PDA

View Full Version : Pixie Dust for a Friend

ckaranassos
08-21-2007, 08:44 AM
My best friend called me crying last night informing me that her beautiful 18 month old girl is being tested and coming close to being diagnosed with having autism. As we are both teachers and mothers our heads are spinning in every direction. I will be visiting her today and get all the details, she could not explain a lot last night because her husband works nights and she was trying to feed and bathe DD's. I would also appreciate any advice or information anyone might have for her that I can pass along. 18 months seems very young to be diagnosed. However, I have not personally seen her in action this summer to comment. My friend said she did have concerns earlier this summer but never thought it was to this degree.

thrillme
08-21-2007, 08:59 AM
:pixie::pixie::pixie: For your friend. There is a good side to this. The fact that she IS being diagnosed so EARLY. Yes it is starting to happen earlier. The earlier the diagnosis the better. Autism is NOT a death sentence. It just means there may be a different way of tackling a problem. Depending on the severity of possible autism...there are many people that are living in our society that have gone on to lead VERY productive lives with a good job and family.

Of course it would be better if the results come back negative and that's what I'm hoping for. In life we all have crosses to bear and many of us have handicaps to overcome. I think it's a real blessing that this sweet little girl has wonderful friends and family to watch over her.

Mickey'sGirl
08-21-2007, 09:00 AM
Both of my son's are autistic. My oldest has Asperger's and my youngest has Autistic Spectrum Disorder. Both are very high functioning.

After she gets over the initial shock, she will realize that the most important thing to know is that her daughter is no different today than she was yesterday, prior to the diagnosis. She is the same little girl she has always loved. A diagnosis will allow them to find supports in their area, perhaps enable them to access public funding for training or speech therapies, and allow people to understand a little more about her daughter. A diagnosis is the way to greater achievements for her daughter.

Granted some things are more difficult than others -- but the simple pleasures derived from hugs and kisses are better than you can imagine. So there are gives and takes.

I would not have my children any other way. They are interesting and individual and smart and fabulous. :mickey:

ElenitaB
08-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Ditto to EVERYthing that Jennifer said. My cousin's oldest daughter was diagnosed last year with Asperger's and it took a long time for the diagnosis to be made. The earlier the diagnosis the better as resources do become available.

Like Jennifer said, the diagnosis doesn't mean that the child has changed or is now somehow "broken"... she is still the same beloved daughter.

:pixie: to the family!

Dsnygirl
08-21-2007, 09:45 AM
Sending :pixie: your friend's way, as she is dealing with this new diagnosis - like Jenn said, she's so lucky to have found this out now, and that it isn't anything more serious - I've known autistic children in my girls' classes, and they are sweet and loving and great kids, esp. when the diagnosis is made early and early interventions can be started. I hope & pray she gets the information she wants -- but I also know that she and her daughter will be okay, no matter what!!

ckaranassos
08-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the replies. I responded the same way- that no matter what, she will always be that same beautiful little girl. But the teacher side of us kicked in and started thinking of how she will be treated by other people and how hard things could be for her. She is going to get a lot of early intervention which sounds key to helping, as well as she is in a very good school district with lots of help for when she gets older. All I know is we leave for Disney in 7 days and "Aunt Cindi" will have a suitcase of Princess presents for her girls. Bringing the magic home. :mickey:

MsMin
08-21-2007, 09:50 AM
I'm going to agree that the earlier the better because she can start receiving any special services she may need. True there are several high functioning forms of Autism and some that are more severe. It's not my specialty but I do know that Asperger's is far more common in males than females. Let's just hope it is a milder form of autism because for some children life is a struggle and many parents experience lifelong grieving over the loss of typical life milestones and experiences. I've seen children with Down's Syndrome that function incredibly well with the help and loving care of an attentive parent. While this is MR and not autism, I mention it but ppl seem to think of it as a death sentence and it's more widely known.
Many of the severe cases I've seen the child has been blind, deaf or both and the lack of senses complicates the disorder. I've seen some children who present with what seems like a behavior problem. I also believe that there are many out there with a very mild form that have never been diagnosed.
I do believe that things happen for a reason and that though the lessons are hard it's all part of a bigger picture. As you see too there are many parents here with children with Autism.
Sending loads of :pixie: and prayers for all. If you have any questions on any particular forms of Autism please feel free to PM me. :angel:

bleukarma
08-21-2007, 09:54 AM
:pixie::pixie: for your friend and her daughter! I hope your vacation next week is great and I will pray that the results of the tests come back with some good news.

Jenemmy
08-21-2007, 04:04 PM
Hi there. I have posted many, many times on this forum in regards to autism. One of my 3 children has autism -- I would label him as moderate to severe, to be honest. He was diagnosed at 2 years of age and he is now 9. Like parenting ANY child, there will be ups and downs....but you learn to take absolutely nothing for granted and the victories that can and will come the way of your friend's daughter are all the more sweet.

I am willing to e-mail or heck...even talk on the phone....with anyone going through a diagnosis process and needs an understanding ear from someone who has been there. You pm me ANY TIME! I don't mind at all. If my walk through this can help anyone else starting the journey it would thrill me.

I will tell you, that my son adores school. He is in a structured setting for part of the day with other kids on the spectrum and then integrated into a typical class for part of the day. That scared me to death, knowing what he might face in the way of teasing. The result has been the absolute opposite! The typical kids are good for him, and he is good for them. They have been so wonderful to him and he adores his buddies and his "girlfriends". My son is largely non-verbal, but began talking a bit last year. One little girl came up to the teacher just crying tears of joy because my son had said her name.

I hope for all the best for your friend and if it isn't autism -- WONDERFUL, but if it is, she still has a beautiful wonderful child that is special and amazing and will teach her so much.

Try google-ing a poem called "Welcome to Holland". And, thanks for being a great friend in a difficult time -- people like you are PRICELESS!!!!

mrsgaribaldi
08-21-2007, 04:58 PM
:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie: on the way.