PDA

View Full Version : what is school bread??

mousetrapper
08-20-2007, 08:39 PM
I've heard this is one of the must-eats at Epcot, if not all of WDW.

I'm dying to know exactly what it is and where I can get it! I think Norway?

Thanks!

ILoveLegos
08-20-2007, 08:56 PM
It is a huge delicious pudding/creme filled donut like pastry with shredded coconut icing on top. It is big enough to share - and worth every bite!
:number1:

Horizon93
08-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Wow, I have been to WDW so many times and am very Epcot-centric. I have never had this. Where can I get it?

Crow
08-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Kringla bakery in Norway:thumbsup:
its great! get a Viking coffee w it. its also a snack on the DDP. ill b having it again next month

Horizon93
08-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks!

Speedy1998
08-20-2007, 09:45 PM
It is big enough to share - and worth every bite!
:number1:

Or you could just eat one as a meal.

mouseketeer mom
08-21-2007, 07:18 PM
Its like a huge donut that must weigh about 3 lbs. No kidding. Its super sweet and heavy. We all picked at it and almost went into sugar shock!

Here we go again...
08-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Its like a huge donut that must weigh about 3 lbs. No kidding. Its super sweet and heavy. We all picked at it and almost went into sugar shock!

I am going into sugar shock reading this.

tinkerbelle75
08-22-2007, 03:29 PM
I can tell ya what it is---
It's YUMMMMMMY!!!!! And it really goes pretty good with that Norway beer too! :secret:

chechas
08-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Just got added to my list of things to try! LOL

brewcrew26
08-23-2007, 02:46 PM
That sounds absolutely amazing! Are there pictures of how big this thing is???

huzzah4
08-23-2007, 03:49 PM
A School bread is about the only thing that can beat a DoleWhip from MK or a Pithivier from the Patisserie. It is huge and super sweet, it sure is a good thing that all food at WDW is calorie free otherwise I am sure it would be well over 1500 calories.

There is a picture of them on the tray at the bottom of this page:
http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/foodphotos/epcot/worldshowcase/page4.asp#photo13b

MMouse6937
08-23-2007, 04:03 PM
It is huge and super sweet, it sure is a good thing that all food at WDW is calorie free otherwise I am sure it would be well over 1500 calories.

hehehe :D Fat free WDW, now that's a Year of a Million Dreams thing!

That picture looks outrageous, we might have to try one of those. I am looking forward to some interesting things to snack on in WS. Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

brewcrew26
08-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Is that a buttercream frosting on top? What kind of filling is inside or is it like a straight dough?

I almost feel my arteries clogging with sugary goodness...

huzzah4
08-23-2007, 10:40 PM
The dough itself is a lightly sweetened bread dough, similar to what would be used for doughnuts or cinnamon rolls, and I do normaly get a slight cinnamonny flavor from the whole thing. The inside is filled with a creamy, custardy, gooey, scrumptious type of filling. The icing on the outside is a typical sugary white icing, not buttercream unfortunately, but it is covered with coconut (not sure how traditional of a Norwegian staple coconut actually is, but who cares, it is yumsy). The little dollop you can see at the top I expected to be like a whipped cream type of thing, but it is actually a good sized chunk of white chocolate. Only six weeks to go, I can taste a schoolbread already.

crazypoohbear
08-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Can you get this without the Coconut :sick::ack::ill:
I HATE coconut if I eat it I :ack: (allergic)

mousetrapper
08-24-2007, 12:47 PM
All I can say is .... WOW.

I love coconut, I love donuts and a dollop of white chocolate? Hello?!? yum!

I can already feel the pounds being added on as I consider all the great things I want to eat when I'm at WDW in November!!!

Horizon93 says he(she?) is Epcot-centric...I'm FOOD-centric!! :D

Those cloudberry horns don't look too bad either...!

One of my most vivid memories from my first trips to WDW (I was in college!) was having a cherry turnover with coffee -- I think it was from Kringla bakery. It was one of the most wonderful things I ever ate. Delicious flaky pastry with big crunchy sugar crystals covering the top and juicy, sweet cherries stuffed inside...

MickeyMousse
08-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Oh My! I have just found what I am going to be eating in November!!

Wonder how many points on Weight Watchers?? :scale: LOL!!

bleukarma
08-24-2007, 12:57 PM
There is a picture of them on the tray at the bottom of this page:
http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/foodphotos/epcot/worldshowcase/page4.asp#photo13b

My god that thing is huge!

I have to admit, of all the times I have been to WDW I've never ate anything in Norway. :blush:
I thought school bread was actual bread (like breadsticks or something) so thanks for the picture! I'm going to have to wait till I go with a few people to share that!!

brewcrew26
08-24-2007, 01:03 PM
I think I always thought it was literally bread, too. I think just looking at it threw off my Atkins diet for the week...

SurferStitch
08-24-2007, 01:29 PM
That looks amazing!!!!

I'll put that on my list of things to try, right after the Kitchen Sink.

jszczur5
08-24-2007, 03:28 PM
See, this is what you get when you let your kids rush you through World Showcase - you miss out on what sounds like the most delicious thing imaginable. We will be at EPCOT next week, and I will be sure to try one. Maybe, I'll even let hubby have a taste....
I've never tried a Dole Whip either, so that is another "must have" for this trip.

Disdad13
08-24-2007, 06:07 PM
A School bread is about the only thing that can beat a DoleWhip from MK or a Pithivier from the Patisserie.

OK, now what is Pithivier? I have never taken the time to look at the bakery in Norway - but I will this September! I will certainly get better use out of our snack credits than I have in the past.

Does anybody know if you can get them to make the school bread without coconut??

huzzah4
08-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Ahhhh, a query about the Pithivier. This has to be my 2nd most favoritist treat in WDW. The first time I got one was as we were leaving for the night and I thought that as long as I was getting my Napoleon to eat while waiting for the bus, I would pick up one of the yummy looking cream cheese croissants for breakfast. Boy was I in for a surprise the next morning. Although the pastry does seem to be rather similar to a croissant, the filling was by no means cream cheese, I wasn't entirely sure that it was even possible, but it was even better. It is actually filled with an almond paste, almost like marzipan, but not quite as strong and with a smoother texture. The pastry itself has a lightly sweetened top, but is so flaky that it is impossible to eat one without making a mess (I found this out while trying to eat it in bed the next morning). I make it a point to get at least one of these every trip now.

grego77
08-24-2007, 10:38 PM
I will definitely try one next month! Thanks for introducing us to it! :mickey:

SimbaandNalasMama
08-25-2007, 11:20 AM
That looks amazing!!!!

I'll put that on my list of things to try, right after the Kitchen Sink.

Kitchen Sink is on our list as well...top of the list actually. but being on low-carb diet, um, i dont think i can do both..hehe. however, its VACAY!!! I think the sugar and carb counts will be gone from my trip this time, especially since we are going to a MNSSHP and Food & Wine Fest!! mmmm...Norway, here we come...see how i have no will power? :)

Cinderelley
08-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Counting the days until I eat more schoolbread! :cloud9:

I don't think it is topped with white chocolate though. I don't like white chocolate, but I do like the schoolbread. I think it's just more of the vanilla custard on the top.