PDA

View Full Version : DS has transferred to Syracuse

RedSoxFan
08-20-2007, 09:43 AM
What started out as a college tour last Monday for DS#2 who is a senior this year and for DS#1 who was thinking about transferring from Univ of Kentucky to Syracuse in the Fall 08 for his junior year turned into a whirlwind of a week. Chris just loved the campus and Newhouse School of Communications. He's majoring in broadcast journalism. He called SU on Tuesday to set up an interview for the fall transfer and on Wednesday we were back at SU for the interview. That interview turned into him applying on the spot for this year and being admitted to SU and Newhouse School on Friday and he accepted. The downside is that there are no dorm rooms available and he is now on a waiting list. In the past, rooms have opened up within a couple of weeks and I hope it happens again this year. We live an hour away and commuting for the year would not be good. And we looked at off campus housing; but are skeptical of just renting a room with people you do not know. So we're hopeful a dorm room will open up. As for UK, he had to withdraw his classes on Friday night as he was scheduled to move into his dorm this past weekend. He has loved the Kentucky Wildcats since Kindergarten; but he knows Syracuse is the place to be for his major. I am very proud of him. So some pixie dust for a dorm room would be much appreciated. Classes start next Monday.

BelleBeauty
08-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Congrats to your DS! Newhouse is a great school (I went not too far away to the Park School at Ithaca College). PM if your son is looking for internship contacts, one of my best friends is an on-air reporter at the ABC affiliate in Syracuse.

ElenitaB
08-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Your son won't be the only Intercot person at Newhouse... I'm sure the other will be along shortly (when he can tear himself away from his pre-school vacation).

Jared
08-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks for tipping me off to this thread, Ellen. I only come into this forum for special occasions. ;)

Though, I'm a little hesitant to post advice and congratulations for a Red Sox fan, especially one from Central New York, Newhouse is awesome even for fans of the worst franchise in sports!

I start my sophomore year at Syracuse in one week. I arrive on campus Saturday because I am on vacation with my family until Friday.

I'm a newspaper major, but a lot of my friends, including my roommate, are broadcast journalism majors. If your son has any questions, please feel free to contact me via e-mail or AIM.

I'll be happy to send my cell phone number and contact information so your son can find me during the first few weeks. I'm sure he'll be nervous and lost.

Let me know if you have any concerns or questions! I have my laptop on vacation and constantly check my e-mail.

pogo
08-20-2007, 03:56 PM
:congrats: to your son ! I hope he is either 7' tall and a basketball phenom or he is a 6'6" quarterback. We need him "up on the hill". :D

Dsnygirl
08-21-2007, 07:54 AM
Though, I'm a little hesitant to post advice and congratulations for a Red Sox fan, especially one from Central New York, Newhouse is awesome even for fans of the worst franchise in sports!

Hey now.... you've got another Syracuse Red Sox family here!! :D

Congrats on your son's admission to SU... their program for broadcast journalism is really phenomenal, and I'm sure he'll love it on the hill. We live in Marcellus, just outside of Syracuse, and have friends who work at the school -- I'll see if I can find anything out about dorm housing for you. Sending :pixie: his way that he'll find a spot!

Jared
08-25-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm moving in today. E-mail me if your son needs someone to talk to or a tour guide.

:)

ElenitaB
08-26-2007, 11:15 PM
Good luck to Jared and RedSoxFan's DS for a GREAT school year! :pixie:

RedSoxFan
08-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the congrats. We just got back from unloading his stuff into his dorm room. He was very lucky to get a room -- he only had to commute one day. It will be nice to have him an hour away (U. of Kentucky was 12 hours away) and he has his jeep at SU so he can come home whenever.

Dsnygirl
08-28-2007, 10:48 AM
:thumbsup: Tracey, I'm glad to hear he got a room!! I had a few residents on the prowl, but their resources are nowhere near as good as what he was probably able to do once he got on campus for a day!! That's awesome!! :D I'm hoping his first semester there is awesome... I'm sure he'll love it.