PDA

View Full Version : Shoes at waterparks

AvonleaCF
08-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Do you recommend wearing waterproof shoes all day at the waterparks? I'm trying to decide if I should bring an old pair of Teva sandals with me just for the water park (I know I can't wear them all day at the regular parks as they give me blisters). Or do you think Crocs are better at the waterparks? Can you go on all the slides with shoes on? I don't like going barefoot.

Jasper
08-17-2007, 10:19 AM
A lot of the surfaces at the waterparks are roughed up in one manner or another for better traction. All that roughness tends to get to my feet since I, like so many others, go around in shoes most of the time. So I would recommend some type of shoe at the waterparks.

As for crocs, they are great for walking around but I am not sure how well they would stay on during a rough water slide ride. Others may have first hand experience that says otherwise but I would tend to say that some type of form fitting sandal or an actual water shoe migh be better than a croc.

mttafire
08-17-2007, 10:40 AM
A lot of the surfaces at the waterparks are roughed up in one manner or another for better traction. All that roughness tends to get to my feet since I, like so many others, go around in shoes most of the time. So I would recommend some type of shoe at the waterparks.

As for crocs, they are great for walking around but I am not sure how well they would stay on during a rough water slide ride. Others may have first hand experience that says otherwise but I would tend to say that some type of form fitting sandal or an actual water shoe migh be better than a croc.
I agree. We wear water shoes. On some water slides it helps to remove them . As for walking around without shoes..I did it once and WOW did it get uncomfortable.

Lizzie
08-17-2007, 12:29 PM
On our last trip I wore a pair of Tevas at the waterslides and there were just a couple of slides I had to take them off. I will never go without shoes at a waterpark again.

g0189a
08-17-2007, 12:57 PM
I wish I had water shoes on our trip last month. I cut the tops of my feet at Blizzard Beach Snow Stormers. The nurse took care of me really well but that ended my day.

You can get going really fast on water rides by reducing the surface area your body is in contact with the mat. Physics says the more weight the faster your should go without resistance.

So on rides where you lay on your back, arch your back so that only the shoulder blades touch and your ankles touch. You'll fly down the slide! On the lay down on the mat style, keep yourself propped up mostly on a small set of points on your body.

However, I lost control on Snow Stormers. By the last turn sequence I went pretty far up the curve and scraped my foot on the very top of the concrete. It was a nice abrasion taking off the top layer. Slight bleed, nothing too painful except in my Keen's without socks. So I switched to sneakers the rest of the trip.

The nurse really did a great job bandaging up my three smaller toes. Very professional and got me in and out and on my way. Gave me a few more for a re-do and so I could buy some myself.

Glenn
Exton PA

IloveDisney71
08-17-2007, 09:16 PM
I have done the water parks without shoes in the past, but the last time I went I wore water shoes. I will ALWAYS wear them from now on. They kept my feet from getting sore. I had to take them off on one set of slides...I don't remember which ones. I just held them on the way and it wasn't a problem.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Depending on the time of year you go, the ground can be VERY hot. I'd wear the watershoes.

WDWfanatic742
08-18-2007, 05:06 PM
When we went a couple weeks back, they had the sprinklers facing the sidewalks pretty much everywhere at BB and if you went bare foot it wasn't as bad as what you would think they would. TL had less sprinklers facing the sidewalks and on, but there were still a couple. My feet after two straight days of 95+ heat on mostly cement around the water parks were burned pretty bad though and it took a few days to heal at home.

AvonleaCF
08-20-2007, 04:07 PM
I'll bring my Tevas, even though I'm not 100% sure if I'm doing a water park or not (over $40 for one ticket (with tax) is pretty steep...).

mook3y
08-21-2007, 09:34 AM
I'll bring my Tevas, even though I'm not 100% sure if I'm doing a water park or not (over $40 for one ticket (with tax) is pretty steep...).

Check out the water parks and more option.

It can be a better deal.

This is the first year we decided to get it and plan on using it to see both water parks, disney quest twice and the clubs at DTD once.

We are excited to go try them!

johnsouthjersey
08-24-2007, 09:52 PM
See my reply in "Water Socks In Parks" about water sandals. Adding to that : Have found It's good to take them off and rinse them under a shower when you can. Walking the paths, you can get small debris stuck in them, can cause irritation. I found Nikes had good arch support, saved my feet for future trekking thru the parks. Never have worn Crocs, they look a bit too rigid for water park comfort, but others could better say yea or nay. SP and SG were the only BB slides where we had to take off and hold our aqua-sandals on the way down.

brianlw71
08-25-2007, 09:12 PM
I would highly recommend water shoes. My husband and I went to Blizzard Beach a couple of years ago and I trip on a step and tore off the toenail on my big toe. Shoes are a must for me.

#1donaldfan
08-25-2007, 10:38 PM
aqua socks are a must. the walking surfaces can get pretty hot, even with water on them. if you plan on the park all day your feet will definatley be talking to you.