PDA

View Full Version : When to ditch the stroller???

threeh
08-16-2007, 05:35 PM
My youngest will be 5 for our Feb trip. I have a light weight umbroller but she really doesn't use a stroller anymore. Even when i go to the mall, etc she likes to walk. I'm just having fantasies about not lugging that stroller around, and it's really appealing. can I not take it and then worst case scenario if she needs rent one?? I'm just not sure if I should totally not bring it or not. Can I check it as baggage and it'll just show up with Magical Express and my luggage?? Thanks to all!!!:thumbsup:

Lizzie
08-16-2007, 06:00 PM
If you don't mind spending the money to rent one than I wouldn't bring it. If you hate the thought of renting one check it and magical express can bring it to your room. I believe that strollers and car seats don't count against you two checked bags. But I think if I had the money I would just rent so I wouldn't have to lug it on and off the bus. And you can park it in stroller parking in certain areas and than grab it when you need it.

PeterPanFan
08-16-2007, 06:14 PM
we rent a stroller everytime. For our 10/8/6 year olds. Now you might say this is crazy. I am not sure about the 10 year old this time but....They never get tired. they do take turns walking but we like to keep there legs fresh.

gardenia
08-16-2007, 06:16 PM
No strollers for any of my three kids after the age of 4, and they did great in every park. You'll feel amazingly free, and if your youngest gets tired, go back to the resort and swim. Rentals are also great, if you just can't do without.

Speedy1998
08-16-2007, 06:40 PM
If it was not for the 2 yo we would have made our 5 yo walk. However, it was easier to convince the 2 yo to use the stroller when the 5 yo was in one too. Normally neither of my kids use a stroller, but Disney is just too much walking for the 2 yo.

Jen C.
08-16-2007, 07:05 PM
My cut off was age 5.

kim1st
08-16-2007, 07:13 PM
My DDs (2 1/2 & almost 5) actually fought over the stroller.

We brought an old umbrella stroller that we were done with and threw it away down there so that we didn't have to lug it home. We used magical express and checked it as luggage.

Our plan was to rent a 2nd stroller down there, but only if necessary. We ended up just having them take turns instead of renting one.

It was funny (well - funny now - not so much then) - whenever they would notice that the stroller was empty, they'd both bolt for it and practically attack each other to get in.

I think that my oldest would have been fine without the stroller everywhere except Epcot. To tell you the truth, I wanted to ride in the stroller at Epcot...

crazeedizneefinatic
08-16-2007, 07:45 PM
We have always just rented also. I am debating this time around for September. My son is 6 and loves to walk so we don't use a stroller at home anywhere. My concern is that with the amount of walking involved at Disney he will get his horrible leg cramps. He gets them when he over exerts himself. Doctor said he will outgrow them and they have lessened as he has gotton older. But likely we will get one just to avoid that. I say if you can avoid dragging the stoller and don't need it for the airport or resort leave it at home. Strollers are always available if you need one.

Gusgus
08-16-2007, 09:15 PM
5 was the last year we used one. We brought an umbrella stroller, not too hard to lug around at all. I like them better then renting one. When the "herd" is leaving someplace like fantasmic or illuminations I would just close it up and carry it. EZ to get on and off the bus too.

Every child is different, some will be okay at 5 years others not. Do what you think is best!

Gusgus

TennesseeTink
08-16-2007, 09:40 PM
According to The Complete Walt Disney World guide by Julie and Mike Neal, the average WDW visitor walks approximately 7 miles/day and, boy, do I believe it. Imagine how all that walking can wear out those little legs. However, I wouldn't bring one from home, just rent one. That way you don't have to lug it on the plane, on the bus, etc. She may be okay in MGM, maybe even MK, but I would definitely get one for Epcot and AK. Make sure you bring a bandana or something bright to tie on the rented stroller so no one walks off with yours.

bkfree
08-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Our last trip our kiddos were 5 and 7 and we decided to not lug a stroller and worse case rent one if needed. Actually the trip before when my youngest was 3 we rented instead of taking one.I love the big wide rental with pockets, a hard cover and so easy to push.
We went for 6 days, did parks from dawn till dusk and never once even contemplated needing a stroller. Mine never once uttered the "tired" word or complained or in any way missed traveling on wheels. In fact, I think they had the best time of their lives that trip to WDW because they were always on their feet and able to explore at will all the nooks and cranny's missed on previous trips when they were riding instead of walking. We all had much more fun without the stroller, more footloose and fancy free. So my vote is go without, the rentals at all the parks give you an easy Plan B.

jsdt
08-16-2007, 10:50 PM
I think Gasgus' comment is right on - it depends on your kids and how much walking they can handle. It also depends upon the parents. We stopped taking a stroller when my daughter was 4, but she prefers to walk around and when she gets tired at the end of the day I just carry her on my shoulders anyway. It's easier to keep track of her and it doesn't slow us down trying to find the stroller.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-18-2007, 01:03 PM
We stopped bringing a stroller for my boys when they each turned 4. They have never had a problem with the walking. But, everyone is different. :)

We were going to skip the stroller this year for our DD who will be just shy of 4. We have finally decided to bring our own one more year. Even though she hardly used it last trip. It was nice the few times she did. I can't wait until next year when I am 95% certain we will be stroller free. ;)

If you think your DD will be fine without the stroller then I would leave it home..less to carry. But, if you think she might need it, and prefer your own over a rental, I would bring it just in case. Worst case, it sits in your room. We prefer to bring our own, so, if there is a question, it comes with us.

As for the airport/ME. We gate check our stroller and use it to lug the car seat, etc, to the plane and the ME bus. Then we fold it up and the driver puts it under the bus.

Have a great trip!!

CleveRocks
08-18-2007, 02:56 PM
If you check your stroller like regular luggage (NOT gate-checking it, but checking it at curbside or at the ticket counter), then it DOES get counted as one of your pieces of checked luggage. If you gate-check it doesn't count, but if it's checked as regular baggage it does.

Disney's Magical Express doesn't do automatic luggage delivery of gate-checked items. If you check your stroller just as another regular piece of luggage, then DME will automatically deliver it just like the rest of your checked luggage.

mttafire
08-18-2007, 03:30 PM
My cut off was age 5.

We do not have a child yet that is 5 but MY mother would agree. She NEVER allowed me in anything after 5.:) When our D.S. is 5 and soon to be (born)daughter we will stck with the 4-5 rule.:thumbsup:

septembergirl
08-18-2007, 04:20 PM
If you don't think your child will need one at the airport, going around the resort or to and from bus stops, then I save the decision for the parks and rent if you need to. Personally, we are going to take an umbrella stroller for the airport/resort and rent one in the parks. I think the stroller in the park will be more handy for storing things as well as being bigger and more comfortable. I may even consider getting a double so DS9 can take a load off if the day gets long. :thumbsup:

playdead88
08-19-2007, 01:57 PM
delta counts the stroller as 1 carry on - so we bring it - and my dd is going to be 7 when we go next time - i tell ya its nice to have for bags and drinks and tired 7 yr old legs - i think this may be our last year with "big orange" and im gonna miss her terribly - we got one of the joovy caboose strollers that have an area in the back that she can stand on - its made for 2 kids - a small one in front and the older kid in the back - we use the front for stuff and she likes being able to hop on and off the back platform whenever - its a cool stroller - :mickey:

Mom2princesses
08-19-2007, 07:51 PM
My older daughter turned 5 when we went to Disney she did not have a stroller. Even if we had one there was no way she was going to go into a stroller. She was fine. I personally think 5 should be the cut off. But every one has their own opinions. My little one is 3 and she'll definitely have a stroller although she loves to walk. But when she turns 5 no more stroller.

vamaggie
08-19-2007, 08:13 PM
When we go in Nov, DD will be 4.5 and we plan to bring the umbrella stroller for her. She likes to walk but also knows when she gets tired she can ride. Remember that walking 7 miles (the quote from a previous post) in adult legs is like walking almost 14 with little legs (they have to take 2 steps for your each one) and a tired/cranky tike makes for a nasty day. If she doesn't need it in the parks we can always leave it in the room but it is nice to have for DTD and other such excursions if needed.

crazypoohbear
08-19-2007, 08:53 PM
We have always just rented also. I am debating this time around for September. My son is 6 and loves to walk so we don't use a stroller at home anywhere. My concern is that with the amount of walking involved at Disney he will get his horrible leg cramps. He gets them when he over exerts himself. Doctor said he will outgrow them and they have lessened as he has gotten older. But likely we will get one just to avoid that. I say if you can avoid dragging the stroller and don't need it for the airport or resort leave it at home. Strollers are always available if you need one.

You should try to have him eat a banana a day. the potassium helps with leg cramps.

On the stroller issue, I loved having the stroller just to keep everything in it!
The kids didn't use it much but it was great to keep drinks, rain gear, etc.
My youngest loved to walk, my oldest would still use a stroller if he could, ( he will turn 18 down there :blush:, YEARS not MONTHS!)
When we were in NYC for Xmas shopping one year the oldest was about 8 and begged the younger one to let him ride in the stroller. He got his way, Turned out he had blisters on his feet but had never had a blister and didn't know why his feet hurt :(

Catzle
08-19-2007, 08:55 PM
We brought ours last year for our 5 and 8 year old. The 8 year old never used it and the 5 year old only used it like two or three times and that was only at night. This year we are thinking of skipping it all together as my oldest would be 9 and my youngest almost 7. We never use a stroller anytime throughout the year even at the state fair or local amusement parks so I think mine will be okay next year.

jonah'smom
08-19-2007, 09:34 PM
We actually took the stroller last year (DS turned 6 while we were there). Usually we only took it to the parks with us at night, so that he could sleep in it if needed on the way back to the room, etc. He didn't use it very much, and has already asked does he have to take it this year (December in the planning process!!!). I'm a little leary about not having it, but he is WAY too tall for it, so it's out of the question anyway. I too am a fan of having it to store drinks, bags, raingear, etc. in, so I will miss it terribly in that aspect. But, I am looking forward to not having to "stroller park" this year, and all the folding up for the trams, buses, etc.

We told him that he's "hoofing" it with us this year! Hopefully, he'll do great! Cause Lord knows we can't carry him!!! He's almost as tall as I am!

NJDad
08-20-2007, 06:59 AM
We ended up rented one for a short time on the last day when we were marching around the World Showcase with our 4 year old. We referred to it as his 'last stroller ride' (pending our next trip, of course). He even fell asleep for a little while, it was kind of sweet and nostalgic for his younger days.

aurorafan
08-20-2007, 11:58 AM
This is something we are currently debating on, so it's been a very interesting post to read. Here at home we do not have a stroller--our youngest turns 7 in 5 days :). But he also gets tired legs sooner than the rest of us and can get very cranky when that happens. I've read that the trek from the resort bus stops to the park entrances can be quite a haul, so we've gone from thinking we'd rent if we needed it to considering buying one to have for non-park hikes.

I like the idea one other poster had of bringing our own to the parks when we go back at night--I doubt he'll need it at the beginning of the day, but at the end I'm sure he'll be tired and it would be a lot easier to put him in the stroller than to carry him!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-20-2007, 05:37 PM
I've read that the trek from the resort bus stops to the park entrances can be quite a haul, so we've gone from thinking we'd rent if we needed it to considering buying one to have for non-park hikes.

Not only are the walks from the stops to the gates a haul for the little ones, at the end of parades, fireworks, etc, they are mobbed. I do not know if you are doing Fantasmic or not but, I swear we would bring our own stroller just for the walk from the exit of that show to the bus stop. My DD would have had a total meltdown with the crowds and length of walk without her stroller after Fantasmic. I realize you could probably keep the stroller to the entrance if you had a rental but, we had her all strapped into her own stroller and that was it. No having to stop, take her out and then walk with the large masses of people to the bus.

I feel better knowing that she is strapped in and not walking in those crowds. Of course, she is younger then your son. My son was 6 last trip and would hop on the back of my DD's stroller once and awhile when we were leaving the parks. (A Perego P3 with a child footboard on the back). He has not been in a stroller since he was 4 but, he liked getting a little "ride" on the back of Taylor's once or twice. ;)

Also, having your own stroller while waiting for the buses at night is a plus too. Taylor loves to rest in her stroller at the end of a long day while waiting for the bus to get there. Just make sure you have everything out of it and it folded up as soon as the bus gets there and you know you are making that bus. ;)

We are big fans of bringing our own stroller in case you couldn't tell.

Sunshine1010
08-21-2007, 02:36 AM
I may be alone here, but I get one for my son. ....EVERY TIME. He just turned 6.

He doesn't use a stroller at home, and he doesn't ask for one. We don't even own one. In fact, it would embarrass him. Heck, he doesn't even want to sit in the cart anymore at the grocery store.

But....he looks forward to getting a stroller at WDW. It's relaxing for him. He knows we have very long days. He never gets cranky. He has his quiet time. We have a place to put our bags or anything else. He doesn't tire and we don't get the 'pick me up mama'. If he wants to walk, then he'll walk. If he wants to ride, he'll ride.

We'll do it until he doesn't want one anymore.

Every child is different. Every family is different. No judgements here............. :-)

kakn7294
08-21-2007, 09:51 AM
It really depends on the kids. We did not use (but we did take our umbrella stroller) a stroller in Sept '05 when DD was 5. We did use one in Dec '06 - mostly because my 8 yo niece wasn't feeling well and the stroller was a good way to get her through the parks. She was well enough to enjoy the attractions but walking so much wore her out. This most recent trip last week, DD asked for a stroller once just a couple of hours before we ended the evening but we told her no and she never asked again. She did just fine for most of the trip (BTW, she's only as tall as the average 5 yo even though she's 7). I actually witnessed several adults being pushed around in strollers this trip - young, healthy-appearing men at that. Usually I just see them sitting in one waiting for the parades, fireworks, etc, but this time, they were actually being pushed around the parks.

cmay0507
08-21-2007, 12:35 PM
My daughter was five last year when we went and I bought an umbrella stroller before we left for $15 because I knew we would do a lot of walking and my daughter likes to be held a lot. She walks at the malls and everything but at WDW it's a whole lot more walking!! The stroller worked great for us because it was bright pink and easy to find when we came out of shows and rides!! She walked some but mostly sat in the stroller. We just left the stroller at disney for someone else to use because she does not use a stroller at home!! I am going again this year and I think I might get a stroller again I am still debating it because she is 6!! :mickey:

Disney Doll
08-21-2007, 01:52 PM
I took a 4 year old without a stroller and it worked out great. By age 4 she didn't want to use a stroller anymore and I didn't want to lug one around. I'm sure it just depends on the kid. Going without and having a backup plan of renting sounds like a good idea to me.

mickey&missy
08-21-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm debating this issue too. DS will be 5 in Nov and DD will turn 7 during our next trip. I'm not really concerned about DD, she can handle the walking. With DS I'm a little concerned he might get tired. Plus, he doesn't necessarliy pay attention to his surroundings and I'm a little worried he'd get lost. We'll have our fullsize Graco for our little DS, who will be 9 months at the time, so I can always put him in his sling on me and put DS5 in the stroller. But, we could rent a single and then if DD wanted to ride or sit from time to time we could do that. We rented a double for them in October and it was almost too small for both of them, I have very tall kids. Uggh!

If I wasn't concerned about DS I wouldn't rent one at all but I have a feeling we'll need it!

threeh
08-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Thanks all for the tips!! We are going to Hershey over labor day so I'm going to see how we do without a stroller for that trip. Can't wait for Disney!!:mickey:
Thanks again to all!!!!:thumbsup: