PDA

View Full Version : Visiting with a 2 1/2 year old

heatherb
08-16-2007, 07:49 AM
:blush: Hi this is my first time on this site. It is helpful in planning our trip in October. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to a schedule of events that we should try to stick to having a 2 1/2 year old, such as what parks should we visit, specific times to visit different sections to miss the crowd, good character breakfasts, and any sugested activities we should try in the downtown disney area. We plan on staying in Fort Wilderness, so we were thinking about attending the BackYard BBQ. Any suggestions are welcome, as I am a bit overwhelmed right now as to where to begin our schedule for our 4 1/2 day vacation. Thanks!

BigRedDad
08-16-2007, 08:12 AM
With a 2 1/2 yo, my guess is a lot of time will be spent at MK. However, there are lots of things at the other parks as well.

Advice:
1. If you don't want to wait in lines to see characters, schedule Character meals
2. Go to the Campfire Show at FW. They have Chip n Dale there and Mickey too if memory serves.
3. Electric Water Pageant, Wishes, Illuminations, and parades at MK and AK at least.
4. Keep to your child's schedule as much as possible. Otherwise, meltdowns may occur.
5. Plan the must-see, like-to-see, and not needed attractions.

Enjoy your trip. We will be taking our soon to 3 yo next year in Oct/Nov/Dec.

mickey&missy
08-16-2007, 08:16 AM
:welcome:

My advice to you is this, stay on-site, use WDW transportation, make advance dining reservations, use fastpass, and let your little one be the guide once your there. If he/she needs a rest, rest, if he wants to go back to the resort and swim do it.

As for a schedule or plan it really depends on you and your family. You can have everything planned out to a T, you can have no plan and wing it or go in the middle. I prefer the middle, especially with little ones. There is a lot to see and do and many things can change a plan. But, don't try to do and see everything, it truely is impossible! Buy a good guide book, Birnbaum's is my fav, and go through and get an idea of what you want to do.

As for dining, in my experience to many breakfast ressies can make you exhausted. We did 3 in 2005 and, for us, getting up and out with a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old that early was tough.Try to spread it out between meals. Chef Mickey's is my favorite character meal, we've had dinner there twice. The characters are great, the buffet is good and as good kids selections and the have a cool make your own sundae bar. The Crystal Palace (Pooh and friends) is my #2, they have basically the same buffet as Chef Mickey's. Again, we've had dinner there twice, but I hear they have great breakfast. We haven't done Mickey's Backyard BBQ, but we have gone to Hopp Dee Doo Musical Revue. That is a lot of fun! Its also one of our favs. A guide book will give you good dining info too.

Enjoy planning! Intercot is a great place to come with questions and to get advice!

faline
08-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Welcome to Intercot!

Go, knowing that you will not get to see and do it all - particularly since you will be going at the pace of a 2 year old and you are going for a relatively short trip.

Disney World can be pretty overwhelming for little ones so I suggest planning a mid-day break back at your resort. When everyone's batteries are recharged, return to a park.

Here are some general tips for traveling to Disney with a toddler. (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/children/babytips.asp)

There are many great character meals in Disney. However, you may not want to make reservations for too many. Some toddlers are frightened by the large characters and don't want to get too close to them.

To be sure you get in some adult fun, make sure you're familiar with the baby swap option (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/children/babyswap.asp).

As far as planning your time, I'd suggest you start with a good Disney reference book such as Birnbaum's Official Guide. This book provides a great overview and is not as overwhelming as some of the other guides out there.

Once you're familiar with what is where, sketch out a plan for which parks you want to visit on which days.

If you want to do any table service meals or buffets such as the character meals, call as soon as possible to get a reservation. As reservations can be made 180 days before arrival, it might be a bit difficult getting the reservations you want for a time you want.

Don't make a plan that is too rigid. You might have a plan to make that next show and then find that you toddler is fascinated with a street show you pass along the way. Take time for these unexpected treasures!

crazykids
08-16-2007, 09:47 AM
You know your child, go at his/her own pace. I would suggest getting a stroller, there wil be a lot of walking involved for a 2 1/2 yr old to tolerate & it will make them get tired a lot faster then they normally would. I usually head back to the resort for a swim if it's a reallly hot day, but if we're in one of the parks & the kids start getting tired, I let them fall asleep in the stroller. I wouldn't worry about it, there's so much to see & do that your child should be very occupied.

I'll be there in September w/ my 3 - ages 20 months, 3, & 4. They have been there before & can handle an entire day at the park. Only you know what your child can handle. You're never going to see everything, so just focus on things that would make your child happy & don't focus on "must do's"

tiaramom
08-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Magic Kingdom is great , but dont leave out animal Kingdom. My 2 yr. old loves the safari ride( tons of animals really close up). FUN!!!
Lion King show- is filled with up beat music and bright colors ( air conditioned). Petting zoo.
Pocahantas show - this is really geared towards the toddler- small animals interact with songs and actors, the seating is low to the ground so the little kids can enjoy the show close up .
Nemo musical is really beautiful too- get a close up seat in theatre ( air conditined too)
Camp Minnie Mickey is a character greeting- you can always catch tons of characters here!
Plenty of fruit to eat through out the park - it gets hot and gets crowded fast( MUST GO IN MORNING!!!! EARLY) Bring a stroller! Plenty of resting spots (shaded with entertainment such as live african dancers ) Its an up beat experience. Go during EARLY MORNING A MUST! I then venture over to MGM park for
Little Mermaid show- its great ( air conditioned too) and Playhouse Disney live on stage ( air cond . too) its hot out there in the Florida sun..HA!! especially for toddlers. The Play house disney is loads of fun- the kids can interact with the4 show - dance etc.. seating is on the floor on a rug- be prepared! Then go eat a Character dining-
Here are my choices for your toddlers stay:

Crystal Palace is Pooh and Friends- cute,
good food, and nice surroundings At Magic Kingdom. Plenty of buffet foods to choose from!

Princess Storybook at Norway Epcot.. GIRLS THING! food is ok for kids , but great for adults( authentic menu of Norwat- kids eats though too) There are a ton of princesses here.
Its aGreat interaction!! Love it!

Liberty Tavern is MAgic Kingdom
is a darker restaurant inside - colonial
Foood is fab and totally kid friendly. plated - but all you can eat. Turkey/ mac and cheese/ desserts etc. Mickey and friends - interaction is great. Its a low key - layed back character meal- relaxing enjoyable and super fun!

Must do for little ones is Hollywood and Vine
Playhouse disney breakfast. The food isok
The character sare only geared for toddlers.
Its like preschool and dancing and singing and
crayons and food too. JoJo is here and its cute.
Food is ok- but its great for the little disney fans.

Down town Disney is great too
Lego play area ( free) and a small merry go round - its cute and while you shop - kids will enjoy some fun stuff too. Toy stores are fab.
save your pennies - shoppers heaven.
Kids can make a buch of stuff here-
My little pony, starwars stuff, tiaras, wands, etc.
Ice cream shops... Fun fun!

And yes...
Magic Kingdom is tops on the list by far
Its a small World and Carosel/merry go round
along with Tiki room - animated bird singing show- and flying carpet ride - Its a blast...
enjoy!!!

Cozfamilyof6
08-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Do order maps from Disney (see customized maps at the first page of the boards) and locate places you'd like to go after you've read reviews from guidebooks. I like the Unofficial Guide to WDW with Kids. The attractions are rated by age appeal. Once you decide where you'd like to go, have an idea where rides are located in the parks and make a flexible and general plan of attack. Order from Disney the planning vacation DVD too - great for getting you and your children ready.

Crystal Palace with Poof and Friends for Lunch -great!
We also liked Breakfast with Lilo and STitch at the Polynesian.

Most of all, relax and have fun!

kim1st
08-16-2007, 08:26 PM
My daughter was 2 1/2 when we visited last October.

I wrote a "Potty Report (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=87744)" when we got back that you might find funny.

Make a note of the Baby Station locations. There is one on Main St in the Magic Kingdom on the left-hand side, right before the castle. Great spot for diaper changes, afternoon snacks, of just a few quiet moments out of the heat.

My DD was all about the characters - MGM was actually a great place for characters, and there was definitely lots more there for that age group than I realized with the whole "Playhouse Disney" thing going on. Her favorite rides were Dumbo (and any similar ride). She did fine on Pirates & Haunted Mansion, but that was basically because she closed her eyes and kept her head buried in my shoulder the whole time. Teacups were great because we could enjoy them as a family.

The hardest time was nap time - we couldn't get her to fall asleep, so we lost a lot of time. By the time she'd finally crash, it would be almost time for our dinner reservations.

We weren't crazy about the Backyard BBQ. It wasn't terrible, but I don't think I'd do it again.

At around 3pm - every toddler in the Magic Kingdom was crying, so you'll be in good company ;)

Have a super fantastic time!!!!!