PDA

View Full Version : Tink2006 yearly trip - on the road

tink2006
08-17-2007, 10:39 AM
We are back from a wonderful week long stay at WDW. As usual a wonderful time had by all!

Cast of characters:
DH, Mark
DS14, Marcus
Tink2006, Zaida

Date of voyage: 8/3/07 - Travel day

We actually hit our target departure time (4AM)imposed by DH. We traveled from Indiana to Orlando, stopping overnight in Valdosta, GA. We ran into heavy traffic/construction/accidents along the way so this slowed us down a little. We arrived in Valdosta around 6PM. It is always nice when you travel hundreds of miles without any major issues! We swam, ordered a pizza and tried to get some sleep. We left Valdosta around 9 AM. This would put us in Orlando around noon/1PM.

Our original plans were to leave Indiana Saturday morning arriving in WDW Sunday. At the last minute, we adusted the plans slightly by leaving Friday. Since our WDW reservations were for Sunday, we decided to stay off property for one night. We found a hotel on the internet that looked decent for one night's stay - Travelodge Suites Eastgate Orange. Boy what a mistake! When we arrived we did not even get out of the car. I told my DH drive around and check it out first. We could not believe it! I was not expecting the Taj Mahal but I was expecting a clean, safe place to sleep. When the drug addict stumbled out of one of the rooms and knocked on our window, we decided it was not safe and quickly moved on.

We drove around trying to figure out what to do. We have never stayed off property so we were a little lost. My vote was to go straight to WDW..do not pass go...beg for a room...vow never to stay off property again. The more adventerous better half, DH, wanted to look for another hotel off property. Since DH was driving, the power of the driver's seat will always rule. We found a Holiday Inn Maingate West that fit the bill. It was clean, safe and had rooms available. After we were in the saftey of our clean room, we were able to joke about the Travelodge.

We enjoyed a quiet afternoon by the pool and a nice meal in the hotel restaurant. We were able to watch some of the WDW fireworks from the hotel. It was a nice one night stay. The staff was firendly and the guests seemed to be having a good time. Again, high on the agenda was a good nights sleep....Tomorrow we go into WDW!

up next: Checking in to Port Orleans Riverside/ first day at the World

faline
08-17-2007, 10:41 AM
That long drive can get pretty tiring! I hope you arrive at Disney World well-rested!

shan-ash
08-17-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm with you about that Travel Lodge:sick:
Can't wait to read more :thumbsup:

pdrlkr
08-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Sounds like a good start! :thumbsup: :mickey:

January-2007
08-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Oh my gosh that hotel sounds so horrible! Good news is the next day it's on to WDW! Thanks for reporting. :thumbsup:

vizsla
08-18-2007, 06:55 AM
Sounds like your off to a great start. Thanks for the report.

Bethanymouse
08-18-2007, 10:39 PM
It sounds like you are off to a great start! Gotta love those early starts! Cant wait to read more! Thanks for sharing!:D

Bethis26fan
08-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks for sharing can't wait to hear more about your trip.

Lizzie
08-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the report. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip.

dolphinmickey9170
08-21-2007, 02:58 PM
Sorry to hear about Travelodge, we stayed there last year for 3 weeks, never once had a problem.