PDA

View Full Version : Poly or POP?

alaMode
08-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Hi!
Last year we stayed at the Poly from 4/26-4/30 and had a great time. The transportation was great, and that was a major reason for staying there in the first place. We were there a very short time, but managed to get around easily and quickly.

We had such a great time, we want to return in 2008. We can stay at the Poly for 4-5 days in early May, or stay at POP Century for 10 days in early June.

I'm worried about the transportation from the Pop Century to the parks. My son has cerebral palsy and uses a stroller specially made for children with special needs. Taking a break in the middle of the day is a must as he tires very easily...Will we have to wait a long time for an accessible bus? Does anyone have any experience in this area or any suggestioons?

Would you rather have a short stay at the Poly, or a longer stay at the Pop Century?

Thanks!
Tess

January-2007
08-15-2007, 05:50 PM
In your situation I would choose the shorter trip at the Poly not only because of the transportation and the fact that you've been there before and loved it, but also because early May has better weather and smaller crowds than June and I think that would make for a better vacation. Happy planning!

SBETigg
08-15-2007, 05:55 PM
A lot of people will disagree with me, but I would take a short stay at the Poly any day over the POP. The excellent transportation makes your trip that much more relaxing and enjoyable. You honestly do lose a lot of time to buses at some resorts. I've never stayed at POP, so I can't be sure, but I think Poly is the way to go.

MsMin
08-15-2007, 06:16 PM
While the Pop does have super bus service, 10 days is a long time esp. w/ a child w/ special needs. IMO Poly for 4 nights/5 days would be super.
Even if you took a very leisurely approach I think the convenience of the poly is worth it. If you go in June it will be getting hot and a mid day break is vital for many...

robnadina
08-15-2007, 06:20 PM
I agree with other posters. The Poly is the way to go. Had a wonderful time getting around from there.

jwallace378
08-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Another vote here for a shorter stay at Poly. I had the option of staying 3 nights at Poly or 6 nights at Coronado. Wife and I chose the short stay at Poly.

disneymom15
08-15-2007, 06:28 PM
I love POP. No problem with busses at all. I would think that the longer vacation would give you more opportunity to take on the parks at your leisure.

AllDisney
08-15-2007, 06:40 PM
I would also go with the Poly. The weather should be more pleasant while you are there. I think under your circumstances you need to be able to get back to the resort so you and your son and take a much needed break during the day.

I think you'll have a more enjoyable vacation staying at Poly! I think the longer stay at the POP might be to much.

goofyfan4466
08-15-2007, 08:49 PM
i would definately do the poly.

iheartmickey
08-15-2007, 10:07 PM
If I could only do one I would stay longer ... but in your curcumstances I would take the shorter vacation with the easier transportation.

OR you could do what we're doing and spliting our stay. We're staying at POP most of the trip and then ending it with a relaxing time at the Poly.

Good luck with your decision! :mickey:

tyandskyesmom
08-16-2007, 02:27 PM
LONGER and POP

I don't think the weather is that different between the two times (especially if you are talking end of May or the beginning of June). We have stayed at Pop and will be there for 13 days in January. We have never stayed Poly. While I would love to, I just could not part with that money and I could not stand leaving that soon! The transportation at Pop was fine. Obviously not as good as Poly but good. With a longer time in the heat you would not feel so stressed to see and do everything so quickly. You could take a few hours in the hottest parts of the day and go back and enjoy Pop and not feel like you were missing something. And actually from what I have seen of Poly, although the pool is beautiful, the options of water play at Pop are great: pools, kiddie pool with zero depth entry, and splash pad! I have not seen a bus at Disney that is not accessible...and normally there is not any or many people waiting for those sopts...they worst time might be at closing time but even that was not bad when we were there (it was on Thanksgiving and two nights following).

I think it would be a much more relaxed vacation with more time to enjoy it.

138 more days!!!

diznee_buzz
08-16-2007, 04:15 PM
We had a similar decision to make, though not exactly with the same constraints you have. Poly for 4 nights, or a value or moderate for 7 nights. We chose Poly - the transportation and accessibility is priceless. (We have a 3-year old and mid-day breaks are a must.)

However, we have just tacked on an extra day and will be staying at ASMo our first night. :cloud9:

I like someone else's suggestion of staying at the Poly for 3 nights and maybe a Value for another few nights. :thumbsup: this way, you can truly see for yourself what a difference it makes to your family to be at Pop vs Poly. this could be very important for future vacations. Also, you're not limited to a 4-night vacation this way!

Have fun, whatever you decide. :mickey:

PetefromRI
08-16-2007, 09:19 PM
How about 6-7 days at a moderate resort!That way you'll get a decent length vacation and still stay at a nicer resort.

asrai555
08-16-2007, 10:08 PM
I would say the poly or a split stay.

If you do do a split, make sure Poly is the last leg. It will be hard to transition from the monorail to the buses if you stay at Poly first, and then Pop.

I didn't have any problems with the buses at Pop when I stayed there. But then again I was a city dweller at that point and Disney buses seemed dreamy. To someone not accustomed to public transportation it might be hard.

big blue and hairy
08-17-2007, 08:01 AM
As beautiful as Poly is, I would definitely choose longer at Pop. From the fact that you haven't mentioned the length of the vacation being a problem for your child, I would definitely go for the longer.

Pop Century is a very nice resort, no it isn't the Polynesian, but it's nice and the bus service is very good. The bus drivers are very good about taking care of special needs. You shouldn't have any problem at all.

Go for length, and hey, you might be able to afford a little something special you wouldn't be able to otherwise. :mickey:

:sulley: