PDA

View Full Version : Chefs De France (escargots)

SLS-550
08-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Good morning everyone,
one thing I like about free dining is, it gives me a chance to try things I normally wouldn't try. We are eating at Chefs De France for dinner & I would like to try escargots (Casserole of Burgundian escargots baked in parsley and garlic butter).Has anyone ever had it before? Did you like it?:ack: It kinda tastes like?
Thanks for your input.
12 days to go:woohoo:

05 off site
06 POR
07 Sep ASMu

frakers
08-21-2007, 09:02 AM
I have not had this dish at WDW but elsewhere. I am an adventurous diner but I found that escargot was not my favorite thing I've ever tried. Actually, I would probably not order it again. Thats not to say that you might not love it, it just wasn't for me. I can't really compare it to anything else either to help describe it. Here's the best I've got: It's like nothing else and it DOESN'T taste like chicken! :D

BelleBeauty
08-21-2007, 10:43 AM
I have not had escargots at Chefs de France, but I have had it many times elsewhere (including France). I like it, especially garlic and herb escargots. The main thing that you taste is the sauce, which is amazingly garlicy. Other than that, escargots really doesn't take like anything too different. I highly recommend it - it is fantastic!

big blue and hairy
08-21-2007, 10:49 AM
I just tried the escagots at Le Chefs De France a few weeks ago. It was quite good! Pretty much tastes like seafood with a lot of garlic.

:sulley:

DisneyLuvRSince76
08-21-2007, 10:52 AM
I have tried escargot in France, but not at Chefs de France. I thought that they were pretty good and I would probably order them again.

In my opinion, if you like a lot of garlic and like trying new things... go for it. There's a good chance that you will enjoy your escargot (and if you don't, you can be happy that you are eating them for free)!

When we have dinner at Chefs de France, I am planning on ordering the 'Tarte a la flamme Alsacienne'. I'm hoping :fingers: that this will be as good as the Flammkuchen that I've had in France/Germany! :tasty:

On a side note, I CAN'T WAIT to be back at WDW :mickey:... only 31 more days (not that I'm counting :blush: )

Wells
08-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Dude....They're snails, Nasty little bottom-feeding snot balls....which is exactly what they taste like!:sick:

MickeyandTink
08-21-2007, 11:06 AM
I have not had escargots at Chefs de France, but I have had it many times elsewhere (including France). I like it, especially garlic and herb escargots. The main thing that you taste is the sauce, which is amazingly garlicy. Other than that, escargots really doesn't take like anything too different. I highly recommend it - it is fantastic!

While I've never been to France :pout:, I have had escargot a few times (not at WDW) and quite enjoy it. I agree the sauce is what really makes it. I usually dip my bread into it after finishing the escargot.

As to taste, to me they are a bit like oysters. Others may feel different, though. If you can get past what they are, they really are very good.

SLS-550
08-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Oysters is what came to mind when I thought about it, which I really enjoy. One things for sure, I'm not going to know unless I try them, so bring on the snails, and while I'm there I'll take the squid to (Calamari):D Thanks

TheRustyScupper
08-21-2007, 01:16 PM
1) We have had them at Chef's.
2) They do compare well with French versions.
3) As mentioned, you really taste the garlic sauce, not the snail.

NOTE: We enjoyed the snails. The one good thing about them is that they are so slow. It is easy to catch them when they escape the dish. Not like the faster lobsters when you have to chase them between restaurant tables.

frakers
08-21-2007, 02:04 PM
I do have to agree about the sauce, it was nice as a dip for the crusty bread. Hey, it's free dining, you've literally got nothing to lose. My mouth is watering now for some of the pate or lobster bisque! :chef:

grumpycajun
08-21-2007, 05:54 PM
As most of the posts so far suggest, escargot have a pretty neutral flavor and it is mostly the sauce you'll taste. Some people don't care for the texture, but that's usually because they've been heated too long and have gotten a little chewy. I've also had them with too much garlic - and I love garlic. What the heck. give them a try. The worst thing that will happen is you don't eat them. At least you'll be able to gross out your squeemish friends when you tell them you tried them.:thumbsup:

TheSorcererofFantasia
08-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Dude....They're snails, Nasty little bottom-feeding snot balls....which is exactly what they taste like!:sick:

I now need monitor cleaner for my new laptop! :thedolls:

They rather remind me of a clam that is bit on the chewy side and heavily flavored with garlic and herbs. It is customary to dip your crusty French baguette into the remaining sauce and saturate it.

DVC2004
08-27-2007, 10:31 AM
I have had the escargot there and they are good- especially if you love butter and garlic!
As someone else said, they are similar in texture and taste to clams. I love escargot and order it whenever I can find them at a restaurant.

"SULLEY "RULES!!
08-29-2007, 10:43 PM
My husband and I have tried them on the Disney Cruise Line. They are actually pretty good. We're going to Disney in November and eating at Chef De France. We'll have to try them at dinner.:sulley:

Medland
08-30-2007, 01:41 AM
I had escargot at a F&WF booth. In trying to describe it I thought of the neutral flavor of scallops...but more earthy tasting (like scallops marinated in dirt) and chewy like clams. :sick: NOT the tastiest thing I've ever eaten...might try them again sometime just to see if a different preparation would be better.