PDA

View Full Version : Smart or Dumb?????

nicole48040
08-15-2007, 11:35 PM
I don't really want the hassle of liquids in my carry-on BUT also don't want leaks in my suitcase, so.......if I take a leak-proof rubbermaid container and fill it with all that junk, can I put it in my suitcase or will that cause problems with security????? What is the best way to bring all that stuff????:confused:

BronxTigger
08-15-2007, 11:44 PM
You are talking about in your checked suitcase? I don't think that will be a problem. They do have the right to open any luggage, checked baggage included. If it looks suspicious on their machine, they'll open it to check it out. Use TSA approved locks or no locks at all. (TSA locks have a special symbol on them; looks kind of like a squashed diamond.)

In your carry-on, I think you can only use a quart size ziplock. If you are worried about that leaking, you can put that inside a rubbermaid inside your bag. But for security, you will have to put that quart size bag (with the 3oz items inside) on the belt by itself.

Kairi_7378
08-16-2007, 05:48 AM
I think the rubbermaid (in your checked luggage) is a good idea. I would consider using a clear one, just in case. On our last trip, I had the same concern as you and I packed everything in gallon-sized zip lock bags because they were easier to fit in the suitcase.

faline
08-16-2007, 06:00 AM
I take a completely separate, small bag which I check. That bag has all the liquids, etc. in it. If security wants to check it, it's easy enough to go through and I don't have to worry about things leaking on my clothes, etc.

ILoveLegos
08-16-2007, 08:50 AM
I'm a Physicist by occupation, remember to "brup the container" after you put all of your liquids inside of the rubber maid container. Otherwise, the lack of cabin pressure in the cargo hold could break your "leak proof" seal. I know from experience, the "extra pressure per square inch" could "pop your top" - thus providing no protection for your clothes. Hope this helps a little bit.
:thumbsup:

LauraF
08-16-2007, 09:21 AM
I usually double-pack my liquids in my checked suitcase. I'll put them in spillproof bottles and then pack them in either ziploc bags or the rubbermaid containers. That way if one fails, the other probably won't. I like the soft-sided bags because they pack better, personally.

Aggie97
08-16-2007, 10:22 AM
I've been really happy with leak-proof bottles from The Container Store. I always double-Ziploc-bag each item when it is going in a checked bag, just to be safe! :mickey:

disneynarula
08-16-2007, 11:18 AM
I take a completely separate, small bag which I check. That bag has all the liquids, etc. in it. If security wants to check it, it's easy enough to go through and I don't have to worry about things leaking on my clothes, etc.

This is the best idea so far. I am going to do this on my next trip. In the two times I have flown since they started doing "behind the scenes" bag checks they have opened my clear cosmetics case and left it and the containers with my shampoo open. :mad: Both times things have been ruined.

Just because you put it in a rubbermaid or cosmetics bag does not guarantee it will stay there.

nicole48040
08-16-2007, 04:04 PM
After reading all the advice, I am going with the completely seperate bag. It's the most cost effective and the best way to insure I don't have to do laundry as soon as I get to Disney:blush: Thanks all!