PDA

View Full Version : Good deal--rental car!

tinksmom02
08-19-2007, 11:01 PM
I KNOW you guys will appreciate this! We are currently 33 days away from WDW. I booked an Intermediate-sized car (eg Pontiac G6) through Budget several weeks back for $210. We paid tons more last time, so I thought this was a good deal.

Last week, I got an email from Budget, used the code, and was able to score a Standard (eg Ford Fusion) for $158. Woo-hoo, right?

WRONG! Friday I got ANOTHER email, and now have a Full-Size (eg. Ford Taurus) booked for $140! Two classes up, for $60 less!

So excited! And I've still got weeks to go, who knows how many more emails I'll get?

Has anyone dealt with Budget before? My only rental experiences have been with Hertz, and I wasn't very pleased LOL so my expectations aren't that high.

r4kids
08-19-2007, 11:05 PM
I also got an email for a rental from Alamo. Picking up MCO, dropping off Disney Car Care Center 3 days later. $115!!! Down from $270!!! 33 dyas here too!!!!

shan-ash
08-19-2007, 11:23 PM
Great car deals!!! Maybe its a sign for continued magical happenings :mickey:

faline
08-20-2007, 06:15 AM
Many car rental prices go down in the few weeks leading up to your trip. When I rent a car, I frequently check back to see if rates are lower and, if so, I rebook at the lower rate. You will get to a certain point, however, where, as you get closer to your trip, rates will begin to climb again.

Congrats on lowering your costs!

goofyguy666
08-20-2007, 11:02 AM
I was able to book a full size from Alamo for a week in Oct. at 140. I'm interested in seeing how their On-Line Checkin works. Or, maybe trying out the kisosk to bypass the counter. Has anyone used either of these methods?

Dopey's Girl
08-20-2007, 04:35 PM
I had good rental car juju this week too! I use one of those name your price sites. I had a ressie for $124 for an economy (it's just mom and I) but got a standard car (2 classes up) for $95 the other day! Thats $30 more fun money!!!

Dawnzy
08-20-2007, 10:04 PM
I was able to book a full size from Alamo for a week in Oct. at 140. I'm interested in seeing how their On-Line Checkin works. Or, maybe trying out the kisosk to bypass the counter. Has anyone used either of these methods?

We did the online check in this past May, I really liked this way better! It was very easy to do, just grab your luggage pick a car and go to the drive thru to do paperwork quickly and be on your way :mickey: Returning car was just as easy too.

Gusgus
08-20-2007, 10:32 PM

I have done this several times, it's awesome. Check-in from home. Print out your contract and bring it with you. Walk to the car you want (there are signs above the cars for the classes economy, mid-size, full-size, etc.) and leave. At the gate you hand them the contract you printed out, your drivers license and the credit card you used when you checked in with on the internet at home. You must present the same credit card. MUCH better than waiting on a long line!

One note... I have not seen where you can do on-line check-in if you use a coupon. Discount codes or contract codes are okay, just not coupons. Whenever I selected a coupon the website wouldn't let me check-in on line. Maybe some others can share their expereince with coupons to see if things have changed. Personally, after waiting in a long line at the counter I would gladly of paid the $20 extra to not wait on line! So now I don't use coupons.

Gusgus

goofyguy666
08-21-2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the info guys. That certainly looks like the way to go.
PS. Can you wait until the day before pickupto do it?

Jen C.
08-21-2007, 01:58 PM
This thread just saved me $80 extra off my reservation. We had Alamo booked with the AMEX discount at $283 for 6 days for an 8 passenger (toyota sienna) minivan. For giggles I just checked the site again. This time the price was $203!
Thanks SO much for the checking and rechecking tips!!:thumbsup::number1:

r4kids
08-21-2007, 03:37 PM
This thread just saved me $80 extra off my reservation. We had Alamo booked with the AMEX discount at $283 for 6 days for an 8 passenger (toyota sienna) minivan. For giggles I just checked the site again. This time the price was $203!

Did you need an 8 passanger? The Caravan minivan holds 7 and is only $115 with your AX discount.

thrillme
08-21-2007, 04:04 PM
I've gotten really good deals through Costco too.

And as far as Budget goes. They're one of my tip top favorites. Alamo and Enterprise are close behind.

I admit that I have rental insurance covered through my credit cards and there's nothing that irritates :mad: me more than to have a clerk talk down to me when I say NO! (Budget and Alamo are very good about NOT bugging me about this). They tell me that it supposedly can take longer to get things settled through credit card insurance or "personal" insurance coverage rather than their's but...HELLOO...they're insurance is $15-20 a day MORE. That adds up over the week.

merlinmagic4
08-21-2007, 08:03 PM

I have an AMEX. Do you get the discount by using your card for the reservation or do I need to call them for a code?

I'm still paying 250.00 for less than 5 days in November (mini van). I'd love to drop that!

r4kids
08-21-2007, 08:33 PM
I have an AMEX. Do you get the discount by using your card for the reservation or do I need to call them for a code?

I'm still paying 250.00 for less than 5 days in November (mini van). I'd love to drop that!

You have to pay with your AX but you can save 15% off your car rental total. This is on Alamo. I am not sure about other sites.

Jen C.
08-21-2007, 09:23 PM
r4kids, I'm not sure about 8 vs. 7, I just know in the 7 we were very cramped last year with all of our baby gear.

merlinmagic4, on the Alamo website go to the tab "hot deals". From there you will see the "save 15% w/ AMEX" promo. This will automatically enter the codes for you.:thumbsup:

Thanks again r4kids!!!!:D

r4kids
08-21-2007, 09:54 PM
Hey no problem, we are out of the baby stuff stage, barely, but the Sienna does have more trunk space.

Butchiem1
11-16-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm not sure about 8 vs. 7, I just know in the 7 we were very cramped last year with all of our baby gear.

Jen C. - Im just curious, when you get there and you pick up your car, they just have a sign that says "minivans", dont they?

When I made my resservation, they didnt ask me anything, I just said I needed a minivan, I didnt specify size, and they booked me a 7 passenger one ( i only noticed after I went and tried different codes on the web and noticed the different classes)

If I dont say anything and just hop in a sienna, you think they will say something at the exit gate?

MiaBella
11-16-2007, 04:08 PM
I have a suv rental through Dollar for $198 for 8 days :cloud9: I already for it down like $40.oo

I have a CD# Oi1066