PDA

View Full Version : Decorations at the Resorts in December

traceyo1
08-21-2007, 07:18 PM
I have heard lots of wonderful things about the decorations at the resorts during Christmas time. Can I get a list of which resorts are really worth seeing and how much time you feel should be taken away from the parks to visit and get to see all the "good stuff". We are staying at Wilderness Lodge, going to Polynesian and Grand Floridian for meals. Are the value resorts worthy going to? Let me know what the experts think.

SurferStitch
08-21-2007, 08:12 PM
The Grand Flo is my favorite resort at Christmas time! The decorations are amazing, and the giant gingerbread house is not to be missed.

Since you'll be going to the Flo and Poly for dinner, you can either go a little early or stick around after your meal to take in all of the decorations. At the Flo in December of '06 there was a Photopass photographer present to take pics of you in front of the gingerbread house and the Christmas tree. We got some really nice shots there, and plan to do the same this December.

I wouldn't make a special trip to the Values to see the decorations. They are nice (we stayed at Pop last December), but not necessarily worth the trip. You might want to take that time and visit the Yacht and Beach clubs, and definitely the AKL. The AKL has gorgeous Christmas decorations.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
08-22-2007, 11:46 AM
I would probably limit myself to just the Deluxe resorts. We've stayed at the moderates during Christmas, and although they have nice holiday decorations, I wouldn't specifically go out of my way to see them. The Grand Floridian's life size ginger bread house is the most talked about. I would just simply get off at each of the three deluxes on the monorail, spend a 1/2 hour or less at each and that should be fine. A trip to the Boardwalk area is worthwhile too, to see Y&B clubs and the Boardwalk.

If you have cable with a searchable guide, as the holidays get near look for Samantha Brown from the Travel Channel. She does the Passport to Europe and Latin America shows, but she has also done specials related to Disney, and I'm pretty certain one of them was the behind the scenes holiday decorations around the world. It was really good, but beware it make take some of the mystery of how they do things. I don't know that they replay it each year, but am assuming and hoping that they do.

SurferStitch
08-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Oh yeah...last year Food Network had a special about all of the gingerbread/candy/chocolate displays at the Deluxe resorts. It was hosted by Raven (That's so Raven). We recorded it, and I just watched it again a couple days ago. Chances are they will rerun it this year, or show a new one.

The show also showed park decorations, great places to eat, etc. I know I'll be watching it a lot before our December trip.

ThanxForNoticin
08-22-2007, 12:41 PM
I don't think I'd make a special trip to the Values to see the decorations. But seeing GF and Poly is definitely worthwhile, along with AKL and B&Y Club. Also, just a note, you will be staying at one of our favorites for holiday decorations - WL is awesome, too. Enjoy.

bethanne6245
08-22-2007, 03:59 PM
We stayed at the WL last Dec. Wait till you see the tree....it's HUGE! We also went to the BC and they had a carousel made out of all chocolate and candy with hidden mickeys! The GF has the huge gingerbread house as mentioned and it smells delicious! We also ate at the Contemporary...they had a scene with Pinocchio and Ghepetto downstairs near the entrance. It was made out of candy and chocolate.
Enjoy!

Piglet822
08-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Here's a link to some pictures I took last year of the resort decorations. I think there might be a few park pics in there, too. I honestly don't remember.

Christmas @ Disney (http://jpag822.smugmug.com/gallery/2206127#116843451)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-22-2007, 07:19 PM
In 2005 the Dolphin had a cute display in the lobby. It was a BIG little train that went around a huge tree. Other than that, I agree with everyone else. Definitely go to the Y&B, Boardwalk, the WL, the Poly and don't miss the GF. That was the best of all of them