PDA

View Full Version : A question for the "old school" folks...

drevlo
08-20-2007, 03:22 AM
If you stayed at or near Disneyland in the early to mid 80's, then this question(s) is for you!
First....across the street from the Candy Cane Inn (and maybe north on Harbor a bit) there used to be a restaurant. I recall it being named the "Hamburger Hut". Does that place ring a bell? It was very Denny's/Bobs Big Boy-ish as I recall.
Also, prior to the Disney expansion, there used to be a Motel or two NORTH of the Candy Cane Inn (same side of the street). One was called the Cosmic Age. I cannot recall the other. What I remember most was a restatrant squeezed onto that location as well. The name escapes me, but I remember the roof was shaped and painted to look like a circus big-top.
Am I alone in remembering this?

Disney Babe
08-20-2007, 05:37 AM
I stayed at the Disneyland Hotel in 1983. The Marriot in 1982, when it actually had a good view of DL. The Jolly Roger on Katella, across from the parking lot, around 1973. The Heidi Motel in 1974 (same day as Nixon's resigination!) And the Disneyland Hotel around 1970 or 1971.

I think I might remember the restaurant you are thinking of. When I would drive to DL in the late 70's early 80's, I always would exit the parking lot by turning left onto Ball, and get to Harbor by then turning left on Katella, and left on Harbor. When I would turn onto Harbor I would also notice this coffee shop across from DL and note how there were so many people still out and about. I just don't remember the name! There was also a busy coffee shop on Katella between Ball and Harbor. I think one of those was a Denney's.

Hamburger Hut could be Burgerland.

I remember the Cosmic Age!

The building you are thinking of with the big top roof was Melodyland. It was on Freedman Way, which is now Disney Way. It was a theater in the round and then became a church. I remember being confused as a kid growing up looking at the marquee outside. First I would see names of performers and musicals, and then I would see names of preachers!

Google Disneyland + Melodyland + Burgerland and you should be able to get to info and pictures.

Just for fun some of the names of motels on Katella were Heidi, Three Musketters, Jolly Rodger. You could stay at those motels and walk into the back entrance of the parking lot, catch the tram and be in DL in no time. Or just hoof it all the way to the DL entrance.

Disney Babe
08-20-2007, 05:40 AM
Just remembered the restaurant on Harbor was Howard Johnson's!