PDA

View Full Version : Urgent: Possibly canceled trip...what can we do?

DisneyMelissa
08-17-2007, 04:56 PM
So my friend and I are supposed to be leaving to go to Disney on Monday. My friend, however, got an infection in her knee 2 days ago, and has been to the hospital numerous times since the infection started, going on and off of IVs for them to try and treat it. So far, there is no sign of it getting better, meaning she may have to stay in the hospital...meaning we can't go on our trip.

Seeing as we are both poor college students, we could not budget any more money to purchase the vacation insurance, so if she ends up needing to stay in the hospital, are we just out of luck and out $1500? We have been looking forward to this trip since January :(

The doctors at the hospital know that we are supposed to leave Monday morning, so they put her on the strongest IV that they can for the infection. They think that there is a good chance that it will start to clear up soon, but they said it is a time issue, and they probably will not know until Sunday on whether or not it is getting better. Once it starts to go away, she is cleared to go to WDW, but if there is no change or it gets worse, she has to stay.

Has anybody been in this situation before? The hospital is willing to write a letter explaining the situation to WDW, but I don't know if anything can be done seeing as we do not have the insurance.

Please help.. :(

sleepingbooty
08-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Now I could be wrong, but I believe the worst that would happen is you'd be out your $200 deposit (if you cancelled between 2 weeks and 48 hours of arrival). I'd call whoever you booked through ( or check the fine print on your travel docs) and find out immediately! Good luck and hope your friend recovers soon!

Donald
08-17-2007, 06:53 PM
First of all, call who you made the arrangements through, tell them the situation. You never know!

Second, even if your friend is released from the hospital, she may still be on IV antiobiotics for up to 10 more days. And, her knee may be uncomfortable walking all around WDW.

You may want to consider post-poning your vacation until she is 100%. Sorry :(

DisneyMelissa
08-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Well we called Disney and they will let us reschedule our trip and they will waive the 200 dollar cancelation fee. Delta will also let us reschedule our flights for a fee of 50 dollars each. The only problem is, next week is the only week I get off of work until February. Due to the HUGE project we are working on, rescheduling my vacation time will not my approved by my manager. So I'm not quite sure of what to do. My mom suggested that she purchase my friend's half of the vacation because she knows that I have had my heart set on this vacation for the past 2 years (because I could not go on the last family vacation), but I could not just leave my friend behind.

:(

The hospital thinks that it should start clearing up soon, and that she should look better and feel normal by Sunday (and be a-ok to go on a vacation and enjoy it), and that she would only have to take oral antibiotics, but since it is only Friday, it is too soon to tell.

Magic Smiles
08-17-2007, 07:18 PM
I really hope the your friends start to recover soon - before Sunday so that she can go. However, if she doesn't, then I think that I would take your Mother up on her offer in your particular circumstance. You can always plan another trip with your friend in the future.
Hope all works out for you both.:mickey:

DisneyMelissa
08-17-2007, 07:51 PM
We decided to take the refund on our trip. We are going to reschedule for the end of May when school lets out for both of us. My friend and I are going to try and take a mini-trip up to the Wisconsin Dells next week if her knee gets better.

disneynarula
08-17-2007, 09:21 PM
I am so sorry this happened to your friend (and you.) I know it must be soooo dissapointing to be so close to your trip and then have to postpone it.

Just think of all the fun you guys can have planning between now and then.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-17-2007, 10:55 PM
I'm sorry that you had to postpone your trip. But you loyalty to your friend is very commendable. That would have been a hard decision for me to make.
I hope your friend is feeling better soon.

crazypoohbear
08-18-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip.
I hope you have a great time in May though!
You are a good friend to cancel and not go with your mom.

PetefromRI
08-18-2007, 08:47 PM
I bet next May you'll be glad that you had to postpone.May is a great time to visit "The World" and your friend will be feeling good.I commend your loyalty.

KAT1811
08-18-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm sorry you had to rschedule your trip and I hope your friend is feeling better soon.

For me half of the fun of going to WDW is the planning, just think no you have more time to poke around the boards and fine tune your vacation so it's perfrect when you do get there!!!

snifflesmcg
08-18-2007, 11:00 PM
I didn't comment about what I think you should have done because, in the same situation, I don't know what I would have done. I'm glad you got your money back and you can re-schedule. Just think of the little money you did lose as the "trip insurance". I do hope you do enjoy your trip when you finally do get to go :mickey:.