PDA

View Full Version : Why are certain resorts left out of discounts?

FaithTrustPixieDust
08-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Can anyone tell me why certain resorts are left out of the discounts currently offered? Of course we resort we are staying at is not included. I hate to change resorts b/c we are all excited about our choice, but I hate to pass up possible discounts . . .

LauraF
08-17-2007, 03:55 PM
It can vary:

Sold out of promotional space
Sold out entirely
Arcane marketing reasons
More I'm sure I'm not thinking of . . .

rwdavis2
08-17-2007, 04:02 PM
They know they don't have to offer the discount to fill them up. Why discount something you know is going to sell anyway?
BD

CleveRocks
08-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Let's say you own a fruit stand. You bought 200 pounds of green apples and 200 pounds of red apples to sell. After a week or so, you only have 10 pounds of red apples left, but you still have about 180 pounds of green apples left.

The apples are going to rot in another week or two and be totally useless. WHAT SHOULD YOU DO???

The wise thing to do would be to cut the price of the green apples, or offer some sort of premium (a free salad???) to everyone who buys a pound of green apples. Would you discount the remaining red apples? Of course not! They are selling fine all by themselves and you are sure none of them will end up rotting because you are confident all or most of them will be sold before then. Since most of the green apples will rot and be worthless if you don't do anything, you are willing to sell them at a lower price or give some sort of "prize" away to people who buy them, because getting some money for them is better than getting no money at all.

Hotel rooms are like fresh fruit. If they don't sell, they are worthless after some amount of time. Just like a rotten fruit brings you no money, an empty hotel room brings the hotel no money.

So Disney only discounts the rooms that aren't selling as well. And when they start selling well enough (when the occupancy rate goes over some certain percentage) then Disney will take away the discount from them, too. That's why there still can be rooms available but no rooms that you can reserve using the discount code.

Make sense???

Gator
08-17-2007, 04:17 PM
I know that I was not happy about this on our last trip. We wanted to stay at POFQ, but when the discounts came out, it was for all the other Moderates. Since we had stayed at POR and CBR, we decided to try CS. It was so great there! Now I can't imagine going to FQ for any reason. So I guess all's well that ends well.

TheRustyScupper
08-18-2007, 01:27 AM
. . . Hotel rooms are like fresh fruit. If they don't sell, they are worthless after some amount of time . . .

So, non-discounted resorts are the pits?

Texas Tinkerbell Too
08-18-2007, 07:11 AM
[QUOTE=CleveRocks;1390503]Let's say you own a fruit stand. You bought 200 pounds of green apples and 200 pounds of red apples to sell. After a week or so, you only have 10 pounds of red apples left, but you still have about 180 pounds of green apples left.

The apples are going to rot in another week or two and be totally useless. WHAT SHOULD YOU DO???

Hotel rooms are like fresh fruit. If they don't sell, they are worthless after some amount of time. Just like a rotten fruit brings you no money, an empty hotel room brings the hotel no money.

Funny analogy :D! However, I don't think I would consider my discounted WL stay as worthless, rotten fruit. Believe me Disney is still making $$$ on these "sour apples."

Donalds Duckie
08-18-2007, 07:15 AM
So, non-discounted resorts are the pits?

:silly::laughing:

mrsgaribaldi
08-18-2007, 07:44 AM
Let's say you own a fruit stand. You bought 200 pounds of green apples and 200 pounds of red apples to sell. After a week or so, you only have 10 pounds of red apples left, but you still have about 180 pounds of green apples left.

The wise thing to do would be to cut the price of the green apples, or offer some sort of premium (a free salad???) to everyone who buys a pound of green apples. Would you discount the remaining red apples? Of course not! They are selling fine all by themselves and you are sure none of them will end up rotting because you are confident all or most of them will be sold before then. Since most of the green apples will rot and be worthless if you don't do anything, you are willing to sell them at a lower price or give some sort of "prize" away to people who buy them, because getting some money for them is better than getting no money at all.

So Disney only discounts the rooms that aren't selling as well. And when they start selling well enough (when the occupancy rate goes over some certain percentage) then Disney will take away the discount from them, too. That's why there still can be rooms available but no rooms that you can reserve using the discount code.

Make sense???

I don't think there could be a better explanation than this one :thumbsup:

CleveRocks
08-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Funny analogy :D! However, I don't think I would consider my discounted WL stay as worthless, rotten fruit. Believe me Disney is still making $$$ on these "sour apples."You kinda missed the point. I never said a discounted room is rotten or worthless, just like a lot of leftover fruit isn't yet rotten or worthless. I said it only becomes rotten or worthless if it remains unsold.

A discounted room, like ripe fruit, is often the sweetest of all!:cool: