View Full Version : What are beignets?

kdsjjb
08-20-2007, 04:29 PM
I know I have read about them on here, but can someone tell me:

1. What are they?
2. Where do I find them?
3. When do I find them? Are they breakfast,
lunch, dinner, snacks...
4. Are they on your personal "Do not miss" list?

Thanks!

alittleGrumpy
08-20-2007, 04:49 PM
1) Fried Doughy things that are topped with A LOT of powdered sugar.

2) Only place that I know of for sure is POFQ

3) Had them as a snack this past Saturday, but in previous trips have gotten them as late as 10:30 - they are made to order.

4) Wouldn't put them on the "can't miss list", but I can tell you that on Saturday we were going from MK to DTD, and I figured that a good way to get there would be to take bus from MK to POFQ and then boat to DTD, and while I was there had to have them as a snack (3 of them as snack credit on DDP). I ended up with powdered sugar all over me, table, and floor:D.

Worth a try, IMHO.

Clotho
08-20-2007, 04:57 PM
Dense pillows of fried deliciousness, and a TON of powdered sugar!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beignet

The most famous are Cafe DuMonde's in New Orleans, so it is natural that POFQ is the "home" of them in WDW. In DLR, you can find them at Cafe Orleans!

ElenitaB
08-20-2007, 05:00 PM
They're not necessarily on my "must do at WDW" list but would definitely be on my "must do" list in New Orleans (but only at Cafe du Monde). Here's a link (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=104979&highlight=beignets) to a previous discussion we've had in this forum, that answers a lot of your questions.

Gottaluvgoof
08-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Had them numerous times in New Orleans.....YUM YUM :eat::tasty: I have stayed at POR several times and never knew they had them at the POFQ, or I would have been over there trying them.

grumpycajun
08-20-2007, 05:57 PM
1. Ahem...They are not "doughy things", they are simply the best donut ever invented since the beginning of time.;) They do, however, have tons of powdered sugar on them. If you leave the table without having powdered sugar all over every square inch of your body, you haven't eaten them properly. No doubt the young children in your group can show you how it's done.

2. I've never had them at Disney (see item 4)but I understand POFQ is the only place they're offered.

3. They are breakfast, brunch, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, snack, and mid-night snack. (Or possibly 3 AM snack after a long night in the French Quarter... but, I digress...)

4. Being somewhat of a beignet snob, I haven't tried them at Disney. Only at Cafe du Monde, where I stuff myself until I am ill. I suppose I could be persueded to give them a try at POFQ - but only if they are accompanied by cafe au lait!:D

mousetrapper
08-20-2007, 08:36 PM
I've never had them at WDW but enjoyed them immensely when I visited N'Awlins in 1991! We had the beignets and amazing cafe au lait at Cafe du Monde at the French Market.

I still crave them...

YUM

scoot241
08-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Mmmm... beignets... they're delicious French donuts, fried and covered in powdered sugar. The idea is similar to a funnel cake, but beignets are so much better. It's one of the things I miss about New Orleans.

I've never had them in WDW, but I did have them in DL at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney. They weren't bad, but they came in a bag instead of on a plate which kind of ruined the powdered sugar and they just weren't as good as what you could get at Cafe Du Monde (not to mention 2-3 times more expensive).

Speedy1998
08-20-2007, 09:40 PM
list but would definitely be on my "must do" list in New Orleans (but only at Cafe du Monde). .

You need to start hanging out with some of the locals. IMHO Cafe du Monde is a highly over rated waste of time. There are tons of better places in the greater New Orleans area to get beignets.

4myprincesses
08-21-2007, 09:18 AM
They are on our "must have" list, but we stay at POFQ so it's easy to be on there. They are especially good after a long day in the parks with an ice cold glass of milk. Not bad with coffee or tea for breakfast, either. Really good as snack in between parks after a quick nap for the kids, not to mention as a dessert for any meal.

Mmmmmm, 2 weeks to beignets!

pox24
08-21-2007, 09:57 AM
They are good at POFQ but not even close to the real thing. My wife is from New Orleans and WDW make a a great effort but it s not a race compared to Cafe Dumont.

MsMin
08-21-2007, 10:17 AM
You need to start hanging out with some of the locals. IMHO Cafe du Monde is a highly over rated waste of time. There are tons of better places in the greater New Orleans area to get beignets.
Hey, sorry to disagree but I was born and raised in N.O. and I have to agree with Ellen. A beignet shop in the burbs doesn't compare. Everywhere else is just fried dough w/o the atmosphere of the FQ it's not the same. A good friend of mine's parents own Coffee Call and I love it but I bring my friends who visit to Cafe du Monde. Sorry but I've never had them @ WDW b/c I don't go for N.O. style stuff when on vacation b/c I've been disappointed too many times. I did bring Piglet822 to Cafe Du Monde just 10 days ago and she said they were better in N.O.
If you want a good comparison try a sopapia it's the Mexican version except I think they use honey instead of powdered sugar.

princessM0m
08-21-2007, 10:31 AM
I've had them both places--in N.O. and at POFQ. The ones at POFQ were okay, especially if you've never tried them, but they just couldn't compare to the originals.

kdsjjb
08-21-2007, 12:57 PM
I appreciate the input. DW and I will be down there in just 22 days 1 hour and 19 minutes, and although we are staying at WL,DW loves to resort hop.
As I am a big fan of dough - and anything fried - POFQ will be a stop on this trip.
Cant wait to give them a try.

TheRustyScupper
08-21-2007, 01:07 PM
. . . As I am a big fan of dough - and anything fried - POFQ will be a stop on this trip. Cant wait to give them a try.

1) They are not quite like New Orleans, but close.
2) At least the remembrance is there.
3) And, they ARE quite good.

NOTE: The other thing is that Disney has a secret recipe. They found a way to eliminate all the calories and carbs, as well as a way to inject all the vitamins and minerals your need for the entire day. You can eat as many as you want without penalty! Just make sure you get there early, because these go quickly and the normal ones with calories and carbs remain.

Mickey'sGirl
08-21-2007, 01:28 PM
4. Being somewhat of a beignet snob, I haven't tried them at Disney. Only at Cafe du Monde, where I stuff myself until I am ill. I suppose I could be persueded to give them a try at POFQ - but only if they are accompanied by cafe au lait!:D.... alas, the coffee at POFQ is not of Cafe du Monde quality either ... All in all though, the beignets and coffee at POFQ make a great breakfast or evening treat..... :mickey:

A word to the wise -- do not breathe in whilst you are taking a bite. Powdered sugar can come out your nose if you aren't careful. Been there. Done that.

scoot241
08-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Hey, sorry to disagree but I was born and raised in N.O. and I have to agree with Ellen. A beignet shop in the burbs doesn't compare. Everywhere else is just fried dough w/o the atmosphere of the FQ it's not the same. A good friend of mine's parents own Coffee Call and I love it but I bring my friends who visit to Cafe du Monde. Sorry but I've never had them @ WDW b/c I don't go for N.O. style stuff when on vacation b/c I've been disappointed too many times. I did bring Piglet822 to Cafe Du Monde just 10 days ago and she said they were better in N.O.
If you want a good comparison try a sopapia it's the Mexican version except I think they use honey instead of powdered sugar.

Gotta agree here. I'm also born and raised in N.O. and Cafe du Monde is the only place to go. I'm sorry to say that I'm not a big fan of Coffee Call (at least the one in Baton Rouge).

SgtTigger
08-21-2007, 08:11 PM
4. Being somewhat of a beignet snob, I haven't tried them at Disney. Only at Cafe du Monde, where I stuff myself until I am ill. I suppose I could be persueded to give them a try at POFQ - but only if they are accompanied by cafe au lait!:D

Sorry no cafe au lait but I did enjoy them.... we wanted to do this several trips but never got to Port Orleans.... well we finally did and we liked them a lot. Hey I am from right out side of new Orleans and I know what they should be like.... Sorry beth but I like them at lakeside and at the one on vets also but lets remember I hate the french quarter so that could have something to do with it...... I dis not mind wandering all over port orleans and seeing the mardi gras stuff from down here... If you dont thing that the mardi gras stuff is not real I can tell you it is.... One of the things hanging up is from the krewe of Menervia I was involved in that krewe for a number of years with my step mom. They no longer parade but I just had to take a picture for her.......

:cop: :tigger:

Clotho
08-21-2007, 08:28 PM
When we went to NOLA, the locals who were showing us around did take us to Cafe DuMonde, It was their favorite, and we loved it!

Sad to say the ones in Disneyland aren't the same at all, but are still lovely. The ones there reminded me of drop-cakes, if anyone knows what I mean by that. Has anyone had the DLR and POFQ ones and can report on similarities or differences?

KAJUNKING
08-22-2007, 01:45 AM
Sorry no cafe au lait but I did enjoy them.... we wanted to do this several trips but never got to Port Orleans.... well we finally did and we liked them a lot. Hey I am from right out side of new Orleans and I know what they should be like.... Sorry beth but I like them at lakeside and at the one on vets also but lets remember I hate the french quarter so that could have something to do with it...... I dis not mind wandering all over port orleans and seeing the mardi gras stuff from down here... If you dont thing that the mardi gras stuff is not real I can tell you it is.... One of the things hanging up is from the krewe of Menervia I was involved in that krewe for a number of years with my step mom. They no longer parade but I just had to take a picture for her.......

:cop: :tigger:

i too am not a fan of the quarter, but du monde is the best! the one in lakeside is pretty awesome, i hope they rebuild the one in oakwood, its been 2 years it would be nice to go to a mall without having to cross the river :mickey:

brewcrew26
08-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Mmm...beignets. I have a box of DuMonde's in my cupboard at home. The one's I make at home don't look great, but they taste awesome!

There's also a great place in Milwaukee that serves them, but I can't think of it right now. They're so good that they run out on Saturday and Sunday mornings and the line almost is outside the building!

Mmm, can't wait to get to Port Orleans!!

boobalk
08-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Oh my!!! I first had them @ Mardi Gras! They are pure heaven!!:cloud9: Let's see if I can explain them properly! A fluffy lightly fried pastry topped w/a blanket of powdery, sweet sugar. Some have lucious fillings and some are wonderfully plain. I consider them a definite "Do-Not-Miss"! You can find these heavenly delights @ POFQ. And they use to have them @ Epcot in the France pavillion bakery. (can you taste them already?):cloud9:

garymacd
08-22-2007, 09:43 PM
1. Ahem...They are not "doughy things", they are simply the best donut ever invented since the beginning of time.;) They do, however, have tons of powdered sugar on them. If you leave the table without having powdered sugar all over every square inch of your body, you haven't eaten them properly. No doubt the young children in your group can show you how it's done.

2. I've never had them at Disney (see item 4)but I understand POFQ is the only place they're offered.

3. They are breakfast, brunch, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, snack, and mid-night snack. (Or possibly 3 AM snack after a long night in the French Quarter... but, I digress...)

Keven, you said a "mouthful!" And you are right. They are good whenever you have them. They are also available at Riverside, since the two resorts are so closely linked.

yasmina
08-23-2007, 09:13 AM
Unfortunately, I've never been to N'awlins - that's my dream trip someday.

However, I did try the beignets at POFQ on our recent trip. I have to say that I am probably in the minority here on these boards who did NOT like them. First of all, they had WAY too much powdered sugar on them. Second, they were tough! My teeth hurt by the time I was done eating just 2 of them. The rest I gave to my dd9, who will eat anything sweet, and even she didn't eat them all.

MMouse6937
08-23-2007, 04:07 PM

I hope they're not like a sopapillas, we get those here all the time :( My parents were in NO and said they were great, my mom is looking forward to trying them at POFQ. :mickey: