PDA

View Full Version : Pets

almccart
08-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Does anyone know if there is a place in or close to disney that will keep pets. I am picky so i want a good healthy and clean place. I am staying at disney pop century resort. I do not think they allow pets.:mickey:

Jeri Lynn
08-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Welcome to Intercot.

WDW does have Kennels. If you click on the Info Central tab above and scroll down to the bottom of the page there is a link to information on the kennels.

crazeedizneefinatic
08-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Be aware though, that if you use the kennels you are responsible for walking your pet at least 3 times a day. Disney does not offer that service. Which sounds like alot of hassle running back and forth. If you have to bring your pet you might be better off finding a pet resort in Orlando so your pet has a comfortable stay rather than held up in a confined area for hours on end. I would do some research online.

kathymk616
08-18-2007, 03:17 PM
I just wanted to chime in that the WDW kennels do NOTHING special for your pet. They won't take it out for a walk or play at all, even if you offer to pay extra (at least that was the case when we took our collie 7 years ago). We also thought the cages/crates were small. We decided never again at the Disney kennels.

TammiMcMan
08-18-2007, 04:39 PM
(at least that was the case when we took our collie 7 years ago).Another collie owner here, we have a tri-color :thumbsup:. We have a few nice kennels close by, but they really don't have the running space that a collie needs. We just leave her with a house/pet sitter and she is happy to have her yard and all the comforts of home.

Marilyn Michetti
08-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Our Bassett and Chow would be miserable staying someplace without us, so DD comes to the house while we're away, and we do the same for them and their three doggies when they go.

Spoiled rotten, but not by Disney. I'd NEVER leave them there.:shake:

illini
08-18-2007, 09:19 PM
The Disney kennels are not a good option at all.

I think it would be better to find someone near your home. That way, you can check it out in advance. If you get to Orlando and aren't happy with the kennel you found, you'll end up in a bind and that's not what you want. You also don't want to be worrying about your sweet pup at an unknown place.

Good luck! I know how hard it is finding good arrangements for dogs.

TheRustyScupper
08-19-2007, 01:14 PM
1) You would be best served to leave the pet at home.
2) Although WDW has kennels, they are only babysitters.
. . . they don't feed pets
. . . they don't walk pets
. . . they don't play with pets
3) You are expected to do these 3-times per day.

NOTE: WDW kennels were never intended to be full-service. There is a concern for the safety of the CM's. Any pet can "go off" and bite or scratch a CM, and this is to be avoided. Safety for the CM is paramount.

almccart
08-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions!! I want my dog to have the best care as possible. I know that i will not bring her to the kennels inside disney!! :mickey:

DDuck66
08-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions!! I want my dog to have the best care as possible. I know that i will not bring her to the kennels inside disney!! :mickey:

We are going to try and stay offsite for the first time for just that reason. There are several pet friendlies around the DTD area that can accomodate our little "Bostie". She is used to being alone for a good part of the day as we both work. We are staying at the Sheraton Safari Suites in Oct. We will post and let everyone know how it goes.

thrillme
08-20-2007, 12:37 PM
If you're willing to stay off-site...LOWES hotels are often "pet friendly".

I know Disney fans will curse me for this but...I believe the Universal Hotels are "pet friendly". I know the Royal Pacific had all sorts of little areas to take your pet out and you could keep them there. They even had "room service" for your pet...I thought that was kinda cool. I seem to recall they had other services as well.

Mine of course just stays home. My Mom usually takes care of them. This past summer my boyfriend who was unable to join us on our summer trip took care of my "menagerie" but next trip...he'll be with us (quite likely to be a bit more than a boyfriend by then :D) and Mom's Pet Care will be back in service. I also have several neighbors that I TOTALLY trust and a nephew that would do it too.

DizNee143
08-20-2007, 01:11 PM
NOTE: WDW kennels were never intended to be full-service. There is a concern for the safety of the CM's. Any pet can "go off" and bite or scratch a CM, and this is to be avoided. Safety for the CM is paramount.

i think that is a very poor excuse for disney!!

that can happen at any kennel in the world...though...
so its ok for it to happen at all the other kennels in the world (if god forbid it even has to happen at all) but disney employees must be safe from that?
why bother having a kennel at all then..if they cant go the full lenghts and be a real kennel...
i think with all the money disney has they should step it up and get a better kennel system!!!!!!!

Triplet Disney MaMa
08-21-2007, 12:40 PM
If you have a Pets Mart near you, they have a Pets Hotel. They take your dog out several times a day to play, you can have group play or one on one, you get get a room for them with a tv, they have a "bone" booth that they will put them in so you can cal them and talk to them. You can have special treats like ice cream. It is very nice I have never had any problems with them!

TammiMcMan
08-21-2007, 01:26 PM
i think that is a very poor excuse for disney!!I'm not a lawyer, but I imagine it has more to do with liability insurance and what's required for a fully licensed kennel. Having never put any of our animals there, I can't say what the demand is for their services, but considering they are a business, I've got think that the cost far outweighs the demand. Even though they may not be pet friendly, they don't seem to be having a problem filling up the rooms. For those that can't leave home without Fido, they have a choice of off site locations or Fort Wilderness.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-21-2007, 11:00 PM
We have worked out a dog sitting group in our neighborhood. :thumbsup:

Our family, along with two others, all have dogs. I have two, one has a huge older dog and the last has a very young puppy (their older dog passed away in the spring :(). We all help each other with walking, feeding and playing while each family is away. Each family takes a "shift" and makes sure all the fur babies are well taken care of.

One of the neighbors arrived in WDW this afternoon so we all start taking care of their dog tonight. We leave in 22 days and the last family arrives in WDW the 28th of September. :cool: We are all getting out fair share of the deal this year..lol.

Anyway, I don't know if that is an option for you. It did take a few vacations for us all to get the details so they worked well, so maybe it could be an option for you another trip.

It works well for us especially since it would cost a lot to board two dogs. We also do not feel comfortable having them boarded for ten days. This way they are in their own home, with their own beds and toys and get taken care of by people they know. Our friends even bring their kids over to play with our "kids".

Sorry this got so long..lol. :blush:

MNNHFLTX
08-25-2007, 11:10 AM
The Disney Kennels should not get too bad of a rap, as I do know people who have left their pets and have been happy with the facilities. However, the inconvenience to the pet owner of having to come back to the kennels to walk their dog several times a day is a frustration. Personally, I would look for a pet-boarding kennel close to your house. That way you could go inspect their facility personally and get local references. Even better, if you are able to find a responsible petsitter in your area, your beloved pets could stay home in their own environment. That's what we do for our two dogs and have found it to be only slightly more costly than boarding them.

If you do decide you want to board them, you can check out the American Boarding Kennels Association website (www.abka.com) for an accredited facility in your area or near Disney World.

mttafire
08-25-2007, 02:13 PM
1) You would be best served to leave the pet at home.
2) Although WDW has kennels, they are only babysitters.
. . . they don't feed pets
. . . they don't walk pets
. . . they don't play with pets
3) You are expected to do these 3-times per day.

Agreed. Even though we hate to be away from our CairnTerrier for a week..He's better off with grandpa!!:blush: At home.