
08-22-2007, 08:19 PM
:mickey:I would definitely try those resturants NOT on the DDP, the Swan and Dolphin have some wonderful, often overlooked , resturants. I also love Rainforest, good food and fun atmosphere:thumbsup:have fun. And since you said you are also doing universal, Emeralds was really good.