PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start?

ncrohrs
08-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Planning a Feb 2008 trip for me, DH, and 3 kids, ages 2(almost 3), 4, and 6. We went for a "mini" trip for 3 days in Nov 2006 and had time only for MK. Now we are back in Feb.for 7 days to do all the parks!

I need to come up with a schedule and allow some flexibility. And there is so much, where do I start?! Would you suggest planning ADR's first, then shows and activities? Keeping in mind we will probably need a break in our day.

We are staying at the Poly with Disney dining and getting a park hopper pass.

Thanks for any info!:mickey:

TINKERBELL_82
08-17-2007, 09:24 AM
You can start by deciding which parks you would like to do on which days by researching EMH's, etc. That info is available here on intercot.

Next, I would take a look at the dining guide and pick your "must do" restaurants, then make your ADR's.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a great trip!:mickey:

poeticeclipse
08-17-2007, 10:00 AM
This is the most exciting part about planning your trip!! It normally takes me a couple nights to get everything figured out.

First, I go to the touring plans site and look at the EMH's and the crowd calendar. Keep in mind that if you're okay with being early birds... EMH mornings are great and work at every park. The evening ones... not so much (IMHO). The only thing I use EMH evenings for is to see a show that I missed or won't get to see any other night i'm visiting. Look at the crowd calendar for the days that you will be there and see what parks are the best to visit on certain days. Mark down for that date that you would like to start your day there. You may choose to go someplace else later but you might as well start at the place with the lowest attendance statistically.

After that, work your ADR's in to your schedule. For example, if you know that you are going to spend one full day in MK and you would like to eat breakfast at Crystal Palace at some point. Make it the same day! Go early, get breakfast done and then take pictures in front of the castle and on Main St. without the enormous crowds!

If you ever need any help planning.. PM me! I LOVE doing it!

sleepingbooty
08-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Welcome to Intercot!

I would advise you to avoid EMH parks entirely. Unless you are a family of early birds and would normally be out the door by 7:30, its not worth it. Yes, that first hour or two is fine, but it gets so crowded after that that you'll want to leave. We'd rather sleep an extra hour, get to another park by 9am, stay until noon or so, then go home for a break. We get back to the park around 4, have dinner there and enjoy the park and nighttime events.

In my opinion, the best table service restaurants for kids are buffets and family style. You'll be in and out more quickly, which is good if your kids tend to have late afternoon meltdowns like mine. Since you're staying at the Poly, definitely don't miss Ohana, its our favorite.

Here's how I plan:
1.Check the touringplans website to decide which parks to go to on which days and plan our days (we don't hop with the kids, too hectic).
2. Once I know my park days, I plan ADRs for table service either in that park or a nearby resort.
3. As for touring plans, we only do one for MGM because so many of the attractions are shows. The other parks we just decide what we want to do as we go. If you're new to the other parks, you'll want to read up on the attractions (The Complete Walt Disney World by Julie Neal is great for ride descriptions) and figure out what are your "can't misses'. Then plan accordingly. Oh, and make sure you know how to use fastpass.
Have a great time!

ncrohrs
08-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks, great advice. I sat with my park hours, EMH's, and event times in front of me and finally I think I have picked what days for what parks. I don't know if we will do EMH's- we are not early risers or shoud I say we are not early get-around-and-out-the-door people.

Now for the ADR's, I guess these could change plans on some days, maybe. Can you book ADR's without having the trip booked? I plan on booking the trip this weekend but I have debated getting some ADR's made especially at the popular ones.

princessM0m
08-20-2007, 04:31 PM
You do not have to have hotel or other things booked prior to making ADRs. Make them as soon as you can; they take them starting 180 days out. Some require deposits (refundable with proper cancellation), but most do not. If you make them and then things change you can always cancel the ADR or change them if availability allows. Just don't overschedule yourself! One ADR a day is probably enough.