PDA

View Full Version : I have heard such great things about Zebra Domes!

Mom2princesses
08-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Unfortunately we are not going to Boma's but I heard that they do sell them at the AKL. Does anyone know the name of the place that sells them?

I just might go there to pick up some and at the same time check out AKL we have never seen it before!

princessM0m
08-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Zebra Domes are available at The Mara for grab-n-go--they are in the fridge. They are heavenly little cakes full of a creamy filling and you get about 6 in a container. I discovered them on our trip last December after hearing everyone rave about them--made a special trip to the AKL to try them and I wasn't disappointed! Too bad they don't sell them in the AK park. Have one for me!

Mom2princesses
08-16-2007, 08:04 PM
Zebra Domes are available at The Mara for grab-n-go--they are in the fridge. They are heavenly little cakes full of a creamy filling and you get about 6 in a container. I discovered them on our trip last December after hearing everyone rave about them--made a special trip to the AKL to try them and I wasn't disappointed! Too bad they don't sell them in the AK park. Have one for me!

Thank you so much! I'll definitely have one for you (maybe two!) :cloud9:

jsw123
08-16-2007, 11:56 PM
We were fortunate to dine at Boma when we were there in July. How wonderful! Best dining experience of the vacation. And, I'm not ashamed to admit, that I, too, was interested in the fanaticism of the Zebra Dome. I had one each with my soup/ salad, entree, and dessert trip to the buffet. Zebra Domes are DELICIOUS!!! (As are the soups, entrees, and other desserts at Boma. Especially the soup --- everyone says this, and, it is So true!) Can't go wrong there! Definitely walk around the resort. We went at night and were disappointed---until some wonderful guides offered us night vision goggles through which we saw many giraffes. Wonderful!:mickey::cloud9:

rnin02
08-17-2007, 12:47 AM
Zebra Domes are fantastic! I tried to make them at home recently and failed miserably. I can't wait till our trip (20 days!!) and we go over to AKL to get some. So yummy.

taradon
11-10-2007, 09:57 PM
I heard the zebra domes have coffee flavoring, is that correct? I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I hate the taste of coffee...

PetefromRI
11-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Zebra Domes also have alcohol in them.Unfortunatly I'm highly allergic to alcohol so I couldn't eat alot of the desserts at Boma.

Jared
11-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Zebra Domes are small cakes with lots of chocolate mousse, espresso and Kahlua, creating a delicious blend of chocolate and coffee.

Just mosey on over to The Mara and pick up a package or two. You'll be surprised how fast your family will finish the box.

princessM0m
11-13-2007, 02:03 PM
I heard the zebra domes have coffee flavoring, is that correct? I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I hate the taste of coffee...

Try them anyway--my DD8 tried them this last trip and she loves them and trust me, she is not a fan of coffee. You can hardly taste it. We brought some home and finished them up just last night. Can't wait to taste them again--it will be hard to wait so long!

Mom2princesses
11-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Wow funny to see this old post resurected!

Sorry to say we never did get around to trying them during our August trip. Ah the best laid plans! Anyhow it gives us an excuse to go again! Next time we'll have an ADR for Boma's to make sure we get to taste them! Boma and Le Cellier are my two must do's next trip!

mouseketeer mom
11-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Ok, Ok, flame me here..but I thought they were kind of weird. They tasted good, but they had a strange consistency, they were all jiggly and wet. I wouldn't go out of my way for them...Sorry. I'm sure I'll stand alone on this one.:blush:

ThanxForNoticin
11-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Ok, Ok, flame me here..but I thought they were kind of weird. They tasted good, but they had a strange consistency, they were all jiggly and wet. I wouldn't go out of my way for them...Sorry. I'm sure I'll stand alone on this one.:blush:

I doubt anyone is going to 'flame' you! Not everyone thinks of Zebra Domes as their favorite, which is why they also have the bread pudding, the cookies, the tarts, the brownies, etc. LOTS of great things to choose from on the Boma dessert buffet!

kathiep
11-15-2007, 07:51 PM
Not crazy about the zebra domes either! They were ok - but didn't even come close to the chocolate mousse :thumbsup:

RedheadWriter
11-15-2007, 08:12 PM
I think I might just have to try these the next time I go. They sound good.
Rachel

McGoofy
11-17-2007, 10:04 PM
I really like zebra domes. I picked up a container at The Mara and brought some home with me when we were just there. For those of you that were asking what was in them: I'm typing straight from the label--chocolate, sugar, eggs, gelatin, Amarula liqueur, cream, white chocolate, flour, baking powder, vanilla, shortening, and salt. There were 5 zebra domes in the container and the price was $3.69.

The "amarula liqueur" surprised me. I always thought it was kahlua because that is the ingredient listed in the recipe for zebra domes in the Disney cook book.

Anyhow, I enjoy getting zebra domes from The Mara. Just don't let them get warm. They taste best cold!

garymacd
11-18-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I hate the taste of coffee...

Yeah, me too. It always tastes like someone took some burnt beans, crushed them and strained hot water through them!:rotfl:

SignguyTom
11-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Not a big fan of the Zebra Domes. I'm glad I tried them once, but will likely pass on them in the future. Same with the Tonga Toast, except I wish I'd never tried it in the first place. :ack:

ldn324
12-11-2007, 04:02 PM
I just had to find this thread since I read it before our recent trip and, since we were staying at AKL, I thought this might be something of interest. Boy, is that an understatement!

Zebra domes RULE!! And I'm not much of a sweets person. But I found them very subtle - not sugar sweet. And the coffee flavor is so light, you really may not even know it's there unless someone told you.

We were at AKL four nights and bought four packages of zebra domes at Mara, then had them on the Boma buffet. I did notice that Mara only had the white ones and the buffet also had the tan colored ones. I prefer the white ones. I saw there was a recipe for them available but honestly, it seems like something a pastry chef is better off doing. I kind of think if you don't have pastry chef training, they may not turn out as good.

Anyway, thanks to those who helped me discover these wonderful and tasty treats! Not the only favorite, but definitely one new favorite dessert at WDW! :tasty:

rnin02
12-11-2007, 04:12 PM
I tried to make them once, it didn't go so well. I wound up with big blobs of chocolatey mess that really didn't taste too good. But the real thing is so yummy! I can't wait to get my fix next year!

TBY2225
12-12-2007, 09:13 AM
I agree with McGoofy. Eat them cold! The only time I have had them they were warm and not good at all! I will give them another try though!

SBETigg
12-12-2007, 09:19 AM

No, I agree that they weren't all that. I didn't mind the texture and they were tasty, but I wouldn't go out of my way for them. I wasn't overly impressed. I would go out of my way for dinner at Boma, and it's fun to look around at the AKL. But, otherwise, not worth a trip just to pick up zebra domes, for me.

As an aside, I also didn't taste coffee in them. Tasted more like Amaretto to me.

illini
12-12-2007, 04:28 PM

Ugh, I totally agree. The consistency was kind of like pudding that's been left uncovered in the fridge for a few days. BLECH!

HeyMoe
12-24-2007, 01:51 PM
We were all excited to try Zebra Domes after reading about them on this board. During our last trip we got to Boma's and I must say that both my wife and I were disappointed with the Zebra Domes. Maybe it was that we built them up so much after hearing about them for so long. I'm glad we tried them but we'll choose something different the next time we're at Boma's.

dolphinmickey9170
12-26-2007, 12:17 PM
My DH and I tried them for the first time last week. They are awesome!! We love them.

merlinmagic4
12-26-2007, 04:36 PM
For me, the zebra domes tasted too much like alcohol. I could actually taste it and I didn't like it.