View Full Version : Disney Announces Blu-ray Title Wave Coming '08

fupresti
08-20-2007, 12:09 PM
(link removed per TOS)
News

Disney Announces Blu-ray Title Wave Coming '08
Source: Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment
August 18, 2007

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment (WDSHE) announced Friday more innovations in the Blu-ray format with the studio's first ever Platinum Blu-ray release, the studio's first BD-Live title, and full motion picture-in-picture Blu-ray bonus features.

The studio announced the first animated Platinum coming to Blu-ray will be the timeless treasure Sleeping Beauty. Releasing Sleeping Beauty on Blu-ray marks a milestone for the format as these titles are not released until a format has been proven both technologically and in terms of consumer acceptance - and Disney's animated releases in the past have been a major catalyst for any format's growth. Pinocchio's release on VHS and Snow White's release on DVD marked major growth milestones for both of those formats. The Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray Disc release will also include a virtual castle and multi-player activities - both utilizing the BD-Live technology.

"The Platinum titles are the crown jewels of the Disney Studios and we do not take releasing them lightly on any format. The proven Blu-ray technology has allowed us to take our films to new heights, fully utilizing the larger capacity and interactive capabilities for an incredible all-new consumer experience," commented Bob Chapek, President of Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment.

In addition, WDSHE announced the special edition release of the action-adventure blockbuster National Treasure, which will become the studio's first BD-Live Blu-ray Disc title. In addition, the studio will bring two of its treasured family classics to Blu-ray Disc, Disney/Pixar's Finding Nemo and The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, both of which will feature full motion picture-in-picture bonus features.

"The strides that we've made with this format are just the tip of the iceberg and we are confident that consumers will be astounded by the level of entertainment that can only be achieved by using the maximum capacity of the Blu-ray Disc format. All of these wonderful titles will appeal to the ever growing Blu-ray market and we are extremely proud to offer these in the most pristine and robust presentations ever for Disney fans around the globe," continued Chapek.

This exciting slate of Blu-ray Disc releases will begin with The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe in spring 2008, followed by National Treasure in summer of 2008 and culminating with Disney/Pixar's Finding Nemo and Sleeping Beauty in fall 2008.

LaDracul
08-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Are they going to re-release "Sleeping Beauty" on regular DVD as well? I don't feel like I want to search like mad for the one that was already released...

DizneyRox
08-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Sleeping Beauty was already released on DVD, just a few years ago actually. I'm surprised at a BluRay version already.

You don't know how many people passed on DVD releases because they arleady have the VHS tapes, I really don't see this going very well. Time will tell though...

Ian
08-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Okay, I may be nuts, but ...

I'm a gadget and gizmo guy. I love the newest technology and always want to get in on the ground floor of stuff like this.

That being said, I have ZERO interest in either Blu-Ray or Hi-Def DVD. My DVD's look just fine to me as they are today and there's no way I can possibly justify, having already had to re-buy my entire video collection when I upgraded to DVD from VHS, going out and spending more money to do it all over again just to get a bit higher-res and some marginally better audio.

Thanks, but no thanks.

fupresti
08-20-2007, 06:27 PM
Oh, but watching POTC is just too darn gorgeous NOT to watch in high-def!

I have a Blu-Ray (PS3) and an HD-DVD (XBOX 360) and I love the extra detail. Yes, DVD is nice, (in fact the PS3 does some GREAT upscaling) but I love watching movies and with a 50" television I can appreciate the better quality. I am looking forward to an increase in Disney offerings. With Meet the Robinsons coming soon, I hope they increase the amount of movies they release in this format.

Melanie
08-20-2007, 07:30 PM
We just got a PS3, so I'm actually for trying these out. I'm thinking Narnia will look incredible!

Thanks for the info!:thumbsup:

LaDracul
08-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Sleeping Beauty was already released on DVD, just a few years ago actually. I'm surprised at a BluRay version already.

You don't know how many people passed on DVD releases because they arleady have the VHS tapes, I really don't see this going very well. Time will tell though...

Yes, but remember-they put out a second "Peter Pan" DVD this year.

I am not going for the new technology, because studios are going 'one or the other' which means if I want "Van Helsing" (HD DVD), I couldn't get LXG (Blu-Ray).

With that said, I'm going to see which one dies out first, like Beta and Divx before them.

Ian
08-21-2007, 03:00 PM
This is precisely why I'm staying out of the hi-def DVD market for now ... one company goes one way ... one goes the other. I'm not going to be the guy who spends 2 grand to upgrade to what becomes the next Betamax.

Paramount to Drop Blu-Ray High-Def DVDs

By ALEX VEIGA, AP Business Writer

LOS ANGELES - Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. will offer next-generation DVDs in the HD DVD format and drop support for Blu-ray, further complicating the race between the competing technologies.

Monday's announcement affects the upcoming DVD releases of the blockbusters "Shrek the Third" and "Transformers," along with movies distributed by Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Nickelodeon Movies and MTV Films.

Movies directed by Steven Spielberg, however, will continue to be released in both formats.

Paramount, which owns DreamWorks Pictures and handles home sales for the separate company DreamWorks Animation, previously released movies in both Blu-ray and HD DVD.

"Part of our vision is to aggressively extend our movies beyond the theater, and deliver the quality and features that appeal to our audience," said Brad Grey, chairman and CEO of Paramount Pictures, a unit of Viacom Inc.

"I believe HD DVD is not only the affordable high-quality choice for consumers, but also the smart choice for Paramount," he said.
The competition between Blu-ray and HD DVD has kept confused consumers from rushing to buy new DVD players until they can determine which format will dominate the market.

Until recently, many consumers were able to defer the choice because players have been so expensive. But prices have been slashed by about half _ Sony Corp.'s Blu-ray player now sells for $499, and Toshiba Corp.'s cheapest HD DVD player sells for $299, with both likely to include as many as five free movies as an incentive.

Jeffrey Katzenberg, CEO of DreamWorks Animation, said consumers seeking to switch to high-definition DVDs will be enticed by the movies available for HD-DVD players. He added the lower price for the Toshiba devices will appeal to the family market.

"It's a game-changer, what they're doing, and it's why we decided to throw in with them," Katzenberg said.

Standalone HD DVD players have a bigger slice of the market than Blu-ray players. But when you count Sony's PlayStation 3 game console, which comes with a Blu-ray drive, there are more Blu-ray players in U.S. homes.

Rob Moore, president of Paramount Worldwide Distribution, said market data shows that people who own gaming consoles buy fewer movies than those who invest in a movie-only player.

Andy Parsons, chairman of the Blu-ray Disc Association trade group, questioned the studios' decision to adopt HD DVD over Blu-ray, saying price differences between players have diminished in recent months. He said the trend "is on its way to eliminating any perceived cost advantage the HD DVD format has claimed to have."

Blu-ray discs can hold more data _ 50 gigabytes compared with HD DVD's 30 GB _ but the technology requires new manufacturing techniques and factories, boosting initial costs.

HD DVDs, on the other hand, are essentially DVDs on steroids, meaning movie studios can turn to existing assembly lines to produce them in mass.

Studios and retailers have been choosing sides in recent months.

With Paramount dropping Blu-ray support, Time Warner Inc.'s Warner Bros. remains the only major studio releasing movies in both formats.

"Spider-Man 3" will only be available in the Blu-ray DVD format when it is released by Sony Pictures, while people with Blu-ray players won't be able to enjoy the action-thriller "The Bourne Ultimatum," which Universal Pictures will release only in HD DVD.

The Blu-ray format recently got a big boost as Blockbuster Inc. announced it would stock only Blu-ray titles when it expands its high-def DVD offerings this year.

Target Inc., the nation's second-largest retailer, said it will only sell Blu-ray DVD players in its stores in the fourth quarter.

Sony Corp.'s Sony Pictures, News Corp.'s Twentieth Century Fox, The Walt Disney Co., and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer are releasing only in Blu-ray.

Universal, owned by General Electric Co., backs HD DVD exclusively.

DizneyRox
08-21-2007, 04:19 PM
Studios and retailers have been choosing sides in recent months.

With Paramount dropping Blu-ray support, Time Warner Inc.'s Warner Bros. remains the only major studio releasing movies in both formats.

"Spider-Man 3" will only be available in the Blu-ray DVD format when it is released by Sony Pictures, while people with Blu-ray players won't be able to enjoy the action-thriller "The Bourne Ultimatum," which Universal Pictures will release only in HD DVD.

The Blu-ray format recently got a big boost as Blockbuster Inc. announced it would stock only Blu-ray titles when it expands its high-def DVD offerings this year.

Target Inc., the nation's second-largest retailer, said it will only sell Blu-ray DVD players in its stores in the fourth quarter.

Sony Corp.'s Sony Pictures, News Corp.'s Twentieth Century Fox, The Walt Disney Co., and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer are releasing only in Blu-ray.

Universal, owned by General Electric Co., backs HD DVD exclusively.
:confused: :scratch: :shrug: :crazy:

Go figure...

NotaGeek
08-21-2007, 06:39 PM
This is EXACTLY like that battle between Beta and VHS from years ago. :funny:

glenpreece
08-22-2007, 11:00 AM
I honestly can't see Disney picking the one that is bound to lose. But as others have said I am not going go out and start re buying all of the movies I own on DVD and VHS already. The switch from VHS to DVD was substantial it made sense alot clearer, better sound and picture but I don't have a huge tv so i don't need the picture to be crystal clear on a huge screen. It is great as it is. But I know eventually we will have to switch and I am going with what Disney goes with.

DizneyRox
08-22-2007, 03:20 PM
I honestly can't see Disney picking the one that is bound to lose.
Actually...

Divx, short for DIgital Video eXpress, was a DVD-ROM which was developed and promoted by several large companies including Disney, Dreamworks SKG, Paramount and Universal.

Divx is now defunct. And then let's not forget about:

Flexplay is a trademark for a DVD-compatible optical video disk format with a time-limited (usually 48-hour) playback time.

Also never made it off the ground.

It boils down to DRM pretty much, and let's not forget about $$$. I think that Sony, which is known for setting their own standards that never take off, probably does have the superior product, but will probably lose in the war between the formats. If I were backed into a corner and forced to purchase a HD unit, I would probably opt for a HD-DVD player. Sony has had too many stinkers to get me to go along with them anymore. I don't purchase based on name, not that Sony ever had a good name with regards to quality.

2Epcot
08-22-2007, 04:25 PM
If the studios continue to go their seperate ways on Blu-Ray and Hi-Def DVD, manufacturers will be forced to make a machine that plays both formats. I believe that is what will happen, and until then I will not be purchashing either one.

LaDracul
08-23-2007, 10:04 AM
If the studios continue to go their seperate ways on Blu-Ray and Hi-Def DVD, manufacturers will be forced to make a machine that plays both formats. I believe that is what will happen, and until then I will not be purchashing either one.

I hope so, but I'm not going to plop down hundreds for it right away.